LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 119 users in the forums

OLB's in the 3-4/Sack Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Via official websites/depth charts

Stats: NFL.com

Through week 3, let's see how we stack up sack-wise to the rest of the 3-4 OLB's in the NFL:

Broncos:
Mario Haggan/Elvis Dumervil = 7 of their 10 sacks (70%)

Patriots:
Pierre Woods/Adalius Thomas = 1
Derrick Burgess/Tully Banta-Cain = 3 of their 6 sacks (67%)

Baltimore:
Terrel Suggs/Jarret Johnson = 3.5 of their 7 sacks (50%)

Dolphins:
Jason Taylor/Joey Porter = 3 of their 5 sacks (60%)

Browns:
Kamerion Wimbley/David Bowens = 2 of their 5 sacks (40%)

Cardinals:
Chike Okeafor/Clark Haggans = 2 of their 8 sacks (25%)

Chiefs:
Mike Vrabel/Tamba Hali = 1 of their 3 sacks (33%)

Packers:
Aaron Kampman/Brady Poppinga = 1 of their 5 sacks (20%)

Steelers:
LaMarr Woodley/James Harrison = 1 of their 5 sacks (20%)

49ers:
Parys Haralson/Manny Lawson = 1 of their 6 sacks (17%)

Jets:
Vernon Gholston/Bryan Thomas = .5 of their 4 sacks (13%)

Chargers:
Shawne Merriman/Shaun Phillips = 0
Antwan Applewhite/Larry English = 0 of their 3 sacks (0%)

Cowboys:
DeMarcus Ware/Anthony Spencer = 0 of their 3 sacks (0%)

I will keep track of these as the weeks progress to see how we are stacking up against the rest of the league. We have a total of 6 team sacks (5 by the d-line/DB's). While we seem to be getting moderate pressure, eventually, your OLB's primary job in the 3-4 is to get sacks and get sacks when it matters the most.

I noted that Haralson/Lawson would wear down this year b/c they will be taking every snap at the OLB positions and asked to rush almost exclusively and therefore, could end up with less productivity then last year where Lawson was subbed often and Haralson mainly came in off the bench on 3rd downs and teams weren't familliar with his game yet.

I'll let you discuss the importance of a balanced game but ultimately, the OLB's in the 3-4 have one job...rush the passer and rack up sacks (QB pressures and contribute to turnovers), just like it's the MLB job to lead the team in tackles or a RB's job to lead the team in yards from scimmage.

Note: I added team totals in sacks and the trend holds true for 3-4 defenses...team sacks go as the OLB's go. Period.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 1, 2009 at 12:04 PM ]
Thanks alot, great post! Hopefully our linebackers step up.
In short the Niners just don't have a pass rusher on this team point blank. Besides from Haralson who is putting in a lot of effort I just don't see it from any LB on this roster. The d line3 has been playing lights out, but yet still no real outside rush. This is the week tha i expect to finally see Manny beat somebody one on one and make a play. But once again i'm probably expecting something from Manny that he just isn't able to do.
Originally posted by lamontb:
In short the Niners just don't have a pass rusher on this team point blank. Besides from Haralson who is putting in a lot of effort I just don't see it from any LB on this roster. The d line3 has been playing lights out, but yet still no real outside rush. This is the week tha i expect to finally see Manny beat somebody one on one and make a play. But once again i'm probably expecting something from Manny that he just isn't able to do.

Yup! manusky has also been switching Manny/Haralson a lot too but neither have been effective in this regards. This is why I want them to start working Brooks in more b/c he seems to be a better fit for the 3-4 in terms of his skill-set. Having just one guy in there who can rush opens up opportunities for other guys as well. Both Sopoaga & Smith have played fantstasic so far opening things up for them both but the only ones who've cashed in are the d-linemen and in particular, McDonald who leads the team with 2 sacks in limited snaps.

PS: Screw Nolan and his #1 ranked defense!!!
we'll get a lot of sacks this weekend
I was just about to post a thread about Parys Haralson. We all have been thinking that he was going to be our best pass rusher and he very well still end up being that guy. But where has he been these last 2 games. He might have had some pressures against the Vikings but we really could used a sack on the last drive. Would have taken at least 12-15 seconds off.
it makes no difference WHOS getting the sacks, as long as we are GETTING sacks. which we are. we are getting much more pressure this year
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yup! manusky has also been switching Manny/Haralson a lot too but neither have been effective in this regards. This is why I want them to start working Brooks in more b/c he seems to be a better fit for the 3-4 in terms of his skill-set. Having just one guy in there who can rush opens up opportunities for other guys as well. Both Sopoaga & Smith have played fantstasic so far opening things up for them both but the only ones who've cashed in are the d-linemen and in particular, McDonald who leads the team with 2 sacks in limited snaps.

Yea it's like i can't believe it Soap, and Franklin are playing like beasts. But the OLB's can't take advantage of that. And Nolan having a number 1 ranked defense is a clear indication of what this team is missing. A certified pass rusher. Dumervil's ability to beat tackles and create havoc makes the rest of there roster look 10 times better. While Manny can't even beat a TE. Just having that reputation around the league gives you a slight advantage,and gives opponents something to game plan for. Colts defense has horrible players But they look decent b/c Freeney and Mathis stay on the qb's ass. While folks always say it's easily the coach and his scheme it comes down to players. And I've been hard on your boy Brooks but it's time to get him in there more often and see what happens. I remember him making one nice tackle in the backfield and that was it though. Gotta eat against the Rams this week. Put the DB's in one on one coverage and attack Bulger/Boller all day long.

I thought you would add the tasmanian devil, TBC to the scr** mix.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

I thought you would add the tasmanian devil, TBC to the scr** mix.

Hahaha. TBC, the human spin-cycle. That said though, it brings up a great point and how important scheme is. He plays great in NE, comes here and sucks goes back to NE and leads the team in sacks and QB pressures. That, my friends, is scheme. I'm a skeptical fan of Manusky but I don't like his schemes very often and I don't always feel he plays to our player's strengths.

Yea it's like i can't believe it Soap, and Franklin are playing like beasts. But the OLB's can't take advantage of that. And Nolan having a number 1 ranked defense is a clear indication of what this team is missing. A certified pass rusher. Dumervil's ability to beat tackles and create havoc makes the rest of there roster look 10 times better. While Manny can't even beat a TE. Just having that reputation around the league gives you a slight advantage,and gives opponents something to game plan for. Colts defense has horrible players But they look decent b/c Freeney and Mathis stay on the qb's ass. While folks always say it's easily the coach and his scheme it comes down to players. And I've been hard on your boy Brooks but it's time to get him in there more often and see what happens. I remember him making one nice tackle in the backfield and that was it though. Gotta eat against the Rams this week. Put the DB's in one on one coverage and attack Bulger/Boller all day long.

Brooks? I believe he was in on one series where he diagnosed a play beautifully, blew up the field and made an 8 yard tackle for a loss, then he knocked down a pass in coverage and I believe had a good pressure/edge contained well and then they sat him down for the rest of the game.

But in terms of his overall game, he hustles his ass off, has an EXPLOSION (2nd gear when he sees the QB, RB, TE or RB), is bigger, stronger then Manny, not as tall, better center of gravity, plays the edge very well while containing RB's and is better in coverage then most think. He also has the ability to bull rush and speed rush around OT's and does a better job of disengaging blockers. He's got the skill-set, the talent, the hustle and motivation this year...now he just needs to be worked into the lineup on a regular basis. In 3 snaps he did more then most of our entire individual defensive players did.
If you think about it, Lawons and Harralson are doing more than producing sacks. All of the hits, hurries, and ass. sacks are also helping us.

As long as were in the + in turnover ratio, that's fine with me. Not to mention that our D is getting respect as one of the tougher football teams
Sacks are overrated. Our pass-rush pwas very god against ARI and MIN, not so much agaisnt SEA.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
If you think about it, Lawons and Harralson are doing more than producing sacks. All of the hits, hurries, and ass. sacks are also helping us.

As long as were in the + in turnover ratio, that's fine with me. Not to mention that our D is getting respect as one of the tougher football teams

I'm sure you could say the same thing for ALL of the OLB's in the 3-4 but most are still getting sacks too. I did notice that many of the other LB's also have comparble tackles/assist but more INT's, FF's & passes defended. The difference = low sacks.
Originally posted by FourNine49:

I'm sure you could say the same thing for ALL of the OLB's in the 3-4 but most are still getting sacks too. I did notice that many of the other LB's also have comparble tackles/assist but more INT's, FF's & passes defended. The difference = low sacks.

Yeah you're right . But given the fact that we had no personnel changes in the front 7 from last year, and we're seeing considerably better results, I'll take it. That just goes to show you that the coaching and mentality of this team is better off. GO NINERS!
Share 49ersWebzone