There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Singletary and Raye have to learn from this loss

Right up front, let me say that Mike Singletary is a wonderful motivator. His, "We run on teams when we want," has instilled a sense of mental toughness into our team. And his, "Are we our brother's keeper? Yes we are!" has produced a team solidarity not seen during the Nolan years. Just look at the transformation of Vernon Davis from a me-me player to a team captain. All good.

But those last two series, at around 5 and 2 minutes, in which we ran the ball 6 times without getting a first down, allowed Favre, a future HOF gun-slinger QB to win the game.

Obviously, the tactic should have been to keep the ball out of Favre's hands. The notion that we could run on the Vikings, when they expected us to run were best illustrated by Coffee getting -2 and -5 yards on the last two attempts.

Shame on you Jimmy Raye and Mike Singletary for making it easy for the viking D by taking away the pass as an option. Your D played a tremendous game, holding All Day Peterson to 85 yds on 19 carries. Your offense scored all their TDs on passes, with Coffee averaging about 2 yds/carry on the ground. Yet you ran 6 times in a row without getting one first down.

Basically, Raye and Singletary had a collective brain fart. Learn from this that no matter how tough you are, if you simplify the game for the opposing D by telegraphy your intention to run, you just make it harder to execute your offense.
right on but we may not be able to teach an old dog new tricks they may need to put jr to sleep (fire his one dimensional ass) and shame on you Sing for letting him run the ball on third down. THIS OFFENSE NEEDS TO DIVERSIFY IN PLAYCALLING, great game HILL AND DAVIS I do love the niners but it seems wer'e selling ourselves short with sh!tty OC's pay someone Jed no matter what it would cost
I doubt little will change after today. They should've learned after the AZ game when we won thanks to PASSING THE BALL.

This run at all cost just cost us a win. What's wrong with taking what the D gives you? If the defense is geared up for a run, you pass and vice versa. Our Oline isn't good enough to run against 9 defenders in the box every week.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
I doubt little will change after today. They should've learned after the AZ game when we won thanks to PASSING THE BALL.

This run at all cost just cost us a win. What's wrong with taking what the D gives you? If the defense is geared up for a run, you pass and vice versa. Our Oline isn't good enough to run against 9 defenders in the box every week.

And just as I predicted too...when you got 8-9 defenders shooting through the gaps and run blitzing, it's inevitable that our o-line was going to get hurt. We lost both Staley & Baas (and Gore) today. Who's next?
Originally posted by AKfanster:

We want winners Sing that includes our O coordinator.
"We are not a charity. We will not give them the game."

Hmm?

Game 1: We go three in out late in the game twice and GIVE Warner the opportunity to win the game. That almost burned us.

Game 2: We should have beat the Seahawks by more but they were always within two scored to win. Again we ran it instead of scoring more points. We gave the seahawks the chance to beat us.

Game 3: We had two chances to kill time and we couldn't hold the ball for 2 minutes. Again more running. We gave them a chance to win.

Why are we just giving them the ball? This is not smart football. It seems that when we are down and NEED a TD we are able to drive down. Its when we are playing keep away is when we screw up.

We are NOT A CHARITY
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
"We are not a charity. We will not give them the game."

Hmm?

Game 1: We go three in out late in the game twice and GIVE Warner the opportunity to win the game. That almost burned us.

Game 2: We should have beat the Seahawks by more but they were always within two scored to win. Again we ran it instead of scoring more points. We gave the seahawks the chance to beat us.

Game 3: We had two chances to kill time and we couldn't hold the ball for 2 minutes. Again more running. We gave them a chance to win.

Why are we just giving them the ball? This is not smart football. It seems that when we are down and NEED a TD we are able to drive down. Its when we are playing keep away is when we screw up.

We are NOT A CHARITY

You should copy ,paste, and email this post to one of the Matts... to possibly get this memo to Singletary, because you are spot-on with your thoughts on this topic. Singletary could adjust with acting on these views
Originally posted by mebemused:
Right up front, let me say that Mike Singletary is a wonderful motivator. His, "We run on teams when we want," has instilled a sense of mental toughness into our team. And his, "Are we our brother's keeper? Yes we are!" has produced a team solidarity not seen during the Nolan years. Just look at the transformation of Vernon Davis from a me-me player to a team captain. All good.

But those last two series, at around 5 and 2 minutes, in which we ran the ball 6 times without getting a first down, allowed Favre, a future HOF gun-slinger QB to win the game.

Obviously, the tactic should have been to keep the ball out of Favre's hands. The notion that we could run on the Vikings, when they expected us to run were best illustrated by Coffee getting -2 and -5 yards on the last two attempts.

Shame on you Jimmy Raye and Mike Singletary for making it easy for the viking D by taking away the pass as an option. Your D played a tremendous game, holding All Day Peterson to 85 yds on 19 carries. Your offense scored all their TDs on passes, with Coffee averaging about 2 yds/carry on the ground. Yet you ran 6 times in a row without getting one first down.

Basically, Raye and Singletary had a collective brain fart. Learn from this that no matter how tough you are, if you simplify the game for the opposing D by telegraphy your intention to run, you just make it harder to execute your offense.

I totally agree with you. Coach Sing pulled a "Nolan" on our last possession today. He got too conservative on offense, and allowed Favre to win the game. On 3rd and 6 in the last possession, you've got to let Hill try and get a first down with the pass. The probability of running it for a first down was probably less than 10%. Why not do a play action, and get Hill out of the pocket for a dump off pass, and we get a first down and win the game. Favre has killed us with too many of these last minute drives to put the ball in his hands again when our defense is tired.
ENOUGH ALREADY

our defense was dominating the vikings...we ran the ball and made them use all 3 of their time outs and made them go 80yds w/ no timeouts

SINGLETARY DID THE RIGHT THING

it just didn't work out, it was an unbelievable pass/catch by favre and greg lewis.
All I can say is norv turner would have called a play action pass to Vernon in both games...sorry Raye but you are looking a lot like Hostler right now than you are Norv...

Note to Raye...when the game can be put away...take off your diaper in you choice of calls. We got away with it vs the cards but that ain't going to fly often. You might have a strategy to have them use their timeouts, but I think everyone else wants to win!
[ Edited by bergy07 on Sep 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM ]
i think we've shown improvements in each game. A win today would of been spectacular, but a loss didn't really hurt us since everyone else in our division lost as well.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i think we've shown improvements in each game. A win today would of been spectacular, but a loss didn't really hurt us since everyone else in our division lost as well.

Yep. It was a great game. All our strengths and weaknesses were on display. We're very close. One play-action or screen call would have been the difference.
Singletary is a smart guy, he probably already knew stuff like this might happen.
As a few have said, we are playing not to lose.

After watching the colts game tonight. They were still passing, even when leading by 21 points. Fact of the matter, we need to include more passing and try to put more points on the board. I hate these small victories. There is just as much of a chance of Hill throwing a pick as Coffee fumbling the ball. I am disliking RAye more and more with each game...

IF anything, Raye and Sing need to learn that we need to control the clock in the 4th quarter to conserve our lead. And in case they are not listening, the run isn't cutting it.
i swear we better murder the rams. i dont want another close heart stopping type gm def against the rams of all teams