LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

Thoughts on the Seahawks game, mostly positives, some concerns

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Very solid, we did what we needed to do and for the most part we had total control of this game.

The defense played very, very solid again, the pass rusher was terrific the first quarter and a half but then kind of dissapeared a little but the D made plays/stops when they had to.

Dashon Goldson- I thought he would get at least 5 INT's this year and he is on his way there after making a nice INT for his career pick against the Seahawks. This kid is a player and I see him getting better and better. He runs like a deer, tackles well, is big with long arms and he closes in a hurry.

Nate Clements- For all the talk about how much Clements makes (and he really doesen't make as much as people think or make him out to be) Clements played very well for us in 07 and for the most part was very good last year. Right now though, Nate Clements is playing like a pro bowl cornerback and he is playing as well as any cornerback in the NFL. His coverage is great, he is coming up and making hits, he tackles as welll as any cornerback in the league and just all-around is playing great football.

Shawntae Spencer- Does this guy play? You never hear his name called (which is a good thing for a corner), it's amazing he is playing even better than he did before he tore his ACL.

Michael Lewis- Michael Lewis has been a solid player for us since he joined the team in 07 but right now he is playing great football. He was always a great tackler and big hitter but now he is also flying to the ball and even helping out in pass defense.

Patrick Willis- A beast!

Manny Lawson- Played okay

Parys Halarason- Gave Ray McDonald a sack when he caused Hasselbeck to step up into Ray Mac but didn't show much in the 2nd half.

Dre Bly- what a great pickup. Is there is a better Nickel-3rd corner in the NFL?

Issac Sopoaga- Really played solid, clogging the middle

Offense:

Nice to see the offense get it together this week esspecially the running game. I like what Jimmy Raye did and his playcalling was much better, I liked some of the run designs and fake runs he had in the playbook this week.

Frank Gore- A thing of beauty on those two long td runs.

Moran Norris- Really played solid, blocked well, made a big catch and had a career long run.

Glenn Coffee- He looks scared and hesitant, I hope it's just he needs some more time and reps but right now he doesen't look very good.

Josh Morgan- I saw him get open at least twice and Shuan Hill did not throw it to him but still to have 0 catches is dissapointing. He did throw two great blocks.

Issac Bruce- Solid as a rock

Vernon Davis- Made a nice 5yd catch and turned into a 15 yard 1st rd down. He is being double teammed a lot.

Delaine Walker- Get him involved more!

O-Line- Played pretty solid, Pashos came in at the start of the 14 play 8+ minute drive and you can see he gets a push. If the 49ers weren't playing At Minnesota in a loud noisey dome, I think he would be starting. Joe Staley played great, he did a tremendous job on Patrick Kerney and really did a nice job of run blocking. Chilo Rachal also did a nice job I thought but im still not sold on Heitman and Baas. Snyder gave up two bad sacks on 3rd downs and I just don't think he is a starter in this league.

Shuan Hill- He is not pretty and there is a lot of things he does not/can't? do but he manages the game well and makes plays when he has to win and WINS....9-3 as a starter!

Things I did not like;

The D got a little soft in the 2nd half and Im a little worried about the lack of a pass rush against a Seahawks O-Line that had their 3rd string LT in there.

Glenn Coffee, he looks like a scared running back right now and is not hitting/seeing the hole. I thought he'd a better backup for Gore, maybe he will...

Get rid of the Wildcat!!!!!

Allen Rossum has lost a step or two, im sorry he has.

I know Gore should be okay for the Minnesota game but I would consider activating Kory Sheets and giving him a carrie or two to see what he can do. He certainly has a differen't style/speed than Coffee and Gore and it would have to make the oppossing defenses take notice.

Overall: Again I like this team, we play smart, sound football. Not many penalty's, we don't turn the ball over and now our defense gets turnovers. Were in a good posistion right now being 2-0 and beating Seattle and Arizona. I've been saying for weeks I think the Minnesota game is the only game im going into thinking we will lose, just because it is there home opener, it will be very loud and im not sure we matchup well against the Vikings, esspecially with the Williams boys in the middle. That being said we will compete and we will give the Vikings a game. Looking ahead though, even if we lose to Minnesota Im confident we will beat the Rams at home the following week going 3-1, setting up a good game vs Atlanta at home and if we can win that game we will be 4-1 going into the bye.

What do you think?
Did we generate any pass rush in the 2nd half?

It seemed they passed at will on us and if Housh and Seneca had more practice time together that one miss-throw down the sideline could have been touchdown.

I know it's been mentioned before but the Seaturds were playing without 9 starters.

If Tatupu and L. Hill were healthy I highly doubt Gore breaks those two td runs.
I hate to say it but we sure could use Michael Crabtree, I think Brandon Jones will help but I think Crabtree could really help this team get an extra win or two, that is if he ever signed.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I hate to say it but we sure could use Michael Crabtree, I think Brandon Jones will help but I think Crabtree could really help this team get an extra win or two, that is if he ever signed.

Boooooo!
  • 49erfourlife
  • Info N/A
Very solid, we did what we needed to do and for the most part we had total control of this game.

The defense played very, very solid again, the pass rusher was terrific the first quarter and a half but then kind of dissapeared a little but the D made plays/stops when they had to.

Dashon Goldson- I thought he would get at least 5 INT's this year and he is on his way there after making a nice INT for his career pick against the Seahawks. This kid is a player and I see him getting better and better. He runs like a deer, tackles well, is big with long arms and he closes in a hurry.

Nate Clements- For all the talk about how much Clements makes (and he really doesen't make as much as people think or make him out to be) Clements played very well for us in 07 and for the most part was very good last year. Right now though, Nate Clements is playing like a pro bowl cornerback and he is playing as well as any cornerback in the NFL. His coverage is great, he is coming up and making hits, he tackles as welll as any cornerback in the league and just all-around is playing great football.

Shawntae Spencer- Does this guy play? You never hear his name called (which is a good thing for a corner), it's amazing he is playing even better than he did before he tore his ACL.

Michael Lewis- Michael Lewis has been a solid player for us since he joined the team in 07 but right now he is playing great football. He was always a great tackler and big hitter but now he is also flying to the ball and even helping out in pass defense.

Patrick Willis- A beast!

Parys Halarason- Gave Ray McDonald a sack when he caused Hasselbeck to step up into Ray Mac but didn't show much in the 2nd half.

Dre Bly- what a great pickup. Is there is a better Nickel-3rd corner in the NFL?

Offense:

Nice to see the offense get it together this week esspecially the running game. I like what Jimmy Raye did and his playcalling was much better, I liked some of the run designs and fake runs he had in the playbook this week.

Moran Norris- Really played solid, blocked well, made a big catch and had a career long run.

Glenn Coffee- He looks scared and hesitant, I hope it's just he needs some more time and reps but right now he doesen't look very good.

Josh Morgan- I saw him get open at least twice and Shuan Hill did not throw it to him but still to have 0 catches is dissapointing. He did throw two great blocks.

Vernon Davis- Made a nice 5yd catch and turned into a 15 yard 1st rd down. He is being double teammed a lot.

O-Line- Played pretty solid, Pashos came in at the start of the 14 play 8+ minute drive and you can see he gets a push. If the 49ers weren't playing At Minnesota in a loud noisey dome, I think he would be starting. Joe Staley played great, he did a tremendous job on Patrick Kerney and really did a nice job of run blocking. Chilo Rachal also did a nice job I thought but im still not sold on Heitman and Baas. Snyder gave up two bad sacks on 3rd downs and I just don't think he is a starter in this league.

Shuan Hill- He is not pretty and there is a lot of things he does not/can't? do but he manages the game well and makes plays when he has to win and WINS....9-3 as a starter!

Things I did not like;

The D got a little soft in the 2nd half and Im a little worried about the lack of a pass rush against a Seahawks O-Line that had their 3rd string LT in there.

Glenn Coffee, he looks like a scared running back right now and is not hitting/seeing the hole. I thought he'd a better backup for Gore, maybe he will...

I know Gore should be okay for the Minnesota game but I would consider activating Kory Sheets and giving him a carrie or two to see what he can do. He certainly has a differen't style/speed than Coffee and Gore and it would have to make the oppossing defenses take notice.

Overall: Again I like this team, we play smart, sound football. Not many penalty's, we don't turn the ball over and now our defense gets turnovers. Were in a good posistion right now being 2-0 and beating Seattle and Arizona. I've been saying for weeks I think the Minnesota game is the only game im going into thinking we will lose, just because it is there home opener, it will be very loud and im not sure we matchup well against the Vikings, esspecially with the Williams boys in the middle. That being said we will compete and we will give the Vikings a game. Looking ahead though, even if we lose to Minnesota Im confident we will beat the Rams at home the following week going 3-1, setting up a good game vs Atlanta at home and if we can win that game we will be 4-1 going into the bye.

What do you think?

I think you dont have a clue about the game of football.

How can we use him when our QB does not give the Recievers a chance. He simply goes to the dumpoff USUALLY without looking for a wide receiver, which Brian Billick continued to point out yesterday.
2 things... First for the Passrush in the 2nd half... I think that we adjusted our pass rush to Seneca Wallace. Wallace is a much more mobile QB than Hasslebeck. Our plan for Hassleback was to create a passrush and disrupt his timing with his receivers forcing him to have to run... which we did.

With Wallace, if we were to passrush the same way we did with Hasslebeck, there is a good chance he would have been able to elude the rush and run for 1st downs. When Wallace came in, I think Manusky wanted to drop more people into coverage and force him to throw, rather than rush him where he could easily elude, avoid and make a potential big play.

Second, I think it's more Raye than it is Hill. We all know Shaun Hill's role in this offense is NOT to be a Manning, Brady, Rogers, Breese etc. It is to do what he is doing, and has done in his 9-3 record as a starter for us. It's not pretty, but it's working and he wins. He admitted he was being cautious with the ball, but I think alot of Raye's playcalling caters to his strengths. I really don't think Raye is dialing Hill's number alot, meaning I doubt he is calling alot of deep passes etc. Maybe he may involve Hill later in the season, but right now, he calling plays up to Hill's strenghts and having him do his job. We are a running team. Face it. We're not used to it as Niner fans, but it is what it is, and it's working.
[ Edited by zozell on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:42 AM ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran

Did you miss the punt return for a TD?
Great recap. Hope we continue to get better on offense & defense. Good start to the year.
Originally posted by Chief:

Did you miss the punt return for a TD?

What I want to know is why are our important 2nd string RB (block in the back on that play) and #1 CB (personal foul BS on that play) even playing on special teams for anyway?

Originally posted by 49erfourlife:

Patrick Willis- A beast!

Offense:

Things I did not like;

What do you think?

I think you dont have a clue about the game of football.

Why drink the hatorade

And Tripled. Over all we still need to keep getting better for the viks.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Did we generate any pass rush in the 2nd half?

It seemed they passed at will on us and if Housh and Seneca had more practice time together that one miss-throw down the sideline could have been touchdown.

I know it's been mentioned before but the Seaturds were playing without 9 starters.

If Tatupu and L. Hill were healthy I highly doubt Gore breaks those two td runs.

I would have liked to see what we would have done against their starters, but Most of their Offense was intact going into this game. And that Pass Rush that you so wanted to see was there but was held in check by a scrambling QB that can gash their opponent on foot or in the air.

That new kid Curry when he gets his wits about him will be fierce. So Leroy Hill wasn't even a factor. It's no coinky dink that no other RB on the team got more than 3 or 4 yards for their average. And Tatupu did start the game. I don't recollect what happened to him but he was starting. I was sweatin a bit after Sheattle scored on us to end the 1st half. But I think that the Defense adjusted well to what Knapp was sending in on a play by play basis. You can demand perfection, but that's never going to happen. Just imagine how good this Defense is going to be when we get further along. Both Manny an Parys were all over the place freeing up alot of plays for TKO and Bam Bam.

If I only get one game in this season, I'm glad it was this one.

Now, Hill...

First off, Congrats on 9-3. I don't put much stock in that record, but hey, he got it done and honestly that's what matters most. But GEEEEEEEEEZ can the guy throw ONE pass without it fluttering? That pass that Bruce "dropped"? Put a better touch on it and I guarantee that is a catch. Instead he stuck his hands up there and the incoming tip of the ball caused it to fall to the ground. Can anyone give me a reasonable argument that nobody else could have done what Hill did yesterday? Almost intercepted(thank you Ike, you da man!) and held the ball so long was stripped and almost gave the Sheattle Sheturkeys short field position.

Bruce... If I am Sullivan in film study I say "Now THAT is how you play the F'N position. Ball could be taken away? KNOCK IT THE TRUCK DOWN. Don't try to take a negative and make a play with it."

But of as usual Sully will be lost, daydreaming about Jacobs and Co. and how they just looked so polished in practice.

Anyway I am not looking for reasons to complain about Hill. He's not gonna get it done though against teams like Dallas. No matter how bad Romo is playing, if he's throwing ducks like he did yesterday we're gonna get creamed. Shoot I'm not in favor of throwing Davis to the wolves, but he can't do any worse.

Because seriously, Hill is playing like he's a backup trying to keep a contending team in the hunt. Not like how a QB1 should be playing at all. He NEEDS to play better imho.

An freakin Frank? That mutha played like he had a rocket strapped to his ass. Thank the lord above that he snapped off those two 80 yarders. AP better turn it up or Frank will take his spot as the best in the league. lol

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:49 AM ]
Getting rid of the wildcat is a great idea, it's like a waste of a down. It pisses me off so much when we lineup in the wildcat formation
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Getting rid of the wildcat is a great idea, it's like a waste of a down. It pisses me off so much when we lineup in the wildcat formation

Amen to that. Let everyone else do it. I think it is a joke.
Share 49ersWebzone