LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 436 users in the forums

John Clayton's take on 49ers...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 52isabeast:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Completely agree & can't wait for this game against the Vikings. I'm gonna be so ready for this game on Sunday.

I am gonna be pumped too!! I will actually be taking my family to the game! Very excited to take my boy to his first 49er game and we're sitting 3 rows up on the 40 yd line behind the 49ers bench!!!

P Willis is gonna shut down AP and I can't wait!

I can relate to your boy, 52isabeast. This weekend will be my first 9er game as well. However, I'll be on the opposite side and about 10 rows from the top (college kid what can I say).

I've lived in ND my whole life and everyone here are major viqueen fans. I have a few bets (pre-Favre) pending on this game between friends, I don't dare tell them that I am actually worried about this game. Nevertheless, I bought a Willis jersey specifically for this game and can't wait to see Willis stuff Peterson for another -2yards on 14 carries like a few years back.
I'll be there too with my friends, 8 49ers fan, and 2 vikequeen fans, I already told my vikequeen friends if they win they will be walking home.(THEY'LL HAVE A LONG WALK HOME WE ARE ABOUT 3 HOURS FROM THE CITIES)
[ Edited by elbolitas49ers on Sep 21, 2009 at 12:17 PM ]
my girlfriend is the only viqueen fan going with me and I don't think it would be very smart of me to tell her to walk home (5 hours).
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I don't know. I'm still not convinced yet. I think most long-time Niner fans probably feel the same way. They like what they see -- but they're not quite ready to commit just yet.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't a bash post on Shaun Hill. I can't believe some folks are still laying wood on the guy. Hill is far better than Alex Smith will ever be. He's not the best QB to suit up for the Niners -- but he's a far cry better than anything we've put behind center since Jeff Garcia left town.

I'm not quite ready to drink that Koolaid yet for a myriad of reasons. There's no doubt in my mind that this team is better. There's no doubt in my mind that this is probably the best Niner defense I've seen since we went out and signed a bunch of over-priced free agents to win our 5th Championship. There's no doubt in my mind that the offensive line is better -- and that Gore is the real deal.

I'm just not ready to go "there" just yet.

I have this nagging worry -- say what you will -- that the Minnesota Vikings are going to bring us right back to reality next weekend. This my friends, is going to be a telling game for us. IF -- and I'm not saying they will mind you -- but IF this team jumps up and slaps the Vikings silly? Then folks -- we've got something truly special going on here. A win over the Vikings means more than just a 3-0 record. It means we will have beaten the NFC's best -- on the road no less.

I'm just not ready to annoint this team yet. I'm not quite ready to believe. Confidence is a tricky thing. It takes a long time to get it. And I lost all of it during the down years. That cocky, arrogant fan attitude that I developed during the glory years was beaten from my soul with a baseball bat of six lost seasons.

So kids -- I guess what I'm saying here is -- I want to believe. I really do. But I just can't do it yet. Next weekend is a key game for us. I mean KEY. We win that game? We're for real. All doubts in my mind will have been erased.

But, if we lose, all bets are off. Singletary or no Singletary -- this is one heck of a crucial game. It's more than just one win. It's more than just one loss. It will validate whether we've returned from our long trip in Purgatory, or we've missed the trail home yet one more time.

Where to start...

The Vikings are not the best team in the NFC, they have yet to prove anything and they have a QB with a partially torn rotator cuff who we shut down pretty good last year. AP is the only thing on that team we have to really worry about. This is an important game for sure, but not nearly as important as the two we have already played or any more of the divisional games we have yet to play. I like it as a barometer game to see how we can handle the best RB in the game, but the Vikes O line had serious trouble protecting Farve yesterday and we have shut AP down before. I think the Falcons and Colts are better indicators of how much better this team is.

Don't want to turn this into another Hill/Smith thread but Hill has looked anything but spectacular so far. He misses so many open receivers and his pocket presence leaves much to be desired. I think he is doing well considering the limited skills he possesses, but I have to think that Smith might get the ball to the receivers more often. As long as we win though, I can deal with whoever the QB is.

As a 30+ year fan of the niners I too feel reluctant to get my hopes up too high, but the defense is as good as any I can remember in my time watching the niners, right up there with the underrated one that shut down the Dolphins in the Superbowl. Just gotta take it one game at a time and see if the offense can improve on what they are doing, if so, we could have something special.
Do you guys feel the Vikings are an unstable team? It just seems like they are just 2 losses in row from turning on their QB and their coach.
Originally posted by kenger04:
Originally posted by 52isabeast:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Completely agree & can't wait for this game against the Vikings. I'm gonna be so ready for this game on Sunday.

I am gonna be pumped too!! I will actually be taking my family to the game! Very excited to take my boy to his first 49er game and we're sitting 3 rows up on the 40 yd line behind the 49ers bench!!!

P Willis is gonna shut down AP and I can't wait!

I can relate to your boy, 52isabeast. This weekend will be my first 9er game as well. However, I'll be on the opposite side and about 10 rows from the top (college kid what can I say).

I've lived in ND my whole life and everyone here are major viqueen fans. I have a few bets (pre-Favre) pending on this game between friends, I don't dare tell them that I am actually worried about this game. Nevertheless, I bought a Willis jersey specifically for this game and can't wait to see Willis stuff Peterson for another -2yards on 14 carries like a few years back.

Hope you guys have a great time at the game. It is great to see the 49ers play in person. Especially when they win!
Originally posted by kenger04:
my girlfriend is the only viqueen fan going with me and I don't think it would be very smart of me to tell her to walk home (5 hours).

why not, is not cold yet...
Is it just me, or are there others who think that John Clayton is no more than a human "head" with no body, whose brain, scientists at ESPN, have been able to keep active and alive, giving viewers the perception that he is a whole person.

Reminds me a little of Mr. Mackey of South Park.....MMKAY!
Originally posted by Joecool:
Do you guys feel the Vikings are an unstable team? It just seems like they are just 2 losses in row from turning on their QB and their coach.

the fans are always 2 losses from turning on the vikings. both of my brothers are vikings fans and as they make mistakes during a game here is the play-by-play of my brothers reactions:

2nd quarter - opponent returns punt 80yards for TD

reach for remote, turn off tv, stand up, "Typical F***ing vikings", moan about it all week.

personally, I love it. I turn back on the tv just to see how badly the vikings can choke away another high expectation year. and believe me they will
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I don't know. I'm still not convinced yet. I think most long-time Niner fans probably feel the same way. They like what they see -- but they're not quite ready to commit just yet.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't a bash post on Shaun Hill. I can't believe some folks are still laying wood on the guy. Hill is far better than Alex Smith will ever be. He's not the best QB to suit up for the Niners -- but he's a far cry better than anything we've put behind center since Jeff Garcia left town.

I'm not quite ready to drink that Koolaid yet for a myriad of reasons. There's no doubt in my mind that this team is better. There's no doubt in my mind that this is probably the best Niner defense I've seen since we went out and signed a bunch of over-priced free agents to win our 5th Championship. There's no doubt in my mind that the offensive line is better -- and that Gore is the real deal.

I have this nagging worry -- say what you will -- that the Minnesota Vikings are going to bring us right back to reality next weekend. This my friends, is going to be a telling game for us. IF -- and I'm not saying they will mind you -- but IF this team jumps up and slaps the Vikings silly? Then folks -- we've got something truly special going on here. A win over the Vikings means more than just a 3-0 record. It means we will have beaten the NFC's best -- on the road no less.

I'm just not ready to annoint this team yet. I'm not quite ready to believe. Confidence is a tricky thing. It takes a long time to get it. And I lost all of it during the down years. That cocky, arrogant fan attitude that I developed during the glory years was beaten from my soul with a baseball bat of six lost seasons.

So kids -- I guess what I'm saying here is -- I want to believe. I really do. But I just can't do it yet. Next weekend is a key game for us. I mean KEY. We win that game? We're for real. All doubts in my mind will have been erased.

But, if we lose, all bets are off. Singletary or no Singletary -- this is one heck of a crucial game. It's more than just one win. It's more than just one loss. It will validate whether we've returned from our long trip in Purgatory, or we've missed the trail home yet one more time.

Where to start...

The Vikings are not the best team in the NFC, they have yet to prove anything and they have a QB with a partially torn rotator cuff who we shut down pretty good last year. AP is the only thing on that team we have to really worry about. This is an important game for sure, but not nearly as important as the two we have already played or any more of the divisional games we have yet to play. I like it as a barometer game to see how we can handle the best RB in the game, but the Vikes O line had serious trouble protecting Farve yesterday and we have shut AP down before. I think the Falcons and Colts are better indicators of how much better this team is.

Don't want to turn this into another Hill/Smith thread but Hill has looked anything but spectacular so far. He misses so many open receivers and his pocket presence leaves much to be desired. I think he is doing well considering the limited skills he possesses, but I have to think that Smith might get the ball to the receivers more often. As long as we win though, I can deal with whoever the QB is.

As a 30+ year fan of the niners I too feel reluctant to get my hopes up too high, but the defense is as good as any I can remember in my time watching the niners, right up there with the underrated one that shut down the Dolphins in the Superbowl. Just gotta take it one game at a time and see if the offense can improve on what they are doing, if so, we could have something special.

Yeah, I don't think the Vikings game is a make or break game. I think the 49ers best chance of making the playoffs is to win the division. These past two weeks have given us a chance to do that.

You always have to be careful not to be too high during the good times, or too low during the bad times. That being said, I think as fans we do have the right to be excited about this season. It's been a while since we have seen a team, with a real chance of being in the playoffs.

Nicely Done! Exactly what I was thinking.

"Cuz drugs are bad. MMKAY"

Great post. But I think you will be saying this before every game.
Originally posted by GodismyLight:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Clayton is a straight up guy. He tells it like it is. I like how we pick up a W, and we also took out their QB and a few other starters so in the future they will be getting f**ked up by other teams.

The Seahawks looked weak yesterday. Not one guy on that D could keep up with Gore.

AZ is the only threat in the West at this point.

Can't overlook STL. They played Niners tough last year.

If Seattle can beat the Rams like that, we should be able to completely destroy them. Maybe end up in some kind of "Mercy Rule" or something, being called.
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Originally posted by GodismyLight:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Clayton is a straight up guy. He tells it like it is. I like how we pick up a W, and we also took out their QB and a few other starters so in the future they will be getting f**ked up by other teams.

The Seahawks looked weak yesterday. Not one guy on that D could keep up with Gore.

AZ is the only threat in the West at this point.

Can't overlook STL. They played Niners tough last year.

If Seattle can beat the Rams like that, we should be able to completely destroy them. Maybe end up in some kind of "Mercy Rule" or something, being called.

I feel that Singletary keeps the team very humble. He won't let us take any team lightly.
Share 49ersWebzone