There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

It's Time to Call Out the OL.... Again

I'm not doing backflips about our O-Line, but 24 points has to be enough to hold up in their house.
I've been an advocate of securing OL talent for some time, but I'm not sure that the OL needs to called-out for this effort vs Minnesota. It's one thing for the HC to say, "I want to be able to run it, when the opposition knows that we are going to run it". It's another thing to block the run consistently, when the defense is over-loaded in that direction with more defenders than blockers, and when the OC refuses to trust his players enough to make the defense pay for selling-out to the run, by burning them with the pass.

Minnesota is very good upfront on the DL. THe Williams boys and Allen seem to be cut from the same cloth as the old Vikings of Alan Page, Jim Marshall, Carl Eller and company. No OL is going to defeat these guys on every play.

Bobb McKittrick proved a long time ago, that a successful OL does not need (5) 1st round picks along the front. 1 or 2 players of this ilk are necessary, but not all 5. In this case Staley, Baas and Rachal are all Round 1-2 picks. That should be enough. Baas may be moving-on in 2010, especially if he cannot stay healthy for the 2009 season, so that may dictate an OG pick in Round 2-3 in 2010.

I have some confidence that OL Coach Foerster is making a difference after years of Warhop mediocrity.
1) While your calling out the O-Line (which I agree with) you might as well call out the WRs, because they aren't showing us that they can get open.

2) You might want to call out the play calling when it get's too predictable (like on 1st and 2nd downs most of the time).

3) There is no one that would be worth a squat to trade for right now.

Maybe it's time for the O-Line and WRs to "buck it up".

Now would be a good time to do that.
This is the second time in three games that the o-line lays an egg. We have to get better up front or it will kill us! With all that said we aren't being blown outr because of the O-line so I guess it's working.

We also have a young O-line so they should get better each year. Staley and Rachell 2 & 3 year players while Bass & Snyder are 4 & 5 year players so we are still very young. I do think a few of these guys will be replaced next year either through free agency or the draft.
I don't think that it is the OLine itself but rather the blocking scheme that is being used. All these damn pulls and what not. Damn just straight up blocking would be better for our run game than all these damn pulls that these G's are doing. Now our LT and RT situation is depressing.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
If there's a BRICK WALL in front of you, do you insist on going THROUGH it or do you try and find a way around it?

Jimmy Raye tried all day to go through it, just as he tried to do the same with the Cardinals and the results were basically similar.

There's only one man that I know of that can consistently go through that wall and he's a fictional character. To keep blaming the Offensive Line for not being able to move an 8 man front in addition to the run blitzers is assinine!

It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to realize that you must do something different to get around an immovable object!

Is he available in free agency?
Originally posted by jimbagg:
I've been an advocate of securing OL talent for some time, but I'm not sure that the OL needs to called-out for this effort vs Minnesota. It's one thing for the HC to say, "I want to be able to run it, when the opposition knows that we are going to run it". It's another thing to block the run consistently, when the defense is over-loaded in that direction with more defenders than blockers, and when the OC refuses to trust his players enough to make the defense pay for selling-out to the run, by burning them with the pass.

Minnesota is very good upfront on the DL. THe Williams boys and Allen seem to be cut from the same cloth as the old Vikings of Alan Page, Jim Marshall, Carl Eller and company. No OL is going to defeat these guys on every play.

Bobb McKittrick proved a long time ago, that a successful OL does not need (5) 1st round picks along the front. 1 or 2 players of this ilk are necessary, but not all 5. In this case Staley, Baas and Rachal are all Round 1-2 picks. That should be enough. Baas may be moving-on in 2010, especially if he cannot stay healthy for the 2009 season, so that may dictate an OG pick in Round 2-3 in 2010.

I have some confidence that OL Coach Foerster is making a difference after years of Warhop mediocrity.

This.

It would be nice if we could replace Baas and Snyder with two studs.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I've said this in my thread a few days ago and I'll repeat it. We have 3/5ths of a solid line. We need a stud LG and a RT that can handle rushers adequately enough and provide good push in the run game.

Exactly, I completely agree. Hindsight is of course always 20/20, but Michael Oher would have solved that RT problem.
like others have said, it's not hard to look excellent against the run when you know for sure it's going to be a run and bring 10 into the box. also, i dont get how the f**k each opponent we have is able to run offsides and not get called for it. it's like the nfl is giving us the serious shaft
You know its really funny to read posts that say we shouldn't have ran OR we only gave up one sack.

I have one stat for you:

NOT ONE 3RD DOWN CONVERSION FOR 60 MIN.

Sorry that's a blocking BOTH pass and run problem. Only one sack because Hill RUNS for his life. The defensive line penetrated all game. That's poor talent at the OL.

You all are making more excuses for the OL than for Alex.

You should expect your oline to get at LEAST ONE 3rd down conversion.
I agree with the original post, but Coach Sing already beat you to it 2 weeks ago...:-)
Originally posted by NinerGM:
You know its really funny to read posts that say we shouldn't have ran OR we only gave up one sack.

I have one stat for you:

NOT ONE 3RD DOWN CONVERSION FOR 60 MIN.

Sorry that's a blocking BOTH pass and run problem. Only one sack because Hill RUNS for his life. The defensive line penetrated all game. That's poor talent at the OL.

You all are making more excuses for the OL than for Alex.

You should expect your oline to get at LEAST ONE 3rd down conversion.

0 for 11. And, we lead the NFL in three and outs.
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
O line and Offense grades: Week 1.

Offensive stats Week 1

Offensive Stats Week 2

Week 3's to follow this week, but Pashos, Sims and Snyder are not going to get the job done, I'm amazed that with all those 3 playing varying amounts today that we hung with one of the best defensive lines in the game and only went down by 3 points.

There has to be a SERIOUS upgrade in this next draft, heck, I'd take a Tackle and a Guard in Round 1 if it means looking after Hill and making lanes for Gore Sheets and Coffee.

Wow. That's an excellent website. Kind of luminates everything better. I'm a big stat guy so this stuff is awesome to look at.

Just for s**ts and giggles I'll list where every 49er is ranked at their respective position in the league so far.

Look at these defensive rankings so far!

DE (3-4 only)
Justin Smith - 1st overall/1st pass rush/24th run
Ray McDonald - 13/9/26
Isaac Sopoaga - 40/20/47

DT
Abrayo Franklin 9/15/25

ILB
Patrick Willis 16th overall/64th pass rush/4th in coverage/16th against the run
Takeo Spikes 24/47/8/31

OLB (3-4 only)
Payrs Haralson 2/1/29/2
Manny Lawson 35/40/2/25

CB
Nate Clements 3rd overall/1st in coverage/16th against the run
Shawntae Spencer 5/9/16
Dre Bly 31/28/46

S
Michael Lewis 55/75/20
Dashon Goldson 100/100/69
Mark Roman 20/19/32
hmm... if im not mistaken, last week when gore ran for 200+ our o line was fine? knee jerk reaction much?
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
1) While your calling out the O-Line (which I agree with) you might as well call out the WRs, because they aren't showing us that they can get open.

2) You might want to call out the play calling when it get's too predictable (like on 1st and 2nd downs most of the time).

3) There is no one that would be worth a squat to trade for right now.

Maybe it's time for the O-Line and WRs to "buck it up".

Now would be a good time to do that.

They are getting open but either Hill gets rushed too fast or he ignores them. The O line has to give him the time he needs to feel comfortable to set and throw down the field.