There are 194 users in the forums

106 yards in 2 games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
That is good news. Stop the run, make the Vikings one dimensional, and then get turnovers to which we score on. Good plan, good defense.

Same thing they'll do to us. Last year we couldn't stop Fred Taylor, but they don't have him anymore.

Fred Taylor?

Do you mean the 2007 Minnesota Vikings and Chester Taylor? He's still on the Vikings, but used on special teams and as a second back to Peterson.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
That is good news. Stop the run, make the Vikings one dimensional, and then get turnovers to which we score on. Good plan, good defense.

Same thing they'll do to us. Last year we couldn't stop Fred Taylor, but they don't have him anymore.

You mean Chester Taylor perhaps?

And he must mean 2 years ago..
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
I think the D-line is doing a great job. In this system the players do no get much credit but props to Franklin, Sopoaga, Smith, Balmer, Evans, McDonald and position coach Tomsula.

Also I think it was Maiocco commented that Balmer is shaping up pretty well in one his posts from yesterday.
Originally posted by Stuuk:
I think the D-line is doing a great job. In this system the players do no get much credit but props to Franklin, Sopoaga, Smith, Balmer, Evans, McDonald and position coach Tomsula.

Also I think it was Maiocco commented that Balmer is shaping up pretty well in one his posts from yesterday.

very true, franklin is doing very good in the middle. balmer is progressing nicely, hes very strong and he's getting better with his technique. our D-line looks very solid. i think someone posted in another thread that our defense is ranked 9th or something and our run D is ranked 3rd. it wont be a gimme for peterson like the sorry ass lions and the browns were. the vikings should be rudely surprised by the 49ers if they dont take us seriously. under singletary this team means business. if we continue to progress like we have the last two games i think this game is ours too

I had completely forgotten that Evans was on our team. I dont remember hearing ANYTHING from OTC, Training camp or anything. Is he even playing?
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:

I had completely forgotten that Evans was on our team. I dont remember hearing ANYTHING from OTC, Training camp or anything. Is he even playing?

He is getting a bit of action in rotation but predominantly special teams.

From MM player recap:

Quote:
93-Demetric Evans: Saw about 10 snaps on defense, and also played on special teams.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/09/recap-of-week-2-performances.html
[ Edited by Stuuk on Sep 22, 2009 at 1:00 AM ]
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

very true, franklin is doing very good in the middle. balmer is progressing nicely, hes very strong and he's getting better with his technique. our D-line looks very solid. i think someone posted in another thread that our defense is ranked 9th or something and our run D is ranked 3rd. it wont be a gimme for peterson like the sorry ass lions and the browns were. the vikings should be rudely surprised by the 49ers if they dont take us seriously. under singletary this team means business. if we continue to progress like we have the last two games i think this game is ours too

From MM player recap:

Quote:
93-Demetric Evans: Saw about 10 snaps on defense, and also played on special teams.

didnt we give this guy a good chunk of money? as in... more than special teams player money?
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran

From MM player recap:

Quote:

didnt we give this guy a good chunk of money? as in... more than special teams player money?

The deal for Evans was approx $3.8m for 2 years. That does seem to be quite a bit for someone who is essentially a backup. I think they signed him initially because we lost Ronald Fields via FA to Denver, with a view to adding depth to the position. Realistically it was unlikely that he would be able to break into the starting lineup (Smith, Franklin, Sopoaga/McDonald) with a No.1 pick in Balmer also waiting on the sidelines. Also had the 49ers relalised they would be able to get a seemingly decent backup (Jean-Francois) in the draft maybe they wouldnt have paid so highly. With all that said it does give us good depth at a key position to our team, but whether that justifies the salary

[ Edited by Stuuk on Sep 22, 2009 at 1:50 AM ]

Sopoaga has been awful yet again.

Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:

Yeah its nice to see Balmer progressing nicely when it was hard for some people to have patients even though it takes years to develop as a DL.
Originally posted by 49er4life:
This is a big game for our D, win or loose stopping AP would give our D some definite street cred.

That being said, I hope we stick it to farvraaaa...
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by marshniners24:

You mean Chester Taylor perhaps?

And he must mean 2 years ago..

Lol yea that was one of the worst posts ever, he didnt get anything right!
Funny how all of us (myself included) were b**ching about the DL during pre-season, however over the first 2 games they have done very well. Hats of to McDonald for getting 2 sacks so far, Balmer is making tackles and tying OL up. Smith is looking like a brilliant FA acquisition. Over all doing a great job protecting Willis so he can roam and make tackles. Because of these guys are run defense is 3rd in the league and 9th against the pass.

This week will be a real test for the defense. If we can contain Peterson like we did the first time we played him even if we lose the league will stand up and take notice that our defense is becoming an elite unit.

It was Chester Taylor (not Fred), and they stopped him just fine with the exception of ONE big run. I hate when people just look at the stat line and see C. Taylor 8 carries for 101 yards and then claim Taylor ran all over us. He had ONE carry for 84 yards. The other 7 only went for 17. I'd say they stopped him just fine 7 out of 8 times.
Share 49ersWebzone