There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defense Question.

Last week against AZ, the Niners had all there four defensive linemen stand up instead of getting into a three point stands. At the snap, the linemen picked a route and went balls out for Warner. The announcers didn't comment on it. I was wondering if someone could give me some back up info about this defense? Thanks.
To my knowledge it's just something to throw off the offense. They were probably screaming out mulitple defensive plays just to annoy or confuse the offense a bit. Could have been disguising a blitz or just faking like a blitz is coming. Or I could just be wrong.
I noticed it as well. It happened at least twice. I have never seen it before and thought it was pretty interesting.
I wonders why none of the Niner pundits have talked about it?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I think they did that so AZ wouldn't know who was rushing or who was droping back. It also made the stunt with Lawson crashing inside and Smith going arount the outside eaiser and faster to run.
Originally posted by stevenking57:
I wonders why none of the Niner pundits have talked about it?

Because it's a relatively common way to rush on passing downs, especially when the offensive is in a no huddle / two minute drill. If you stand five guys up and rush four, the offensive line may not pick up a stunt or delayed blitz.
Does it REALLY help if you are only going to rush the same 4 linemen anyways. I mean, I can see if you do that and then rush completely different combinations of players but isn't there a REASON why players work on leverage and put their hands down on the ground: because it's the most effective way to rush and get to the QB?

i like it. should be done from time to time. Only stunt them and throw in a LB.
Like someone has already said, it is a common way to rush the passer. It is used in zone blitzes to confuse the O-line. You have 7 or 8 players walking around in different spots so the O-line can't get a presnap read of potential rushers and their locations, then you pick 5 (sometimes 4 which is not a blitz) or six guys to rush then you drop the rest into zones. It could be a d-linemen dropping and the nickel back rushing or any combination. I have seen baltimore do it alot in the past among other teams.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Does it REALLY help if you are only going to rush the same 4 linemen anyways. I mean, I can see if you do that and then rush completely different combinations of players but isn't there a REASON why players work on leverage and put their hands down on the ground: because it's the most effective way to rush and get to the QB?

I think it was working pretty well when they did it. Justin Smith was mauling their OL when they stood up. Of course, it cant be used all the time otherwise the OL will start running the ball more on passing downs. Thats when I think the leverage comes into play more.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Joecool:

I think it was working pretty well when they did it. Justin Smith was mauling their OL when they stood up. Of course, it cant be used all the time otherwise the OL will start running the ball more on passing downs. Thats when I think the leverage comes into play more.

Jimmy Raye should install an automatic audible into our offense. If teams show that standing up defensive arrangement, then the play automatically turns into a run.
I'm glad they started to do this.... New England has done this before...and I believe Baltimore as well...

I just wish they would add it to the 49ers playbook on Madden... the Patriots have it on their playbook
I remember a handful of times we tried this, give or take. It was very cool, and reminded me of the Pittsburgh defense, as they were doing this at times last year. We also ran a lot of creative stunts... it was clear to me then that Manusky did in fact save his stuff for the regular season. Thing is... I really hope our D plays like this every week... that it wasn't just a struggling Warner and awful Levi Brown making us look good.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Sep 17, 2009 at 1:32 PM ]
I hope they use this defense from time-to-time it worked good.
  • carl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Last week against AZ, the Niners had all there four defensive linemen stand up instead of getting into a three point stands. At the snap, the linemen picked a route and went balls out for Warner. The announcers didn't comment on it. I was wondering if someone could give me some back up info about this defense? Thanks.

From the QB's perspective, if the D-Linemen are in a three point stance, they are coming after him. The guys standing up are not guaranteed to come after the QB. So it's just something else to throw off the QB on obvious passing downs. He can't pre-calculate zone coverage for instance.

The 49ers had a lot of defenders playing shallow zones clogging up the middle of the field (I was at the game seeing this first hand). The new OC for AZ didn't really have much of an answer for that defensive alignment. This is all just my own personal opinion, but when they lined up that way, it was to confuse Warner so that he would think less inside rush and more middle zone. I'd have to go back and watch the game (yes, it's on Tivo for later enjoyment) to see what they were doing in the secondary to validate that.

Of course, all that is my opinion. I'm really just a hack. :O
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home