There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Pass rush specialist..

So some of you guys were laughing, and thinking "wtf" when we hired a pass rush specialist coach.

After two games, was that a good move or a bad move?
Not enough games to decide yet. Hope our rush continues to get better.
At least were getting pressure on the QB and not leaving our DB's vulnerable to the long ball, so far I'm liking what I see
there's still room for improvement. does anyone know how much salary cap space the 9ers have remaining? i would assume there's money to get some stud.
Good question! It can't really be a bad move b/c it puts focus on the players to, at minimum, have it in their mind and have someone on them about it. That said, pass rushing isn't really a skill you learn. You either have it or you don't. You can hone that skill with help from a specialist but you must first possess the skill. What's even more important is the SCHEME.

Let me give you a good example: TBC

TBC plays for NE and does very well. He comes here and sucks and is run out of town. He goes back to NE and is now their leading sack/QB pressure leader. Why is that? Scheme. Period.

I predicted that A. Brooks would eventually start taking snaps away from Manny this year if we ever have a desire to run a pure 3-4. Right now our secondary IS our front 7 b/c we still do not have a pass rush and so far, I haven't seen too much creativity in blitz schemes from Manusky. That said, I did finally see him rotate Haralson/Lawson more but it's still pretty vanilla and we only had one sack last week against a team we should have more then dominated esp. after Hasselmyback got hurt.

We really should have padded our stats after that and come out gunning like the Jets did against the Pats. MAKE THEM BEAT YOU!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 22, 2009 at 8:32 AM ]
It has been much better but it's still far from great. I wonder if Ahmad Brooks can help this team get a little more pass rush and/or if the team will pickup another pass rush specialist. Marques Harris can't get it done on the half dozen or so plays he gets to rush the passer.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Goo question! It can't really be a bad move b/c it puts focus on the players to at minimum, have it in their mind and have someone on them about it. That said, pas rushing isn't really a skill you learn. You either have it or you don't. You can hone that skill with help from a specialist but you must first possess the skill. What's even more important is the SCHEME.

Let me give you a good example: TBC

TBC plays for NE and does very well. He comes here and sucks and is run out of town. He goes back to NE and is now their leading sack/QB pressure leader. Why is that? Scheme. Period.

I predicted that A. Brooks would eventually start taking snaps away from Manny this year if we ever have a desire to run a pure 3-4. Right now our secondary IS our front 7 b/c we still do not have a pass rush and so far, I haven't seen too much creativity in blitz schemes from Manusky. That said, I did finally see him rotate Haralson/Lawson more but it's still pretty vanilla and we only had one sack last week against a team we should have more then dominated esp. after Hasselmyback got hurt. We really should have padded our stats after that and come out gunning like the Jets did against the Pats. MAKE THEM BEAT YOU!

I'm not sure how effective Brooks will be over Manny. I've been critical of Brooks but at this point I think he may add more pressure than Manny. I like Manny but I'm just not seeing any growth in his pass rushing skills/moves. Manusky add some more blitzes and this D will be dominating instead of just winning.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
So some of you guys were laughing, and thinking "wtf" when we hired a pass rush specialist coach.

After two games, was that a good move or a bad move?

We really don't know how that specialist coach is being used. I mean, what if he spent 80% of his time on Manny Lawson? That would be an utter fail. Parys was doing his thing last year and he's just in the natural development. Justin Smith has also already been there. So far, I just see a natural improvement that doesn't have much to do with coaches. I will be impressed when players like Manny or Ahmad Brooks begin to show improvement.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Not enough games to decide yet. Hope our rush continues to get better.

X2
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Goo question! It can't really be a bad move b/c it puts focus on the players to at minimum, have it in their mind and have someone on them about it. That said, pas rushing isn't really a skill you learn. You either have it or you don't. You can hone that skill with help from a specialist but you must first possess the skill. What's even more important is the SCHEME.

Let me give you a good example: TBC

TBC plays for NE and does very well. He comes here and sucks and is run out of town. He goes back to NE and is now their leading sack/QB pressure leader. Why is that? Scheme. Period.

I predicted that A. Brooks would eventually start taking snaps away from Manny this year if we ever have a desire to run a pure 3-4. Right now our secondary IS our front 7 b/c we still do not have a pass rush and so far, I haven't seen too much creativity in blitz schemes from Manusky. That said, I did finally see him rotate Haralson/Lawson more but it's still pretty vanilla and we only had one sack last week against a team we should have more then dominated esp. after Hasselmyback got hurt. We really should have padded our stats after that and come out gunning like the Jets did against the Pats. MAKE THEM BEAT YOU!

I'm not sure how effective Brooks will be over Manny. I've been critical of Brooks but at this point I think he may add more pressure than Manny. I like Manny but I'm just not seeing any growth in his pass rushing skills/moves. Manusky add some more blitzes and this D will be dominating instead of just winning.

Yeah! I can say that Brooks HAS that skill and Manny just doesn't seem to IMHO. I don't think scheme is helping him either though. I can all but guarantee that if Brooks got the same snaps Manny has thus far (in the same role), he'd not only have better QB pressures/sacks but would contribute to others getting more pressure too. Manny has also dropped off in coverage too (TD last week, TE coverage, etc.). If Pashos can get starts over Synder and worked into a game, once healthy, Brooks should get that same chance. He was one of our best pass rushers during the preseason and seemed to get better and better. He hustled his ass off too and did a better job of ceiling the edge off and not allowing RB's to get outside. He's also much stronger then Manny and can play off blocks and bull rush which is a major weakness of Manny. We have a secondary to cover the TE's now so we don't need to worry about coverage anymore as it being a "vital" part of Manny's game and our defense IMHO.
  • JC49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 169
It's nice to see Ray McDonald getting involved and contributing. Maybe he's showing why they've been hanging on to him. He was only cleared for full contact relatively recentsly so he should keep getting stronger if he stays healthy. We were all expecting things from Parys, Justin, and Manny. If Ray adds something he could be the difference maker.
i'm just happy its getting better i don't care what its credited to
  • JC49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 169
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
i'm just happy its getting better i don't care what its credited to

Agreed.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
i'm just happy its getting better i don't care what its credited to

And it's not there yet....it has to improve!
Balmer seems to be developing as well and hopefully he will open some lanes for others to rush the passer. It would be nice to see him get a few sacks also. How about 12 between J. Smith and K. Balmer?