There are 206 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Thoughts on the Seahawks game, mostly positives, some concerns

Pashos absolutely mauled some people in pass protection. I don't know how he will perform against top flight pass rushers but he handled who he was suppose to handle against the seahawks. The niners may have found a decent starting tackle.

He was out of position once, tackled the guy, and was called for holding. Other than that play he was more than solid.
Originally posted by fister30:
Pashos absolutely mauled some people in pass protection. I don't know how he will perform against top flight pass rushers but he handled who he was suppose to handle against the seahawks. The niners may have found a decent starting tackle.

He was out of position once, tackled the guy, and was called for holding. Other than that play he was more than solid.
We need to move the chains and score TDs.

Gore won't bust out like that every week.
Originally posted by fister30:
Pashos absolutely mauled some people in pass protection. I don't know how he will perform against top flight pass rushers but he handled who he was suppose to handle against the seahawks. The niners may have found a decent starting tackle.

He was out of position once, tackled the guy, and was called for holding. Other than that play he was more than solid.

Seattle DE Jackson had two sacks during the game. I believe he beat both Snyder and Pashos at RT.
[ Edited by fanmusclecars on Sep 21, 2009 at 12:11 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erfourlife:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Very solid, we did what we needed to do and for the most part we had total control of this game.

The defense played very, very solid again, the pass rusher was terrific the first quarter and a half but then kind of dissapeared a little but the D made plays/stops when they had to.

Dashon Goldson- I thought he would get at least 5 INT's this year and he is on his way there after making a nice INT for his career pick against the Seahawks. This kid is a player and I see him getting better and better. He runs like a deer, tackles well, is big with long arms and he closes in a hurry.

Nate Clements- For all the talk about how much Clements makes (and he really doesen't make as much as people think or make him out to be) Clements played very well for us in 07 and for the most part was very good last year. Right now though, Nate Clements is playing like a pro bowl cornerback and he is playing as well as any cornerback in the NFL. His coverage is great, he is coming up and making hits, he tackles as welll as any cornerback in the league and just all-around is playing great football.

Shawntae Spencer- Does this guy play? You never hear his name called (which is a good thing for a corner), it's amazing he is playing even better than he did before he tore his ACL.

Michael Lewis- Michael Lewis has been a solid player for us since he joined the team in 07 but right now he is playing great football. He was always a great tackler and big hitter but now he is also flying to the ball and even helping out in pass defense.

Patrick Willis- A beast!

Manny Lawson- Played okay

Parys Halarason- Gave Ray McDonald a sack when he caused Hasselbeck to step up into Ray Mac but didn't show much in the 2nd half.

Dre Bly- what a great pickup. Is there is a better Nickel-3rd corner in the NFL?

Issac Sopoaga- Really played solid, clogging the middle

Offense:

Nice to see the offense get it together this week esspecially the running game. I like what Jimmy Raye did and his playcalling was much better, I liked some of the run designs and fake runs he had in the playbook this week.

Frank Gore- A thing of beauty on those two long td runs.

Moran Norris- Really played solid, blocked well, made a big catch and had a career long run.

Glenn Coffee- He looks scared and hesitant, I hope it's just he needs some more time and reps but right now he doesen't look very good.

Josh Morgan- I saw him get open at least twice and Shuan Hill did not throw it to him but still to have 0 catches is dissapointing. He did throw two great blocks.

Issac Bruce- Solid as a rock

Vernon Davis- Made a nice 5yd catch and turned into a 15 yard 1st rd down. He is being double teammed a lot.

Delaine Walker- Get him involved more!

O-Line- Played pretty solid, Pashos came in at the start of the 14 play 8+ minute drive and you can see he gets a push. If the 49ers weren't playing At Minnesota in a loud noisey dome, I think he would be starting. Joe Staley played great, he did a tremendous job on Patrick Kerney and really did a nice job of run blocking. Chilo Rachal also did a nice job I thought but im still not sold on Heitman and Baas. Snyder gave up two bad sacks on 3rd downs and I just don't think he is a starter in this league.

Shuan Hill- He is not pretty and there is a lot of things he does not/can't? do but he manages the game well and makes plays when he has to win and WINS....9-3 as a starter!

Things I did not like;

The D got a little soft in the 2nd half and Im a little worried about the lack of a pass rush against a Seahawks O-Line that had their 3rd string LT in there.

Glenn Coffee, he looks like a scared running back right now and is not hitting/seeing the hole. I thought he'd a better backup for Gore, maybe he will...

Get rid of the Wildcat!!!!!

Allen Rossum has lost a step or two, im sorry he has.

I know Gore should be okay for the Minnesota game but I would consider activating Kory Sheets and giving him a carrie or two to see what he can do. He certainly has a differen't style/speed than Coffee and Gore and it would have to make the oppossing defenses take notice.


Overall: Again I like this team, we play smart, sound football. Not many penalty's, we don't turn the ball over and now our defense gets turnovers. Were in a good posistion right now being 2-0 and beating Seattle and Arizona. I've been saying for weeks I think the Minnesota game is the only game im going into thinking we will lose, just because it is there home opener, it will be very loud and im not sure we matchup well against the Vikings, esspecially with the Williams boys in the middle. That being said we will compete and we will give the Vikings a game. Looking ahead though, even if we lose to Minnesota Im confident we will beat the Rams at home the following week going 3-1, setting up a good game vs Atlanta at home and if we can win that game we will be 4-1 going into the bye.

What do you think?

I think you dont have a clue about the game of football.


Why so angy Noob? If you have issues with his comments pick them apart. No need to tell the man he has no clue when obviously he has SOME clue. I agree with probably 3/4 of his analysis, even Shaun Hill.

I do not agree with the Pass Rush issue. It's hard to put a consistent rush on a guy that you know can burn you with both his feet and his arm. You take your chances, but if you can take away the Run game consistently he should not be able to burn you.

Rossum. We got JOBBED by the Refs on that one. There was NO hold in front of that Zebra and the leg whip? I guess the man could contort his body in mid air to take out the Defenders feet. I don't remember who it was but they dove at the Defender. And naturally feet they will follow. If he had KICKED out then flag him. If his knees bend as slight as they did after he was in the air chest toward the ground? NOT FLAGGABLE!!! So in effect that was a TOUCHDOWN, and once again the Refs screw tha pooch. Frank doesn't snap off those two TD runs we lose 10-9, In any case if Rossum has "lost a step", I didn't see it.

and I blame Hill as much as the coaching staff for the lack of Offensive stats. If Hill was a better passer the other Offensive skill positions(Not Bruce, Davis, Gore) should have had more touches. Instead we were 3 and out LOTS of times. I don't think that would have increased more with Sheattle's first team healthy and putting the clamp on us but you never know. Fan noise REALLY helped us more than some are ready to admit.

I so want Hill to prove me wrong but, he's playing like a backup not a 1st string QB. The other players really like and respect him.*sarcastically * Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaay.

I've been in the workforce long enough to know that "like and respect" don't necessarily mean "PRODUCTIVE". You should NOT be making a living on "like and respect" alone. It would be nice but it's not realistic at all. Life is littered with the carcasses of well liked and respected individuals. It may not be fair, but that's how it is.

See? You CAN disagree with specific thoughts and people will respect that. To summarily dismiss an entire thought process points out that you may actually be the one lacking a clue about Football. May or may not be the case but how can anyone take you seriously when you don't give them any information on your stance?

*Edit* The Wildcat, it needs to be put in the book as a gimmick play and left there. And when broken out, don't do so on 3rd and 28. Oh and Spurlock should NOT be the guy to run that at all. Ummmm how bout ROBINSON or BATTLE?

If I ever see Spurlock under Center again I'm gonna be sick.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM ]
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I hate to say it but we sure could use Michael Crabtree, I think Brandon Jones will help but I think Crabtree could really help this team get an extra win or two, that is if he ever signed.

How can we use him when our QB does not give the Recievers a chance. He simply goes to the dumpoff USUALLY without looking for a wide receiver, which Brian Billick continued to point out yesterday.


I think Crabtree would make Hill a better QB in time. Crabtree is the type of WR who can go up and get the football and make a play when it is not there and he can go over the middle and make the tough catch and also I think beat his man on the outside. He has to sign by the bye week for him to help us this year though, IMO
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I hate to say it but we sure could use Michael Crabtree, I think Brandon Jones will help but I think Crabtree could really help this team get an extra win or two, that is if he ever signed.

How can we use him when our QB does not give the Recievers a chance. He simply goes to the dumpoff USUALLY without looking for a wide receiver, which Brian Billick continued to point out yesterday.


I think Crabtree would make Hill a better QB in time. Crabtree is the type of WR who can go up and get the football and make a play when it is not there and he can go over the middle and make the tough catch and also I think beat his man on the outside. He has to sign by the bye week for him to help us this year though, IMO

All well and good if Craptree would have signed and been in camp to get the REPS with our QBs' and the rest of the Offense.

At this point I'm thinking that Craptree ain't gonna amount to $#|t in the NFL. Cause he only wants to get paid. He has no heart imho.

Even Rice thinks he should sign his tendered offer and move on.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I hate to say it but we sure could use Michael Crabtree, I think Brandon Jones will help but I think Crabtree could really help this team get an extra win or two, that is if he ever signed.

How can we use him when our QB does not give the Recievers a chance. He simply goes to the dumpoff USUALLY without looking for a wide receiver, which Brian Billick continued to point out yesterday.

Considering that Crabtree has not been through camp Singletary, and the rest of the WR have, what makes anyone think he is going to be able to be much of a help for a while if signed? Maybe by the end of the year or next season he will be a contributer if signed soon. He was great in collge, but is way behind the rest of the team in knowing what to do out there if he came in now.
  • B650
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,205
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I hate to say it but we sure could use Michael Crabtree, I think Brandon Jones will help but I think Crabtree could really help this team get an extra win or two, that is if he ever signed.

How can we use him when our QB does not give the Recievers a chance. He simply goes to the dumpoff USUALLY without looking for a wide receiver, which Brian Billick continued to point out yesterday.

Considering that Crabtree has not been through camp Singletary, and the rest of the WR have, what makes anyone think he is going to be able to be much of a help for a while if signed? Maybe by the end of the year or next season he will be a contributer if signed soon. He was great in collge, but is way behind the rest of the team in knowing what to do out there if he came in now.

Exactly, even the great Jerry Rice has said this. Even if we do get this guy signed, it's highly unlikely he will make that big of an impact. Morgan isn't even being thrown to and he's often times wide open.
Originally posted by zozell:
2 things... First for the Passrush in the 2nd half... I think that we adjusted our pass rush to Seneca Wallace. Wallace is a much more mobile QB than Hasslebeck. Our plan for Hassleback was to create a passrush and disrupt his timing with his receivers forcing him to have to run... which we did.

With Wallace, if we were to passrush the same way we did with Hasslebeck, there is a good chance he would have been able to elude the rush and run for 1st downs. When Wallace came in, I think Manusky wanted to drop more people into coverage and force him to throw, rather than rush him where he could easily elude, avoid and make a potential big play.

Second, I think it's more Raye than it is Hill. We all know Shaun Hill's role in this offense is NOT to be a Manning, Brady, Rogers, Breese etc. It is to do what he is doing, and has done in his 9-3 record as a starter for us. It's not pretty, but it's working and he wins. He admitted he was being cautious with the ball, but I think alot of Raye's playcalling caters to his strengths. I really don't think Raye is dialing Hill's number alot, meaning I doubt he is calling alot of deep passes etc. Maybe he may involve Hill later in the season, but right now, he calling plays up to Hill's strenghts and having him do his job. We are a running team. Face it. We're not used to it as Niner fans, but it is what it is, and it's working.

Wow that's a very good point. I never looked at it that way.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by zozell:
2 things... First for the Passrush in the 2nd half... I think that we adjusted our pass rush to Seneca Wallace. Wallace is a much more mobile QB than Hasslebeck. Our plan for Hassleback was to create a passrush and disrupt his timing with his receivers forcing him to have to run... which we did.

With Wallace, if we were to passrush the same way we did with Hasslebeck, there is a good chance he would have been able to elude the rush and run for 1st downs. When Wallace came in, I think Manusky wanted to drop more people into coverage and force him to throw, rather than rush him where he could easily elude, avoid and make a potential big play.

Second, I think it's more Raye than it is Hill. We all know Shaun Hill's role in this offense is NOT to be a Manning, Brady, Rogers, Breese etc. It is to do what he is doing, and has done in his 9-3 record as a starter for us. It's not pretty, but it's working and he wins. He admitted he was being cautious with the ball, but I think alot of Raye's playcalling caters to his strengths. I really don't think Raye is dialing Hill's number alot, meaning I doubt he is calling alot of deep passes etc. Maybe he may involve Hill later in the season, but right now, he calling plays up to Hill's strenghts and having him do his job. We are a running team. Face it. We're not used to it as Niner fans, but it is what it is, and it's working.

Wow that's a very good point. I never looked at it that way.

-9fA

Right on man!
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Very solid, we did what we needed to do and for the most part we had total control of this game.

The defense played very, very solid again, the pass rusher was terrific the first quarter and a half but then kind of dissapeared a little but the D made plays/stops when they had to.

Dashon Goldson- I thought he would get at least 5 INT's this year and he is on his way there after making a nice INT for his career pick against the Seahawks. This kid is a player and I see him getting better and better. He runs like a deer, tackles well, is big with long arms and he closes in a hurry.

Nate Clements- For all the talk about how much Clements makes (and he really doesen't make as much as people think or make him out to be) Clements played very well for us in 07 and for the most part was very good last year. Right now though, Nate Clements is playing like a pro bowl cornerback and he is playing as well as any cornerback in the NFL. His coverage is great, he is coming up and making hits, he tackles as welll as any cornerback in the league and just all-around is playing great football.

Shawntae Spencer- Does this guy play? You never hear his name called (which is a good thing for a corner), it's amazing he is playing even better than he did before he tore his ACL.

Michael Lewis- Michael Lewis has been a solid player for us since he joined the team in 07 but right now he is playing great football. He was always a great tackler and big hitter but now he is also flying to the ball and even helping out in pass defense.

Patrick Willis- A beast!

Manny Lawson- Played okay

Parys Halarason- Gave Ray McDonald a sack when he caused Hasselbeck to step up into Ray Mac but didn't show much in the 2nd half.

Dre Bly- what a great pickup. Is there is a better Nickel-3rd corner in the NFL?

Issac Sopoaga- Really played solid, clogging the middle

Offense:

Nice to see the offense get it together this week esspecially the running game. I like what Jimmy Raye did and his playcalling was much better, I liked some of the run designs and fake runs he had in the playbook this week.

Frank Gore- A thing of beauty on those two long td runs.

Moran Norris- Really played solid, blocked well, made a big catch and had a career long run.

Glenn Coffee- He looks scared and hesitant, I hope it's just he needs some more time and reps but right now he doesen't look very good.

Josh Morgan- I saw him get open at least twice and Shuan Hill did not throw it to him but still to have 0 catches is dissapointing. He did throw two great blocks.

Issac Bruce- Solid as a rock

Vernon Davis- Made a nice 5yd catch and turned into a 15 yard 1st rd down. He is being double teammed a lot.

Delaine Walker- Get him involved more!

O-Line- Played pretty solid, Pashos came in at the start of the 14 play 8+ minute drive and you can see he gets a push. If the 49ers weren't playing At Minnesota in a loud noisey dome, I think he would be starting. Joe Staley played great, he did a tremendous job on Patrick Kerney and really did a nice job of run blocking. Chilo Rachal also did a nice job I thought but im still not sold on Heitman and Baas. Snyder gave up two bad sacks on 3rd downs and I just don't think he is a starter in this league.

Shuan Hill- He is not pretty and there is a lot of things he does not/can't? do but he manages the game well and makes plays when he has to win and WINS....9-3 as a starter!

Things I did not like;

The D got a little soft in the 2nd half and Im a little worried about the lack of a pass rush against a Seahawks O-Line that had their 3rd string LT in there.

Glenn Coffee, he looks like a scared running back right now and is not hitting/seeing the hole. I thought he'd a better backup for Gore, maybe he will...

Get rid of the Wildcat!!!!!

Allen Rossum has lost a step or two, im sorry he has.

I know Gore should be okay for the Minnesota game but I would consider activating Kory Sheets and giving him a carrie or two to see what he can do. He certainly has a differen't style/speed than Coffee and Gore and it would have to make the oppossing defenses take notice.


Overall: Again I like this team, we play smart, sound football. Not many penalty's, we don't turn the ball over and now our defense gets turnovers. Were in a good posistion right now being 2-0 and beating Seattle and Arizona. I've been saying for weeks I think the Minnesota game is the only game im going into thinking we will lose, just because it is there home opener, it will be very loud and im not sure we matchup well against the Vikings, esspecially with the Williams boys in the middle. That being said we will compete and we will give the Vikings a game. Looking ahead though, even if we lose to Minnesota Im confident we will beat the Rams at home the following week going 3-1, setting up a good game vs Atlanta at home and if we can win that game we will be 4-1 going into the bye.

What do you think?

You're really spot on with everything except Manny Lawson.He has no sacks but has been solid with some pressure on the QB(AZ),coverage,stringing out run plays and tackling.

And on Rossum he had punt return for a TD taken away by 2 penalties that didn't figure into the play.He's no DeShaun Jackson but he's still capable.

If I were Sing I would activate Korey Sheets from the PS and activate Jason Hill from the inactive list-both of them can help the 49ers
I know it's just opinion, but I don't think he's spot on at all. I don't even think we were watching the same game. Bruce's comment is "solid like a rock" after he drops a 25 yards pass that would have been our longest pass play of the day? What? Did we watch the same game?

Spencer doesn't "get his name called" when he had an amazing PD that got him talked about for all his improvement? Did we watch the same game?

Pashos was solid when he came but no mention of the sack he gave up on his only series? Did we watch the same game?

Staley "played great" when he was responsible for a quarter of the pressures on Hill? Really?

Not sold on Heitman, our universally agreed upon best lineman according to everyone from Centennial Blvd to the national media? Wah?

Bring up Kory Sheets and put him in for a play or two?????

Not that I disagree with everything, but the Sheets thing is really the kicker.
I think the only team that runs the Wildcat effectively is the one who brought it on, Miami. I think they do because of who runs the Wildcat for them.

We all saw how effectively it ate the clock, but in the end Peyton only needed 15 minutes of time that night to win.
okay, avtivate kory sheets. now who do we cut?