LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Valuing T.O.P. - Time of Possession

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Miami played the TOP game with Indiannapolis 45 minutes to 15 minutes, and lost. But they were in the game with Indiannapolis and could have won with a break or two. Manning is so good and so efficient that they virtually scored on all of their offensive opportunities. Many lessons to be learned.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
NickSha49...great f**king post.
Originally posted by GEEK:
NickSha49...great f**king post.

Nick always brings some of the best posts here. Even though I disagree with this type of play, so far it has gotten us two wins... I ain't THAT mad at it lol
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Miami played the TOP game with Indiannapolis 45 minutes to 15 minutes, and lost. But they were in the game with Indiannapolis and could have won with a break or two. Manning is so good and so efficient that they virtually scored on all of their offensive opportunities. Many lessons to be learned.

Lesson learned is your defense has to get off the field. Doesn't matter what your offense does. As proven last night.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Great thread & posts fellas! I haven't really thought about the TOP that much this season, but it is great too watch the team make those long drives to just drain the other team late in the second half. Hope the offense continues to dominate the TOP.
Great post, but I have to say while I think the strategy will get wins, I don't think it will get us very far in the playoffs. The Colts just showed that if you can score touchdowns, you don’t necessarily need to win the TOP battle. And another thing that should worry us is the old standby that running the ball also gets you wins. Just this week in the NFL, we had three teams rush for more than 239 yards in a game and lose. Miami vs Indy last night, 239 yards, TOP more than 45 minutes lost 27-23; Tenn had 240 yards rushing in a loss to Houston; and Dallas had 251 yards rushing in a loss to the Giants. The difference…big play ability.

While I am happy that we have a QB that “manages” the game and limits turnovers, the old adage that you win in the NFL by the rush and ball control does not apply consistently from week to week. We can win some games that way, especially with the performance of the defense, but we are not going to be able to win consistently, and if we make it, I don’t think we’ll win in the playoffs with that type of game plan. I can only think of two teams in recent history (Tampa and the Ravens) to do well in the playoffs/Super Bowl relying on defense, a running attack and a “manager” for a QB. Hill has been getting wins, and has thrown the ball well in a few drives here and there, but he is not a QB that can make the down field throws and big plays consistently enough to win the games like those Miami, Tennessee, and Dallas played in this week. I also don’t think Smith is good enough, and Davis more than likely has a bit more learning to do for this year to make any significant difference. So it’s the best game plan for the personnel, but not the best game plan for getting far. It’ll be a good year I think, but not a great year. However, I am very optimistic about the coming years when Nate Davis takes over.
I'm convinced that part of all of this is a psyche-out on Singletary's part. I think that he WILL take the training wheels off, but not until it is necessary. Sort of the exact opposite of the Cards last year - they passed all season, but only when their running game took off did they start to impress.
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Peyton Manning and the Colts displayed how

Points >>> T.O.P

Had the ball less than 15 minutes and won the game.

Im happy the 49ers have won the T.O.P battle, but they need to score 7's instead of 3's on some of these drives.

I was just coming on here to post this. I don't think T.O.P. means anything right now, it's mostly our defense getting off the field. I want touchdowns, and Gore has all 4 of them so far. 147 yards won't cut it against top 15 teams in the NFL IMO.

There's only a few QBs who can completely disregard T.O.P. I still feel that MIA lost that game because of their dumb OC who didn't value the clock.
Originally posted by aacadena:
at least we have a better D than Miami.

That's debateable. I like our defense performance so far, but Miami has
a pretty good defense.

Miami has a better pass blocking offense line though.

I don't care who your put out there, give Peyton Manning some time
in the pocket and he'll eat you alive. So much for 25/75 TOP.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Peyton Manning and the Colts displayed how

Points >>> T.O.P

Had the ball less than 15 minutes and won the game.

Im happy the 49ers have won the T.O.P battle, but they need to score 7's instead of 3's on some of these drives.

I was just coming on here to post this. I don't think T.O.P. means anything right now, it's mostly our defense getting off the field. I want touchdowns, and Gore has all 4 of them so far. 147 yards won't cut it against top 15 teams in the NFL IMO.

There's only a few QBs who can completely disregard T.O.P. I still feel that MIA lost that game because of their dumb OC who didn't value the clock.

Unfortunately, those are the QBs who will be leading their teams in the playoffs.

the colts last night didnt even have the ball for a full quarter 14:53 to be exact. and of coarse they won. shows that we dont match up well vs. indy but i hope im wrong
Originally posted by krizay:

Lesson learned is your defense has to get off the field. Doesn't matter what your offense does. As proven last night.

Once again,

I think we all are right on this one. If MIA defense stops Indy, then the MIA offense must still keep from the Indy offense getting back on the field...and the neverending cycle continues.

You must be talking about Miami's defense, because the Colts defense couldn't get off the field to save their lives, and that proves...oh wait...what are we trying to prove? :)
Yup we are taking care of the ball and eating up time. I remember it used to be the other way around for us.

I DON'T KNOW WHERE PEOPLE GET THAT OUR OFFENSE IS "HOSTLER" LIKE?! Raye is a much better OC. You can tell by how prepared the players are. If Raye is so bad, why is our ball control so much better? Remember the players are still learning this offense...just think about next year and how much more in depth we can be in this offense....IF RAYE STAYS of course!
Share 49ersWebzone