There are 237 users in the forums

Running Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
yeah. bottom line is they know what we were going to do, they blitzed their linebackers and blew up the oline. No holes for Frank Gore, I just think we need to mix it up more like we were doing when we were moving the ball. that 70% run s**t aiint going to work. Lest commit to more like 55-45 run pass

Sunday's game featured 43% of all plays as running.

So, you've already got what you've asked for.
Originally posted by redrathman:
yeah. bottom line is they know what we were going to do, they blitzed their linebackers and blew up the oline. No holes for Frank Gore, I just think we need to mix it up more like we were doing when we were moving the ball. that 70% run s**t aiint going to work. Lest commit to more like 55-45 run pass

yeah, but when we were moving the ball, they were all pass plays. When we ran we went backwards for the most part so we had to start throwing. If you look at the first half and how the second half started, It was clear we were going to run the ball, that made it easy for Billy Davis to dial up the LB Blitz. we went 3 and out on 5 of our 6 second half drives, mainly because of the run, that TD drive we threw the ball like 12 of the 15 plays
The analyst noticed that everytime we were in a standard HB/FB formation, ARI blitzed all their backers to fill a gap. How accurate the analyst wa, I don't know.
  • dj43
This first game is not a good test for several reasons:

Everyone knew the 49ers were going to pound it inside. That was the entire message all off-season.

Baas and Snyder missed much of training camp and practice time, and it showed. Baas has yet what the 49ers hoped to get with him. Though he gets a pass for a while yet due to injury, his same shortcomings in agility and footwork were evident on Sunday.

Seattle took away all the running lanes most of the time. There was frequently an OLB coming off the edge that would have denied a break to the outside.

Let's wait to see what adjustments are made against the Seahawks before we go postal on the running game, roster and play calling. Good adjustments were made in the second half and they won. Let's hope that continues.

yeah, but when we were moving the ball, they were all pass plays. When we ran we went backwards for the most part so we had to start throwing. If you look at the first half and how the second half started, It was clear we were going to run the ball, that made it easy for Billy Davis to dial up the LB Blitz. we went 3 and out on 5 of our 6 second half drives, mainly because of the run, that TD drive we threw the ball like 12 of the 15 plays

I'm not sure what you're asking for. You've complained, invalidly so, about the percentage of running plays ran on Sunday. Now, you're saying they should have passed from the start and used the running game as a secondary feature.

The running game, while futile, set up the pass. Would you have rather the team open it up from the beginning and completely abandon the run? You might as well re-hire Martz and trade for JT O'Sullivan.

Your posts smell an awful lot like a Monday Morning Quarterback splitting hairs over how the team should have won.
Dont blame Gore! It was our O-Line that couldnt do s**t! Any RB would have strugled. I agree with those who think we should have improvised our game plan since it wasnt working.

I'm not sure what you're asking for. You've complained, invalidly so, about the percentage of running plays ran on Sunday. Now, you're saying they should have passed from the start and used the running game as a secondary feature.

The running game, while futile, set up the pass. Would you have rather the team open it up from the beginning and completely abandon the run? You might as well re-hire Martz and trade for JT O'Sullivan.

Your posts smell an awful lot like a Monday Morning Quarterback splitting hairs over how the team should have won.

I agree, our commitment to the running game won us the TOP battle.
Originally posted by Joecool:
The analyst noticed that everytime we were in a standard HB/FB formation, ARI blitzed all their backers to fill a gap. How accurate the analyst wa, I don't know.

The 49ers ran just four running plays to eleven passing plays in two running back formations, according to Mike Sando . The majority of running plays came with two tight-end sets.

I wouldn't quote anything Tim Ryan says as truth.

not at all what im saying, your missing the point BADLY. Im saying Arizona knew we were going to run, so the run was no effective the whole game. What im saying is that the run opened up the pass, especially at the end. We came out with the run run pass approach and it didnt work, so like a stated on my first post we need to come out more of a closer to 55-45 approach and keep the defense on their toes. The best offense is when the defense doesnt know whats coming. We made it easy for Arizona defensively, and Oline didnt bring their A game, and Gore didnt have a Gore like game.
Our OGs, Baas and Rachal, played horribly yesterday. I'll give Baas a pass since he's just coming back from injury, but for Rachal it's unacceptable. He's too inconsistant. At times he looks like a Pro Bowl caliber OG. Other times, he looks like a backup.

Snyder didn't play well either. For a running team, we're not showing much promise. Hopefully, we'll turn it around next week.

I hope Pashos can lock down the right side beside because Staley and Heitmann need all the help they can get.

On a side note, once we began throwing the ball consistancy, the holes seemed to open up. Gore only gained a few yards on those carries (fumbling once), but atleast he had room to operate. Moving forward, we can't continue to be so unpredictable, and stubborn, with our running game.

Originally posted by dj43:
This first game is not a good test for several reasons:

Everyone knew the 49ers were going to pound it inside. That was the entire message all off-season.

Baas and Snyder missed much of training camp and practice time, and it showed. Baas has yet what the 49ers hoped to get with him. Though he gets a pass for a while yet due to injury, his same shortcomings in agility and footwork were evident on Sunday.

Seattle took away all the running lanes most of the time. There was frequently an OLB coming off the edge that would have denied a break to the outside.

Let's wait to see what adjustments are made against the Seahawks before we go postal on the running game, roster and play calling. Good adjustments were made in the second half and they won. Let's hope that continues.

I'm confused. You mention Seattle in the above post. Are you from the future?

In all seriousness, all a fan needs to do is listen to Mike Singletary speak at his Monday presser . He isn't Dennis Erickson, who mumbled and bumbled his way through questions, all the while dodging answers. He also isn't Mike Nolan, who couldn't admit to defeat on all fronts. Singletary is a man of character and integrity, and he's going to tell it as it is.
We are REALLY missing the speed bounce-it-out back. I know Arizona was in our backfield often but there were also quite a few times where Gore is running into the back of his own line looking for a crease and not going anywhere for a second or two before a defensive player even got a hand on him. On these plays, I think, if Gore had more outside speed, he could have bounced these outside. Arizona was blitzing backers in the middle and clogging the middle entirely. Teams are not afraid of Gore bouncing it outside and gaining much yardage.

I don't know, Sheets is not going to get much playing time if any at all but there is one guy who I think can help us out in this area: Spurlock. I think Spurlock has the quickness and speed to be a temporary change of pace back. He seems to be our utitility knife player on offense.

Does anyone know why we didn't use a lead blocker / Moran Norris more often??

Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
We are REALLY missing the speed bounce-it-out back. I know Arizona was in our backfield often but there were also quite a few times where Gore is running into the back of his own line looking for a crease and not going anywhere for a second or two before a defensive player even got a hand on him. On these plays, I think, if Gore had more outside speed, he could have bounced these outside. Arizona was blitzing backers in the middle and clogging the middle entirely. Teams are not afraid of Gore bouncing it outside and gaining much yardage.

I don't know, Sheets is not going to get much playing time if any at all but there is one guy who I think can help us out in this area: Spurlock. I think Spurlock has the quickness and speed to be a temporary change of pace back. He seems to be our utitility knife player on offense.

It wouldn't have mattered...the Tards were stacking the box and bringing a blitzter on almost every play (or at least it seemed that way). They made the decision to take Gore out of the game and were forcing Hill to make plays (which makes sense, btw)...he made just enough to pull off the win.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

It wouldn't have mattered...the Tards were stacking the box and bringing a blitzter on almost every play (or at least it seemed that way). They made the decision to take Gore out of the game and were forcing Hill to make plays (which makes sense, btw)...he made just enough to pull off the win.

It seems like to me if Hill could makes plays with his arm they wouldn't stacked the box like they did. I know a lot was play calling, but watching Hill throw into double coverage, which it seemed like his ball was so soft it allowed the safety enough time to get over and help made it a lot easier to stack the box.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

That percentage though skewed by the amoutn of passing in the 4th when we had to. Before that it wasn't good enough. I'd like to see more of the quick hitting passes like NE runs with Welker. The pats run that 5-7 times a game and it never loses yards. We could at least try it once. SIng said he wants to be able run when you have to, which would be the 4th quarter. We did the opposite. More passing early is the best recipe for running late. I don't think having a speedier back would mae any difference with the plays that were called.
Share 49ersWebzone