There are 126 users in the forums

Concerns about our running game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Concerns? How could that be? We are 2-0 and Frank just had a 200 yard game?

As exciting as that is, we still can't run the ball when we need to.

For two games in a row now, we have had two chances, one with about 5 minutes left and one with a minute left, to run the ball, control the clock and win the game.

All four times (twice against the Cards and twice against the Hawks), we went 3 and out, giving the other team chances to get back into, or to win the game.

And for all the excitement about Gore's big day, if you take out the two long runs, he had about 50 yards on 12 carries. That certainly isn't bad, but it isn't great either. Without the long runs, if he had kept up that average and had 20-25 carries, he would have had around a 100 yard day. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

And obviously, if he doesn't break it into the endzone, we can't score. We haven't yet this season. So, against a little better defense that doesn't give up those huge plays, who maybe tackles Gore after a good 15-20 yard gain, we probably don't end up with TDs.

If there is one thing we are supposed to be able to do as a team, it's to run the ball when we need to. Breaking big ones is great, but you can't depend on the home run.

We really need to be able to control the ball late in the game, and to be able to pound the ball into the endzone on long drives, if we want continued success.

How dare you post something that makes sense! You should know by now there is a LOT of myopia here on this board!

WOW....

Dude...he ran for 207 yards against a defense who did nothing but try to stop him...AND THEY COULDN'T. The second run was against a NINE-MAN FRONT.

He had 48 yards on 14 carries outside of those 2 big runs. Thats 3.4 yards per carry. Seattle was stacking the box the entire game and their only focus was Frank Gore.

Guess what tho....EVERY RB in the NFL will have a low average per carry if you just took the long runs away...lol.

Yer just talkin' crazy. ;-)
I have to say I was honestly half disappointed during the draft when the 49ers picked M.Crabtree with the 10th pick because although he is a supposedly dominant WR the team couldn't pass up,I thought to myself they don't really need to add to that position right now,what they really needed and was sitting right there - Michael Oher

They blew it! IMO

Which brings me to the point that we probably would be less concerned about the running game or pass protection if the 49ers had drafted him.

Michael Oher is the starting RT for the Ravens by the way
Originally posted by Super5:
I have to say I was honestly half disappointed during the draft when the 49ers picked M.Crabtree with the 10th pick because although he is a supposedly dominant WR the team couldn't pass up,I thought to myself they don't really need to add to that position right now,what they really needed and was sitting right there - Michael Oher

They blew it! IMO

Which brings me to the point that we probably would be less concerned about the running game or pass protection if the 49ers had drafted him.

Michael Oher is the starting RT for the Ravens by the way

Actually wed still be have concerns with our Oline. a RT isnt the only concern we have on the line. the only two spots stabilized is LT and C. even if Oher came in and played lights out having Baas and Rachal get beat often is still going to lead to tons of sacks and loss of yards in the run game. Its never as simple as oh we shouldve just drafted Oher.

Besides that the Ravens have a great veteran group of guys who consistently rank amongst the league best. Look across our Oline. Staley - 07 pick. Baas- 05.Hiet -00. Rachal- 08. Snyder 05.

lets look at the Ravens starting five.

Pace/Gaither, Grubbs, Birk, Yanda/Chester and Oher. so you have two consistet Pro bowlers in Birk and Pace. a first rounder in Grubbs and Oher and Yanda and Chester who do a dam good job. compare that kind of exprience and talent to ours. only first round talent is Staley. and Hiet is a near probowl player...dam...i just depressed myself. ima go drink
I think our offense as a whole will get better as the season progresses. We need to shore up the o-line with the next draft or FA period.
It's not a concern at all because now teams know we can break open a game with a huge running play similar to the Vikings or Titans. It may actually keep them from loading the box too often.
The running game is a major concern for this team. The 0line just isn't opening running lanes like they did last year. On most running plays after the snap the whole O-line just collapses like a rugby scrum and our hb dives into the pile. Hopefully Gore is able to hit a couple of highlite reel runs every week the way he did against the Hawks. Were gonna need it until the running game becomes more consistent..
Originally posted by djfullshred:

As exciting as that is, we still can't run the ball when we need to.

It is interesting that you think this after the TV analysts broke down Gore's second 80 yard run, and counted 9 defensive players at the line to stop the run.

You can't subtract two of the best plays from the total, and then say they should do better with the rest. That doesn't make sense. It is the total at the end of the day that tells you how effective they were.

Eggmothafuginsactly.
THREE GAMES IN A ROW!

Once again, with the lead, we had TWO chances within the last five minutes to run the ball and end the game.

AND ONCE AGAIN, we went 3 and out. This game isn't over yet, I'm watching it as I post this, but this is a HUGE concern.

This game could be over, but we can't run (or get first downs some other way) when we have to, and are banking on our D to win the game for us.

This has to change or we will not win key games. Even if we win this one, this has to be a very big concern.
HOLY SH!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the worst case of "I told you so" in the history of my life, this proves to kill us.

By 2 seconds and an unbelievable play. But that is what happens when your running game can't waste at least a few downs and seconds by killing the clock when it's a close game.

Not every team is an NFC West patsy. If we can't control the game when the game is on the line, what the h@ll is the point of having a "power running" team?

And even Frank and half the Oline being out isn't an excuse, we just needed to play smart enough to waste an extra few seconds and we win, but TWICE our O went 3 and out and that is what gave Favre the chance to beat us.

• flow
  • Veteran

In the worst case of "I told you so" in the history of my life, this proves to kill us.

By 2 seconds and an unbelievable play. But that is what happens when your running game can't waste at least a few downs and seconds by killing the clock when it's a close game.

Not every team is an NFC West patsy. If we can't control the game when the game is on the line, what the h@ll is the point of having a "power running" team?

And even Frank and half the Oline being out isn't an excuse, we just needed to play smart enough to waste an extra few seconds and we win, but TWICE our O went 3 and out and that is what gave Favre the chance to beat us.

Walsh always believed in passing to score and then running to win.

Singletary believes in running... regardless of the situation.

And you know what's really sad? Our running game isn't even that good; Frank Gore is just so awesome that he hides our weaknesses. Once Gore became injured, however, the emperor revealed his nakedness.
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:

And you know what's really sad? Our running game isn't even that good; Frank Gore is just so awesome that he hides our weaknesses. Once Gore became injured, however, the emperor revealed his nakedness.

It really is sad how limited our offense it without him. If we don't do something serious about our O line and get some playmakers on offense soon, we will waste years of a potentially dominant defense.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Shorteous.

It really is sad how limited our offense it without him. If we don't do something serious about our O line and get some playmakers on offense soon, we will waste years of a potentially dominant defense.

I don't think it falls on the offensive players, I really think it comes down to the offensive coaches, their game plan, and their stubbornness to prove we are something we are not. I love sing and this team but damn we are acting a bit to stubborn about this concept.
Originally posted by Shorteous:

I don't think it falls on the offensive players, I really think it comes down to the offensive coaches, their game plan, and their stubbornness to prove we are something we are not. I love sing and this team but damn we are acting a bit to stubborn about this concept.

While I agree some of the play calling was absurd (do we know ANY other running plays beyond straight up the middle?), the bottom line is we don't have the players to run any other type of offense.

We have a very limited, though poised QB, but he just can't make the throws a pro bowl QB can make. We have a O line that can run block pretty well, but is fairly awful at pass blocking and we have no real playmakers on O to throw the ball to when teams know we have to pass. VD stepped up today, but a solid TE is not enough to take the pressure off our running game and open things up.
Originally posted by tohara3:
I think we will get better as we go during the season.
Share 49ersWebzone