There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So, did Arizona load the box on us ?

Okay, so I took a hard look at the AZ defenses used against us. Wanted to see how often they loaded the box. Here is what I came up with, and also added more on RB performances...

Out of 62 snaps, AZ used:

regular snaps under center:

10 with 9 men in the box
12 with 8 men in the box
21 with 7 men in the box
1 with 5 men in the box

in shotgun formation:

1 with 8 men in the box
3 with 7 men in the box
10 with 6 men in the box
4 with 5 men in the box

Here are the individual numbers for our rushers... the +/- is yardage gained or lost... then followed by the defensive numbers in the box against us.

draws :
(-3) 6 box
(+4) 5 box
(-4) 6 box

under center :
(-2) 7 box
(+3) 7 box
(+1) 8 box
(0) 8 box
(0) 7 box
(+3) 8 box
(+2) 8 box
(+6 TD) 8 box
(+4) 8 box
(+4) 8 box
(0) 8 box
(+2) 7 box
(-1) 9 box
(+3) 7 box
(+1) 9 box
(+1) 9 box
(+5) 9 box
(+3) 9 box
(-2) 9 box

Coffee
under center :
(-3) 7 box

Norris
under center :
(+2) 9 box
[ Edited by oldman9er on Sep 17, 2009 at 10:32 AM ]
damn good information. Thanks.
Nice,

Looks like we need to throw in some runs from the Shotgun... Gore-em with only 6 in the box...
10 with 9 men in the box
12 with 8 men in the box

Whoa! That means about 1/3 of our snaps, they loaded the box w/ 8-9 men. We gotta either PA outta that mess next time.

Very good info as always!
I think when playing the Niners teams will always look to stack the box. In this ARI game Hill did enough to back them off a bit...as evidenced in your analysis.

But I bet, there were a lot of stacked boxes during those 3 consecutive three and outs.

Teams will always be looking to stack up on Hill, he is going to have to back them off all season long
[ Edited by danimal on Sep 17, 2009 at 10:48 AM ]
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
10 with 9 men in the box
12 with 8 men in the box

Whoa! That means about 1/3 of our snaps, they loaded the box w/ 8-9 men. We gotta either PA outta that mess next time.

You've got to take into context.

IMO, you need to take out the goal-line packages otherwise you're skewing the stats.

-9fA
10 with 9 men in the box
12 with 8 men in the box

I think this why Singletary wasn't extremely happy with the play call. Running the ball is for using clock, bringing the defense up, and keeping balance.

The defense was brought up but we didn't take advantage except for that one drive.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
10 with 9 men in the box
12 with 8 men in the box

IMO, you need to take out the goal-line packages otherwise you're skewing the stats.

-9fA

True. How many plays were GL formations? I remember it took 3 plays for Gore to catch the GW TD. But on his rushing TD, was that the first or second play? Overall, that's 4-5 plays subtracted. Subtract that, it's still a lot of snaps w/ 8-9 men in the box.
Teams know our strengths and want us to beat them through the air. They're daring Hill to beat them with his arm. But the jokes on them because Hill can beat you through the air.
Originally posted by Joecool:
10 with 9 men in the box
12 with 8 men in the box

I think this why Singletary wasn't extremely happy with the play call. Running the ball is for using clock, bringing the defense up, and keeping balance.

The defense was brought up but we didn't take advantage except for that one drive.

Agreed, that long drive probably had only 2-3 rushing plays, rest were passes and it ended up being the GW TD drive. The rest was our D sealing the win.
The real question is: How many men were in the box when we weren't looking? Are we creating 8-9 men in the box by simply observing them?
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
10 with 9 men in the box
12 with 8 men in the box

-9fA

True. How many plays were GL formations? I remember it took 3 plays for Gore to catch the GW TD. But on his rushing TD, was that the first or second play? Overall, that's 4-5 plays subtracted. Subtract that, it's still a lot of snaps w/ 8-9 men in the box.

I actually considered this in while also not crediting DBs just because we they were close at the LOS just because of the short distance in goal line... As you said, there were not many occasions anyway. The Gore TD reception (for instance) was a shotgun formation, and the Gore rushing TD was from under center.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
great, teams will load the box on us,then we'll just air it out muahaahahah
Good info OldMan. Hopefully, this equates to successfull use of playaction. VD, DW, and even MROB should benefit in the short quick passing game.
What the hell happened to play action? Doesn't seem like we use this enough. Looking at the stats you've so generously posted...We should be running play action screens and sideline out patterns. When will RAYE open it up? I hope as the season progresses, the play book will aslo progress. I can appreciate the W, especially against the rival Tardnals, but we can't expect the D to bail us out like this every week.