LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 162 users in the forums

Singletary and Raye have to learn from this loss

Shop Find 49ers gear online
And I'm hoping like he'll they're learning. Believe it or not, at this stage in the season WE ARE A BETTER PASSING TEAM THAN A RUNNING TEAM. In today's NFL, being unpredictable gives you the best shot at winning. Not blindly adhering to some scheme just because. Teams are able to disrupt our running game with ease, and it doesn't look like we're doing much in the way of adjusting.

The funny part is we could be so much better by making only MINOR changes. I'm not saying that we just start chucking it down field on every play. I'm saying it's little stuff. When they key in on the run (which teams are doing all the time now), start throwing some quick outs, slants, bootlegs, screens, whatever it takes to keep them honest. When they start to respect the pass, the run all over their asses.

Why do I get the feeling this little nugget of common sense is all but lost on Jimmy Raye? I hope Sing gave him an earful for those last two drives. They were horrible. Just terrible play calling. I standby my statement that Favre should have never had the chance to stage a comeback against us.

There is no excuse for us failing to run out the clock.
Don't blame Raye. Singletary said post-game that he supported those play calls. The D is very good, but a bit too much was asked of them.
Raye needs to stop being so facking predictable. On that last drive why didn't he dial up a pass play and try to get a 1st down?. We cannot depend on the defense to win games for us all the time. Understand we were trying to let the clock run down but if we dial up a pass play and no one is open, we can take a sack and the clock will still run down.

I'm sure this game took a lot of energy out of most fans on this forum as it did to me, still piss as hell..
[ Edited by Juniorminime on Sep 27, 2009 at 9:10 PM ]
I agree with those of you who say Raye is so predictable. Hill has lead great long drives in the 2nd half of all 3 ball games this season. My question is why can't you open the play book and let him do that the first half? I understand the wearing down the defense, but Hill has proven that he can take care of the ball and move the chains, to keep defenses on the field for 6,7,8,9 minutes drives. If we let him toss the ball around we could get a lead and then continue our success in running.
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Don't blame Raye. Singletary said post-game that he supported those play calls. The D is very good, but a bit too much was asked of them.

I'm seriously hoping that was just coach speak and we're going to switch it up more.

I really hope so.
  • GONINERSGO
  • Info N/A
I agree completely, hopefully Singletary learns from the mistakes here. For such a team who's motto is to be aggressive, why exactly did we get in those situations after we had the lead and completely play NOT to lose? Minnesota completely knew what we were doing. Was a play action too much to ask, especially on the last possessions? I had a sinking feeling in my stomach knowing we were giving Favre the ball back with so much time left, and guess what? It came back to bite us. I really do hope that Singletary learned a lesson. Being tough physically and mentally in no way means you can't pass the ball.
the play calling is holding the offense as well as the whole team from being not just good but really good and capable of winning easily instead of these hair pulling close gms
"I want WINNERS!"

"But we coach not to lose"

I really think they should have dialed Shaun Hill again and asked him to put the game away.

I feel if you have them down, go for the jugular and put them away.

If you wait for a win, a miracle might happen to pass by and get in the away. - DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!
Raye is the problem. he sucks!
Originally posted by AKfanster:
I doubt little will change after today. They should've learned after the AZ game when we won thanks to PASSING THE BALL.

This run at all cost just cost us a win. What's wrong with taking what the D gives you? If the defense is geared up for a run, you pass and vice versa. Our Oline isn't good enough to run against 9 defenders in the box every week.

No OL in history could block 9 guys. It is likely the OL is not happy about being criticized when they are being asked to to the impossible.

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i swear we better murder the rams. i dont want another close heart stopping type gm def against the rams of all teams

+1
NO damn way we should lose this game! If a team is stacked up for the run,u pass pass pass,it's not rocket science. Im not one of these guys who is always on here b***hin' and complaining about the play calling but this was RIDICULOUS! WE PLAYED NOT TO WIN...WE SHOULD BE 3-0,WE ONLY NEEDED TO THROW IT 6 YARDS MAN! SHOW SOME TRUST IN SHAUN HILL! RAYE SUX ASS!
Originally posted by Mister49:
NO damn way we should lose this game! If a team is stacked up for the run,u pass pass pass,it's not rocket science. Im not one of these guys who is always on here b***hin' and complaining about the play calling but this was RIDICULOUS! WE PLAYED NOT TO WIN...WE SHOULD BE 3-0,WE ONLY NEEDED TO THROW IT 6 YARDS MAN! SHOW SOME TRUST IN SHAUN HILL! RAYE SUX ASS!

Did you submit your OC resume to the Niners FO?
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Mister49:

Did you submit your OC resume to the Niners FO?

Amen!

Create your own destiny. Don't punt it to somebody else.

Like what I said... If play passively and wait for a win, a miracle might happen to pass by and get in the away.
Share 49ersWebzone