There are 161 users in the forums

RT Problem

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes we are looking mean so far, but is anyone else worried about our RT situation. I mean Synder has not looked good at all, and Pashos comes in and looked horrid yesterday against a soft seattle front. The Vikings will expose us i feel. Allen will probally line up against synder or pashos. would've been nice if we drafted that DAMN OT LIKE WE SHOULD"VE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This i think will be our problem all year. Our Defense will play good on sunday, but damnit the vikes have a btter defense, especially against our o-line. The gore runs were great, but that's not going to happen all the time, especially if it's a good defense that loads 8-9 in the box.
So it is the old Crabtree versus Oher question. If someone would have been prophetic and could have seen the future we could have had Oher. That would have been nice but not realistic. We had the opportunity to get one of the highest rated players and we took it. It is clearly not working out well. But wouldn't it be great if we got another 1st rounder out of this mess with the Jets. That would be interesting to get three first round picks for the draft.
Many fans have been talking about our RT problem for years.

This year, it is still a problem, but Snyder or Pashos >>>> Sims or Kwame.

We are still BETTER than last year at RT.

The real argument is, should a team draft the "best player available?"

Its really a tough call. I think it depends upon how bad of a need you have.

Crabtree was still at a position of need. Not great need, but still need.
So if we already had very good WR's, then we should have just went for Oher; but we didn't. We made the right move at the time.

We were just unlucky.
Originally posted by wailers15:
DAMN OT LIKE WE SHOULD"VE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And who should the 49ers have taken with the 10th pick? Michael Oher was selected thirteen picks later. Should they have reached? Also, you're assuming this yet to be determined rookie would be starting over Snyder.

Two games. Relax.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by wailers15:
DAMN OT LIKE WE SHOULD"VE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And who should the 49ers have taken with the 10th pick? Michael Oher was selected thirteen picks later. Should they have reached? Also, you're assuming this yet to be determined rookie would be starting over Snyder.

Two games. Relax.

I wanted Oher or Orakpo at 10. I fully understood why we took Crabtree, but Oher is starting in Baltimore. I know hindsight is always 20/20 but it sure would have been nice to have drafted Oher and have our bookend tackles for the forseeable future.

On a related note I think I saw that Orakpo was play OLB in the Redskins 4-3 alignment. That was suprising...I thought he would be a DE in a 4-3.
At least Snyder improved from last week. The first run TD, he washed his guy out the play!!! Hopefully this is the trend for him, but it is still a weak point on our OL.
[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:43 PM ]
We do have a problem at RT but you can only fix so many things at once.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
Jonas Jennings is still out there as a FA....
Originally posted by Stuuk:

Healthy??!!!!!
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Stuuk:

Healthy??!!!!!

I haven't heard anything about him since his release in March.

It's a shame he had all those issues with injuries because the time he did actually spend on the field he was very solid.

Was pashos really that bad when he played? I may be in the minority here but I like snyder. I thought snyder would be a better guard than tackle. At the minimum snyder is very good depth.

I may have to watch the game again but I remember pashos walled his guy at the LOS a couple of times during passing plays. I was excited because he did not have to ride him past the QB.
we'll be fine....just relax..
I sure hope Alex Boone develops for next year or we need to draft a right tackle with a late 1st or early 2nd pick.
So much exaggeration about our "RT problems". Aside from a play or two, Snyder has been fine at RT, and Shaun Hill could do a better job in avoiding sacks.

Do we have a stud RT at this point? No... but it's not some huge problem that fans are making it out to be.

btw, Snyder is a better OT than OG
i second Brian's comment, that if you have desperate needs, and a much lower need(WR) falls to you, you take the most important need. Yes , this is comparing apples to oranges as WR to OT, but you don't form teams around WRs...just ask Detroit, who tried 3 yrs draft picks in a row. You form a team around lines, both OL and DL . We had two great choices to get Oher or Orakpo, and took neither, rather a showy kid from the big 12, a conference not known for good DB play. And we did it without any pre scouting as in calling up coaches for potential picks #5-15(if we moved up or down), and asking , Hey coach, is so and so a good guy? Or is he a head case? Scot obviously didn't do it, and thereby he literally screwed our entire draft this yr, with a #1 next yr, plus Coffee. Coffee? Yup, that's our draft, and just like this yr, next yr we still need NT/DE/DT, passrushing OLB , and at least 2 OTs(in case one is no good). There is not another team in nfl that will enter next yr with exact same needs it had this yr...except the 49ers...and that is inexcusable.

That folks, in any business or commercial enterprise , would be grounds for schidt canning our GM...now...not next yr when he could screw us over again. Teams have to draft at least 2-3 starters every yr to remain competitive. We didn't , and we are once again doomed to mediocrity. Get rid of mcClown. He is single-handedly killing this
team, and waiting for him to improve...well, it is a fornlorn hope, and is no way to build a team.
Share 49ersWebzone