2007 Article about 49ers vs Vikings

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • carl
  • Veteran
Wow.

link
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
Hopefully, this next week will look even better. Detroit's Smith ran pretty well against the Vikings in the highlights of today's (Sunday's) game. Gore should do even better.
  • carl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoastNut:
Hopefully, this next week will look even better. Detroit's Smith ran pretty well against the Vikings in the highlights of today's (Sunday's) game. Gore should do even better.

Reading the article was incredible! Shaun Hills first real game. Alex Smith out with a shoulder injury. Nolan fluffing up the news. It was so typical 2007.

I really felt that that game was a turning point for our team. Yes we lost, but we finished strong and Shaun Hill came out of obscurity and won a starting job... still not losing a home game. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but you look at the 49ers today and so much of that started with that game.
Originally posted by carl:
Wow.

link

man... its weird... Rattay also came in for Jeff against the Vikes and played well awhile back....

its crazy reading that article... I remember the game....Shaun did the exact same stuff and played well the next week.....I can't believe it took us to late 2008 to finally give him an opportunity to start again.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:28 PM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Wow.

link

man... its weird... Rattay also came in for Jeff against the Vikes and played well awhile back....

its crazy reading that article... I remember the game....Shaun did the exact same stuff and played well the next week.....I can't believe it took us to late 2008 to finally give him an opportunity to start again.

We really need Hill to step up for us in this game. Chances are we'll have a hard time running the ball against Minnesota's defense. It's imperative that we get the pass game going. I hope we make it an emphasis to try and get the ball to Vernon and Josh this week. Hopefully Jason Hill gets some playing time and Brandon Jones is available for us as well.
[ Edited by B650 on Sep 21, 2009 at 4:11 AM ]
Pat Williams will be difficult to run against, this is a true test for our O-Line this season, Kevin Williams can also apply pressure from the DT position, and we all know about Jared Allen....If the O-Line has a strong game, we stand a pretty good chance of surprising the Vikes and coming out of it with a W
  • carl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
Wow.

link

We really need Hill to step up for us in this game. Chances are we'll have a hard time running the ball against Minnesota's defense. It's imperative that we get the pass game going. I hope we make it an emphasis to try and get the ball to Vernon and Josh this week. Hopefully Jason Hill gets some playing time and Brandon Jones is available for us as well.

First of all, the Vikings opponents combined record so far this season: 0-4. Last season combined: 4-28

I'm certainly not saying it's a lock against the Vikings. But their 2-0 record so far this season isn't exactly impressive when you consider their opponents.

I don't think that Shaun needs a lights out game, though it certainly wouldn't hurt. Vernon needs to start catching the ball consistently. He's been getting open and having passes thrown his way. But if he doesn't catch the ball, it's a waste of a down.

I really don't know what's up with our running game. Were our guys playing crap week 1 or was Seattles defense just not very good against us or some thing else entirely? I really don't know.

As much as we all thought this was a GPS game against Seattle, I think that we have another GPS game against the Vikings this week. If we beat them, we could easily be 4-0 after the Rams the following week.

Another thing... two weeks in a row opponents offenses haven't looked like they are in sync. Is that because they haven't been or because our defense is playing good enough to make other teams look bad?
Originally posted by B650:
Wow.

link

First of all, the Vikings opponents combined record so far this season: 0-4. Last season combined: 4-28

I'm certainly not saying it's a lock against the Vikings. But their 2-0 record so far this season isn't exactly impressive when you consider their opponents.

I don't think that Shaun needs a lights out game, though it certainly wouldn't hurt. Vernon needs to start catching the ball consistently. He's been getting open and having passes thrown his way. But if he doesn't catch the ball, it's a waste of a down.

I really don't know what's up with our running game. Were our guys playing crap week 1 or was Seattles defense just not very good against us or some thing else entirely? I really don't know.

As much as we all thought this was a GPS game against Seattle, I think that we have another GPS game against the Vikings this week. If we beat them, we could easily be 4-0 after the Rams the following week.

Another thing... two weeks in a row opponents offenses haven't looked like they are in sync. Is that because they haven't been or because our defense is playing good enough to make other teams look bad?

I just look at their personal on offense and they are pretty set with burners on the outside and a good TE (which Farva has always loved using) and an online who can run block with a Ridiculous RB in Peterson.

if yall watched their game against the Lions, Peterson was trying to dish out punishment on the opposing defense....lowering his head hitting hard......

but I like that....I hope he tries that against our D...so that after a few hard hits from our defense, it might throw off his game. I know we shut him down 2 years ago...but that doesn't mean sh1t this year...

I think Shaun will do fine.....this is his toughest defense yet since the Redskins last year....and the fact that it is in a dome...them Vike fans are going to go crazy!

which brings me to your last question....hopefully we shut up those fans early with long clock draining scores. The last 2 games I believe it was our Defense just throwing off the rhythm of these offenses...playing them tough and beating them up..... if you look at the the end of both games, both of their starting QBs looked like they lost something out there.... if you look at Warner, after the game he was just on one knee for god knows how long....that one pic with Shaun walking up to him ready to shake his hand...while Warner is just looking up ....and of course Hasselbeck with this red/purple face, he looked like he was hurting reeeeeaaaal bad...... Seneca seeemed to get off fine, maybe we were trying to keep him in the pocket and beat us and were not as aggressive.

So if we can destroy Farva like Warner and Hasselbeck.....hit him every opportunity we get and beat up their receivers and TE, we can take the crowd out of the game...... as the week goes on we are already winning the mental battle...when those young offensive receivers watch the game tape of the 9er defense, in the back of their mind, they're thinking HOLY SH1T.... so we just have to live up to it on Sunday and remind them.

I hate that it is an early game, but hey, at least its in a dome.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:28 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone