There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We are not playing to the level of competition.

Yes, but the 9ers are 2-0 and it wouldn't by any type of a crazy upset if they knock off the Vikes this weekend. I'm still not convinced that the 9ers have arrived to the promised land just yet, but I'm encouraged by the two wins even though they were both on the ugly side.
Originally posted by fzrdave:
Yes, but the 9ers are 2-0 and it wouldn't by any type of a crazy upset if they knock off the Vikes this weekend. I'm still not convinced that the 9ers have arrived to the promised land just yet, but I'm encouraged by the two wins even though they were both on the ugly side.

not even in the promise land zip code..................yet!
I could care less how we win the games. All we have to do is be 1st in the NFC West and then anything can happen. If we can run the table in our division then we are in the playoffs no matter how we are record wise. Just win the West is all we have to do and right now that looks like a real possibility. We can build on this offense next season. I like ugly wins because until now we haven't seen very many wins period.
Don't get me wrong, I'm loving being 2-0. But, I'm trying to point up how we do get
over the hump towards being a team that is taken seriously in the playoffs.

For that matter, I don't buy into the hype that the NFC North, South and East are so much better. Washington barely beat the Rams. The Packers lost to the Bengals.
Tampa Bay and Carolina (I love that one) are 0-2, and I believe the Panthers are on their way to a new coach next year, if not sooner.

The physicality of the 49ers I like as well, but you need the passing set to get deeper into the playoffs. Yea, we beat Arizona but we looked like crap in our running game.
Arizona helped us out by making boneheaded errors. We won, but Arizona took it out last week on the Jaguars and thats the team I expect to see when we play them again.
Not saying we won't beat them at home, because even last year we did a pretty good job of taking away them their receivers.

We need to get the passing game and Oline pass blocking fixed.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I think the Minnesota game will be a GPS game for us. It'll let us know where we stand outside our weak division.

I have a feeling that if we beat Minnesota, it will be said that Minnesota really isn't that great because they have only beaten weak teams.

I agree with you somewhat, but if you go by last year, they were division champs, they have upgraded via the draft and FA, and is one of the top NFC teams (awarded by the media tho), so if we win at their house plus the game being their home opener, I and the rest of the league will be VERY impressed. In fact, I think this is the toughest regular season game of the year.
[ Edited by kronik on Sep 22, 2009 at 12:32 PM ]
at this point,just winning is good enough.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Downfalls of borderline top level or even top level teams is that some have a tendancy to play to the level of their competition.

Singletary instilled a 100% speed with full pads and no relaxing in Training Camp and it has seemed to carried over in the 49ers play during the two regular season games. The Cardinals players noticed the "Focus" of our team as was quoted by Bertrand Berry on KHTK.

We were thinking that the SEA game was be a so called GPS game because they kicked our ass last year and tore STL a new one. However, we did not play down and stayed focused and revealed to everyone that there is a reason why ARI was the NFC champs and there is a reason why SEA is still trying to work it's way back into the relevancy of the NFL top teams. We kept our level of play high and it showed against a weaker team. Yes, SEA is far weaker than ARI.

Now, that SEA game really didn't seem like a "GPS" game at all. Now the next game is the new "GPS" game. If we beat Minnesota, then it will be known that, well, Minnesota really hasn't played anyone to prove how good they are so then our next game will be a "GPS" game...and then the next one...and...now you know how I feel about "GPS" games.

There is no GPS game because it doesn't matter WHO we play. The only thing that matters is HOW we play. So far, we have played hard and been focused.

Joe you're spot on. Totally agree. People better start to take notice. If not even worse for them. We are coming to play on every snap because of Singletary. He won't let us ever get too complacent. I said yesterday he keeps us humble. If we play mistake free for the most part on Sunday we will be 3-0. I can honestly say that in my gut I feel we will win this game.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by MrAdrenaline:
what the hell is a GPS game

where we stand

Seriously? Do people really use this goofy term to describe a game that determines where we're at as a team?

Please don't use this phrase again. How bout we just say "This game will decide where we're at". GPS game is really corny and nerdy.

my thoughts exactly...whoever came up with this term is stupid...
With all the talk I hear about how this team has started out like the 07 team I remember Nolan saying then, " recently people around here would be happy to be 2-0, now people care how you look when you end up 2-0". Well, guess what Nolan is not here anymore and this is not the same team.

"we have been 2-0 before, but we have not been 3-0 here since I have been here"-Singletary.
Originally posted by Sinsation:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by MrAdrenaline:
what the hell is a GPS game

where we stand

Seriously? Do people really use this goofy term to describe a game that determines where we're at as a team?

Please don't use this phrase again. How bout we just say "This game will decide where we're at". GPS game is really corny and nerdy.

my thoughts exactly...whoever came up with this term is stupid...

Matt Maiocco
This week and week 14 could be the biggest games of the year. With the other teams in the division still getting it into gear this is a great chance to create some separation from the rest of the pack.

And week 14 Monday Night at the Stick with potential playoff implications? Against the reigning NFC Champs? No bigger game than that.