There are 175 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So, did Arizona load the box on us ?

Love the attention to detail Love to see facts, not just opinions, and draw my own conclusions. Thanks for doing this analysis.

The real question for Jimmy Raye this week: how do you best burn a defense that is committed to run blitzing? I hope to see more quick slants and hooks over the middle to Morgan and Davis this week. These are the boys who are big enough and strong enough to break a tackle and tack-on big YAC.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Sep 17, 2009 at 11:12 AM ]
Yeah that's pretty fair to say they loaded the box on us, but we still have to get much better with O-Line, and Moran has to block better, and the O-line has to give Shaun much more time to throw and stay up right.

Great work dude, appreciate it!
[ Edited by waiting4number6 on Sep 17, 2009 at 11:14 AM ]
Originally posted by TrailerParkMan:
The real question is: How many men were in the box when we weren't looking? Are we creating 8-9 men in the box by simply observing them?

I think so...but still useful info
This is exactly why we need to focus on Vernon and the hot route. When they stack the box, there needs to be a quick pass to him for 5 yards and let him work from there.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Love the attention to detail Love to see facts, not just opinions, and draw my own conclusions. Thanks for doing this analysis.

The real question for Jimmy Raye this week: how do you best burn a defense that is committed to run blitzing? I hope to see more quick slants and hooks over the middle to Morgan and Davis this week. These are the boys who are big enough and strong enough to break a tackle and tack-on big YAC.

IMO, Raye did that exact same thing on the game winning drive. On that drive alone, i believe Davis had about 3 catches.

-9fA
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
This is exactly why we need to focus on Vernon and the hot route. When they stack the box, there needs to be a quick pass to him for 5 yards and let him work from there.

I don't know, maybe Jimmy Raye was looking for them to show something like this instead:

Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
10 with 9 men in the box
12 with 8 men in the box

Whoa! That means about 1/3 of our snaps, they loaded the box w/ 8-9 men. We gotta either PA outta that mess next time.

Very good info as always!

You've got to take into context.

IMO, you need to take out the goal-line packages otherwise you're skewing the stats.

-9fA

True. How many plays were GL formations? I remember it took 3 plays for Gore to catch the GW TD. But on his rushing TD, was that the first or second play? Overall, that's 4-5 plays subtracted. Subtract that, it's still a lot of snaps w/ 8-9 men in the box.

That's true but IMO to take these stats into context you have to provide the offensive formation that they were against when they went to loading the box.

It's not surprising to me that when we went 2 TE, FB and single WR that there were 8-9 men in the box. Also short yardage situations present the same argument.

By the way, i do appreciate the effort

-9fA
Without coaches tape isnt it really hard to tell how many are in the box. Especially with a guy like Adrian Wilson who constantly fakes likes hes coming down in the box and then backs off and vise versa?
Hey BigMar, are you paying attention. This is what I call an insightful post with some useful info and material that can be discussed. It is not just a rant of his opinions.

Very interesting. It looks like AZ stacked that box and weren't going to let Gore beat them. This is because we do not have a WR threat. All of our WRs are average at best. This is a continuing trend for the past few years.
Dam hopmie did you watch every play over and count? That's dedication homie well appreciated. Good break down i'm read this one on the way home from work
GREAT POST!
if hill woulda connected on a couple more of those deep shots he took the d woulda backed the fk off and gore woulda had some breathing room
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Okay, so I took a hard look at the AZ defenses used against us. Wanted to see how often they loaded the box. Here is what I came up with, and also added more on RB performances...

Out of 62 snaps, AZ used:

regular snaps under center:

10 with 9 men in the box
12 with 8 men in the box
21 with 7 men in the box
1 with 5 men in the box

in shotgun formation:

1 with 8 men in the box
3 with 7 men in the box
10 with 6 men in the box
4 with 5 men in the box

Here are the individual numbers for our rushers... the +/- is yardage gained or lost... then followed by the defensive numbers in the box against us.

draws :
(-3) 6 box
(+4) 5 box
(-4) 6 box

under center :
(-2) 7 box
(+3) 7 box
(+1) 8 box
(0) 8 box
(0) 7 box
(+3) 8 box
(+2) 8 box
(+6 TD) 8 box
(+4) 8 box
(+4) 8 box
(0) 8 box
(+2) 7 box
(-1) 9 box
(+3) 7 box
(+1) 9 box
(+1) 9 box
(+5) 9 box
(+3) 9 box
(-2) 9 box

Coffee
under center :
(-3) 7 box

Norris
under center :
(+2) 9 box

Awesome Information...Thanks
lol @ everyone asking "where's our playaction?"

Guys... you gotta have a run game for the playaction to work. We can playaction once or twice before proving our running game can gain yards, but Arizona believed, and IMO correctly, that we couldn't pass well enough to win the game. Luckily for us our defense played as good as they did.