LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

This Loss will do more for us then the win

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Learn the Difference Between Than and Then

by Tina Blue
October 24, 2002

In another article ("Learn the Difference Between
Affect and Effect") I commented that I almost never see the words affect and effect used correctly. In fact, misuse of these words is so common that I have come to believe that most people no longer have a clue about how they are properly used. Probably most people are not even aware that they are two separate words.

Another pair of words that I see misused far more often than not is than and then. As with affect and effect, than and then are so commonly misused that I suspect that more than mere carelessness is involved. I now believe that many people are either unaware that they are two separate words, or if they are aware of the two words, they have no idea of which is which.

THAN

Unlike then, than is not related to time. Than is used in comparative statements.

EXAMPLES:

~Another pair of words that I see misused far more often
than not is than and then.
~He is taller than I am.
~Other than the interest on a small inheritance, he had no income.
~Today's students certainly do seem to read less than students in previous generations did.
~We learned more on the playground than we did in the classroom.
~Despite their lack of flavor, the hothouse tomatoes cost far more than those from the farmers' market.

THEN

Then is used either as a time marker or with a sequence of events.

EXAMPLES:

~I took all of the exams in the morning, and then I spent the rest of the day catching up on sleep.
~Back then we knew what was expected of us.
~I bought apples from this orchard last summer, but I seem to remember paying more for them then.
~Look over the study guide first, and then if you still have questions bring them up in class.

Just trying to help a brotha out.
Originally posted by Youngone:
I have to reply again and say that your idea might be the stupidest stretch from reality ever besides the poll about whether we would win if Crabtree was on the field.

So if we would have beat the Eagles way back when in 94 instead of losing 48 - 8,
and went on the lose to the Chargers in the Super Bowl you would have liked that
better? How I am stupid if we rip off 9 - 10 wins and this loss is what provided
the wake up call the team needed to do that....
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Learn the Difference Between Than and Then

by Tina Blue
October 24, 2002

In another article ("Learn the Difference Between
Affect and Effect") I commented that I almost never see the words affect and effect used correctly. In fact, misuse of these words is so common that I have come to believe that most people no longer have a clue about how they are properly used. Probably most people are not even aware that they are two separate words.

Another pair of words that I see misused far more often than not is than and then. As with affect and effect, than and then are so commonly misused that I suspect that more than mere carelessness is involved. I now believe that many people are either unaware that they are two separate words, or if they are aware of the two words, they have no idea of which is which.

THAN

Unlike then, than is not related to time. Than is used in comparative statements.

EXAMPLES:

~Another pair of words that I see misused far more often
than not is than and then.
~He is taller than I am.
~Other than the interest on a small inheritance, he had no income.
~Today's students certainly do seem to read less than students in previous generations did.
~We learned more on the playground than we did in the classroom.
~Despite their lack of flavor, the hothouse tomatoes cost far more than those from the farmers' market.

THEN

Then is used either as a time marker or with a sequence of events.

EXAMPLES:

~I took all of the exams in the morning, and then I spent the rest of the day catching up on sleep.
~Back then we knew what was expected of us.
~I bought apples from this orchard last summer, but I seem to remember paying more for them then.
~Look over the study guide first, and then if you still have questions bring them up in class.

Just trying to help a brotha out.

I didnt see anybody use than or then at all in any of these posts. im confused

nevermind the title has it
[ Edited by valrod33 on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by JMyaer:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by valrod33:

OK so I search for my main point about the 'NFC West all losing and making week 3 a push' and didn't find anything so which thread are you guy saying is out there I missed I would like to know, so I don't make the same mistake twice, thanks

the title of your thread is almost the same as this

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=130536

Thanks I missed that should have post there, my Bad
I understand what you're trying to say. But I think 99.9% of us would rather be 3-0 right now instead of getting the moral victory. From all I've read, the team is responding the way you would hope a team would respond after a heart breaking loss like that. We'll see on Sunday how they truly respond.

GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whew...and when we were 2-14 earlier this decade, that whole losing season did more for us, right? After all, we did "earn" the #1 overall draft pick and used it wisely, am I correct? He's a beast!

Sarcasm aside, I just don't agree w/ that logic.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I understand what you're trying to say. But I think 99.9% of us would rather be 3-0 right now instead of getting the moral victory. From all I've read, the team is responding the way you would hope a team would respond after a heart breaking loss like that. We'll see on Sunday how they truly respond.

GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for that and your right about 3-0 but, since only one teams gone undefeated losses will happen and if they can be used to propel wins I'll take a few but, believe me I don't like them either but it's the nature of the game.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Whew...and when we were 2-14 earlier this decade, that whole losing season did more for us, right? After all, we did "earn" the #1 overall draft pick and used it wisely, am I correct? He's a beast!

Sarcasm aside, I just don't agree w/ that logic.

You have a point but, the difference now is there is hope and we are playing
like a team it's not like other teams can count us as an automatic win anymore
I know what you mean, it was a morale victory and inspires confidence and hope for the rest of the season ...But I'd sure like to be sitting at 3-0 right now
Share 49ersWebzone