There are 173 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Blocking WRs

What I haven't seen talked about much is our WRs blocking skills on running plays. Not sure about Bruce, but I know Morgan did well vs. Seattle. And next season, could easily see Morgan and B. Jones as our starting X and Z receivers. They're pretty big guys who could block well downfield.

Anyway, here's a good article, shows how unselfish Morgan is even though he got zero catches. We need to extend his contract early like we have for several other players...

"This is Josh Morgan’s version of trash talk.

After Sunday’s game, he teased fullback Moran Norris, telling him, “You better watch out. Frank is running behind my blocks, not yours.”

Wait a minute: A receiver talking smack about his blocking prowess? What in the name of Ochocinco is going on around here?

Receivers are supposed to be NFL’s spoiled brats who write books like “Just Give Me The Damn Ball.” There are wideouts who are whineouts, forcing their way out of town with their petulant behavior.

Sometimes, receivers even get labeled as divas.

The 49ers’ current corps, however, has a rare appetite for the grunt work. Since rushing for 207 yards on Sunday, Frank Gore repeatedly praised his the blocking work by his receivers.

Gore said the perimeter blocking helped open up his touchdown runs of 79 and 80 yards. Morgan and Isaac Bruce, in particular, sealed off lanes to help make Gore’s big day possible.

“I’ve always liked blocking, even in college,” said Morgan, who is 6-0, 219. “You don’t want your man making the tackle. I was always taught that your man better not even be in the picture.”

Morgan didn’t seem too bothered by the fact that he has just three catches for 38 yards this season. Arnaz Battle seemed unfazed, too, despite totals of three catches for 23 yards.

“We definitely want to go out there and help Frank get the job done. We want to give him the best opportunity we can,’’ Battle said. “(Blocking) is part of the job. Blocking comes down to will and want-to, and I’ve always had that.”"

Rest of article.
I'm glad they can block. Too bad they can't run and catch.
This is a good read.. I'm in the mindset that I want the Niners to win week in, week out.. I don't believe we could get extremely far by what we are doing, but I don't understand why after 2 wins, so many people complain about our WR's not getting looks..

I believe eventually that they will be getting looks and catching a lot more passes, but the fact that our guys are team guys that love every aspect of their role as a team player is much better..

Every one seems to forget that the OC they complained about in the offseason is the one that we just signed in the offseason.. This is a new offense that we are running.. Peyton Manning can run the team his way because it's been like that for years.. Eventually, the play calls will open up for Hill as both Hill and Raye get more comfortable with each other..
Oh definitely, nobody is talking about J-Morg's blocks, they were f**king huge on Sunday! I think it's amazing to know that we have wide receivers who take pride in blocking, cause most big-name (diva) wide receivers like Randy Moss feel as if they're beyond such a duty.

-I remember huge plays in the 80's/90's where Jerry Rice would set up monster blocks for Steve Young, Craig, and John Taylor down the stretch.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 24, 2009 at 2:20 PM ]
  • wolfpack219
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Oh definitely, nobody is talking about J-Morg's blocks, they were f**king huge on Sunday! I think it's amazing to know that we have wide receivers who take pride in blocking, cause most big-name (diva) wide receivers like Randy Moss feel as if they're beyond such a duty.

-I remember huge plays in the 80's/90's where Jerry Rice would set up monster blocks for Steve Young, Craig, and John Taylor down the stretch.

Because real teammates and receivers (like Jerry Rice) want to be champions no matter what their roll. Kids that want to be popular only care about one handed catches and "b" button moves. Go Niners!!!!!!!!!!
[ Edited by wolfpack219 on Sep 24, 2009 at 2:30 PM ]
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

Yes, it may have come to this.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

Yes, it may have come to this.

More like too bad the QB can't get them the ball, they have been open several times and Hill dumps it off to one of the backs or tight ends. Hill/Raye have to open it up for us to continue to win. Not every team sucks at run defense as much as the shehawks minus tatupu.
The blocking WR's go with our blocking TE ------ they are being taught that we are a running team.
Oh definitely, nobody is talking about J-Morg's blocks, they were f**king huge on Sunday! I think it's amazing to know that we have wide receivers who take pride in blocking, cause most big-name (diva) wide receivers like Randy Moss feel as if they're beyond such a duty. -I remember huge plays in the 80's/90's where Jerry Rice would set up monster blocks for Steve Young, Craig, and John Taylor down the stretch.

there are a few good wrs that block well. reggie wayne, anquan boldin, antonio bryant, eh thats most of them i think.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Oh definitely, nobody is talking about J-Morg's blocks, they were f**king huge on Sunday! I think it's amazing to know that we have wide receivers who take pride in blocking, cause most big-name (diva) wide receivers like Randy Moss feel as if they're beyond such a duty. -I remember huge plays in the 80's/90's where Jerry Rice would set up monster blocks for Steve Young, Craig, and John Taylor down the stretch.

there are a few good wrs that block well. reggie wayne, anquan boldin, antonio bryant, eh thats most of them i think.

Um... I think you forgot someone there buddy... Take a look at who comes SPRINTING into the scene at about 17 seconds... This guy makes key blocks with the best of them...
Originally posted by zozell:

Um... I think you forgot someone there buddy... Take a look at who comes SPRINTING into the scene at about 17 seconds... This guy makes key blocks with the best of them...

and remember 2 years ago when cryton broke a 60 yarder. who sprinted to catch up and throw a meaningless block at the goalline?

yep terrel owens.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Terrell Owens.
I actually was going to include TO but he was the first guy who came to mind so I forgot about him when i was thinking about other players. thanks for listing him though. anyone else i forgot.

edit: i forgot hines ward. he is a bit dirty but hes still a beastly blocker so...
[ Edited by WillistheWall on Sep 25, 2009 at 1:29 AM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
I actually was going to include TO but he was the first guy who came to mind so I forgot about him when i was thinking about other players. thanks for listing him though. anyone else i forgot.

edit: i forgot hines ward. he is a bit dirty but hes still a beastly blocker so...

Josh Morgan.