There are 48 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Singletary's reshaping of Niners

Originally posted by Adman:
Who is the division rival who is dating his daughter?

O.j Otowge (sp)?
One thing that is not mentioned that I noticed is a decision in game 1 that was made by Singletary that was NOT a good decision. But first, let me go back to 2006, our second game against the Rams: remember, the infamous "We would have made the playoffs if we win this game", game.

Our defense was shutting down the Rams all day except for one drive just before the half the Rams made. We have the ball and are on 4th down with was it just under 2 minutes and Nolan decides to kick a field goal because our defense was dominating the Rams.

Well, the Rams drove right back for the win.

Coming back to week 1. Singletary decided to go with an extremely safe offense, giving ARI two chances under 5 minutes with a chance at a 2 minute drive. This time, our defense held.

I just wonder if anyone noticed the similarity of the two situations with similar decisions made by the head coach but different outcomes.
Originally posted by Joecool:
One thing that is not mentioned that I noticed is a decision in game 1 that was made by Singletary that was NOT a good decision. But first, let me go back to 2006, our second game against the Rams: remember, the infamous "We would have made the playoffs if we win this game", game.

Our defense was shutting down the Rams all day except for one drive just before the half the Rams made. We have the ball and are on 4th down with was it just under 2 minutes and Nolan decides to kick a field goal because our defense was dominating the Rams.

Coming back to week 1. Singletary decided to go with an extremely safe offense, giving ARI two chances under 5 minutes with a chance at a 2 minute drive. This time, our defense held.

I just wonder if anyone noticed the similarity of the two situations with similar decisions made by the head coach but different outcomes.

Of course I noticed it. Funnily enough, you make a thread comparing Alex Smith's 2006 season to Shaun Hill's 2009 season and then post this. So you're saying in 2006 we had a chance to win 8 games, and Nolan was at fault for losing us one game (probably more) because he was the WCOAT. In essence, you're admitting that Alex was being held back by horrid coaching. Thanks Joe.
Originally posted by Method:

Of course I noticed it. Funnily enough, you make a thread comparing Alex Smith's 2006 season to Shaun Hill's 2009 season and then post this. So you're saying in 2006 we had a chance to win 8 games, and Nolan was at fault for losing us one game (probably more) because he was the WCOAT. In essence, you're admitting that Alex was being held back by horrid coaching. Thanks Joe.

That comparison thread has nothing to do with taking sides, just a let's see what happens and no hijacking other threads on the debate.

I would like to note that Alex being held back was still less accurate than Hill being held back and Hill has shown to be more efficient so far. We can debate this in THAT other thread. I'm just saying that the philosophies between the two coaches is not much different but one coach has shown to make adjustments immediately. The timeout and gathering his defense thing...Nolan did that also.

I'm just saying, so far, the only thing that's better of the two teams is the defense and more efficiency and leadership out of the QB.
Who's Otagwe with?
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Sep 24, 2009 at 12:05 PM ]
  • OREGONomics
  • Info N/A

That comparison thread has nothing to do with taking sides, just a let's see what happens and no hijacking other threads on the debate.

I would like to note that Alex being held back was still less accurate than Hill being held back and Hill has shown to be more efficient so far. We can debate this in THAT other thread. I'm just saying that the philosophies between the two coaches is not much different but one coach has shown to make adjustments immediately. The timeout and gathering his defense thing...Nolan did that also.

I'm just saying, so far, the only thing that's better of the two teams is the defense and more efficiency and leadership out of the QB.

The difference between Nolan and Sing is that the entire roster respects and has bought into Sing's philosophy. I can't say Nolan ever had that. So naturally, Sing is able to get much more out of his players. In terms of discipline, aggressiveness, team first mentality, etc. Sing maximizes those qualities whereas Nolan was in over his head since day one. Did you see the video where Vernon Davis fought Manny Lawson in practice? Nolan had no control whatsoever.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OREGONomics:

The difference between Nolan and Sing is that the entire roster respects and has bought into Sing's philosophy. I can't say Nolan ever had that. So naturally, Sing is able to get much more out of his players. In terms of discipline, aggressiveness, team first mentality, etc. Sing maximizes those qualities whereas Nolan was in over his head since day one. Did you see the video where Vernon Davis fought Manny Lawson in practice? Nolan had no control whatsoever.

Another difference is that we actually have an excellent defense this year, so we CAN rely on it. I do wish though that we become more aggressive. I like the idea of putting away games. Go for those 4th and 2s. I like playing smart but you have to be aggressive too. I think we've had a history of coaches who aren't aggressive lately and it has a lot to do with us not being a winning team this decade.

The biggest difference is we didn't convert to a f**king Prevent defense.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
fellow niners/braves fan, valrod. i'd appreciate a password.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

Yes, that is one big difference. It boils down to having "it" or not. What is "it"? The discussion below, explains a little about "it":

"You ask why some think that Singletary is the better coach?

Singletary has the 9ers rowing in the same direction. That's why.

See, Mora may have the better staff around him, Mora may have the longer pedigree, and might even be able to win the chess match for the last three quarters which someone talked about, (which I respectfully disagree with) BUT, Mora will never be the person that Singletary is.

Mora will never be Mike Singletary, and in the end, that raw will power is worth something that no amount of pedigree and no amount of chess playing can overcome.

Clearly football is a mental game in many ways, but in the end, football is about 11 guys imposing their will on 11 others.
And if you want to find out HOW to do that, Mike Singletary is the guy to ask, he's someone who KNOWS about imposing his will on someone else on a football field. He gets what it takes to win it all.

Now that is not sayng that Singletary will certainly be the better head coach, who knows Singletary might flop horribly, (though I seriously doubt it), and Mora may turn out to be a great head coach, (though I seriously doubt that too).

What I do know is this, if yuo want to know about X's and O's, I'd bet Mora would be the better guy to listen to about that. BUT if you want to know what it takes to WIN, if you want to know how to impose your will on your enemies on the football field, if you want to know what it means to be a leader, a game changing playmaker and a hall of famer; I wouldn't waste my time talking to Mora about that, I'd go straight to Singletary.
Originally posted by Blitz:

Yes, that is one big difference. It boils down to having "it" or not. What is "it"? The discussion below, explains a little about "it":

See, Mora may have the better staff around him, Mora may have the longer pedigree, and might even be able to win the chess match for the last three quarters which someone talked about, (which I respectfully disagree with) BUT, Mora will never be the person that Singletary is.

Mora will never be Mike Singletary, and in the end, that raw will power is worth something that no amount of pedigree and no amount of chess playing can overcome.

Clearly football is a mental game in many ways, but in the end, football is about 11 guys imposing their will on 11 others.
And if you want to find out HOW to do that, Mike Singletary is the guy to ask, he's someone who KNOWS about imposing his will on someone else on a football field. He gets what it takes to win it all.

Now that is not sayng that Singletary will certainly be the better head coach, who knows Singletary might flop horribly, (though I seriously doubt it), and Mora may turn out to be a great head coach, (though I seriously doubt that too).

What I do know is this, if yuo want to know about X's and O's, I'd bet Mora would be the better guy to listen to about that. BUT if you want to know what it takes to WIN, if you want to know how to impose your will on your enemies on the football field, if you want to know what it means to be a leader, a game changing playmaker and a hall of famer; I wouldn't waste my time talking to Mora about that, I'd go straight to Singletary.

"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." ~Vince Lombardi

"They call it coaching but it is teaching. You do not just tell them…you show them the reasons." ~Vince Lombardi

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 25, 2009 at 12:07 AM ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." ~Vince Lombardi

"They call it coaching but it is teaching. You do not just tell them…you show them the reasons." ~Vince Lombardi

My favorite Lombardi: "Football is blocking and tackling."

It still is, it still boils down to that. Sing has them not doing anything fancy, he's got em' playing some Lombardi football, rowing in the same direction while they do it.

It still is, it still boils down to that. Sing has them not doing anything fancy, he's got em' playing some Lombardi football, rowing in the same direction while they do it.

Great posts! Singletary is going to make good things happen around here for the 49ers.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Great posts! Singletary is going to make good things happen around here for the 49ers.

Those of us who have been Niner fans for a while can feel that Singletary is special. There were those here that argued that he was unproven, inexperienced and we should have went after Holmgren (Spelling) Grueden and others. These same people made statements pertaining to his intelligence, or lack there of and his judgment. Jed made the right decision in choosing Mike. The analyst know it too. Notice the Mike hater Trolls have vanished from Niner talk. That proves one thing: they were NEVER here for this team. The only time they posted is when a thread was negatively charged, specifically about the Coaches or Front Office. Run a member search and check out their post and you'll find this to be true. Have any of them posted in any thread that was positive about our team? No. In my 4 1/2 years here, this is the sanest it has ever been in Niner talk - and I'm love'n it.

God Bess Singletary and the Niners
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Who's Otagwe with?

The St. Louis Rams
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home