There are 166 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

More Double TE with Vernon & Delanie!

Member Milestone: This is post number 800 for BigMar.
I think this is one of the 9ers best combination on the field.

Very hard for the defense to defend against both Vernon and Delanie.... especially in the Red Zone.

So why don't the 9ers wise up and use it more? Vernon & Delanie are playmakers.
Walker from what I remember had a key drop, and also didn't do a good job blocking on the running plays, we need Norris in there if our run game is going to be more consistent.

I don't really mind it since it allows Hill to do better, but if we are gonna be a run first team, I think we need to run with a more traditional run blocker.
It was pretty effective. I'm watching a replay of the game, particularly the 4th Qtr drive that put us ahead. We gave them a variety of looks:

4 WR, no back, Shotgun
2 TE set
Slid Vernon our for a 3 WR, 2 back set

The 2-back set was pretty effective for us as well. Vernon earned his money on that drive. Hill looked his way the entire drive.

I think more important than a specific formation is that we keep the defense off balanced. They expect that we'll run, so we need to shift to a passing attack at times too. A conservative passing game is exactly what our offense needs to compliment/boost the running game.

[ Edited by strickac on Sep 15, 2009 at 11:05:26 ]
Originally posted by BigMar:
I think this is one of the 9ers best combination on the field.

Very hard for the defense to defend against both Vernon and Delanie.... especially in the Red Zone.

So why don't the 9ers wise up and use it more? Vernon & Delanie are playmakers.

So how often do you think they should use sets featuring two tight-ends? According to Mike Sando of ESPN, the 49ers used sets with two tight-ends 49.4% of all plays against the Cardinals.

This set also requires the 49ers to sit a fullback or wide receiver. Should they completely abandon Norris and Morgan?
Like Singletary says it's a chess game.

It all depends on what the opponents defence strength & weaknesses are.
I just think we need to pass early out of this set early to get the offense going.
I don't think the formation is all that important, but rather mixing up the play calling. The run run pass punt play calling was way to easy for the DC for the opposing team. Then throw in the run run run punt how about a play action on first down. Or better yet start that game running out of the shoot. Try for a deep ball right off the bat and catch the DC off guard and let them know that we can pass AND run the ball and will remind them from time to time during the game so stay on your toes.
no
IMO Walker is a more dangerous receiver than Davis. Vernon seems stiff and for all his vaunted speed, seems slow to accelerate and rarely gets significant YAC. Walker is more fluid and just appears faster with the ball. Is it just me? Davis' speed would come more into play if he could just get the ball in stride so that he already has a head of steam going. Just my take on it.
Originally posted by backontop:
I don't think the formation is all that important, but rather mixing up the play calling. The run run pass punt play calling was way to easy for the DC for the opposing team. Then throw in the run run run punt how about a play action on first down. Or better yet start that game running out of the shoot. Try for a deep ball right off the bat and catch the DC off guard and let them know that we can pass AND run the ball and will remind them from time to time during the game so stay on your toes.

I think it goes beyond play calling. The offensive line has to execute and they didn't plain and simple. Sure Raye needed to opener her up a bit more, but did enough when the time mattered.

Our OL needs to execute better, period. We are going to be faced with 8-in-the-box so Raye needs to sometimes open with the pass to setup the run just to keep the D honest. He didn't in AZ and Singletary said he will address it. I believe him.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
no
Originally posted by ninertico:

I think it goes beyond play calling. The offensive line has to execute and they didn't plain and simple. Sure Raye needed to opener her up a bit more, but did enough when the time mattered.

Our OL needs to execute better, period. We are going to be faced with 8-in-the-box so Raye needs to sometimes open with the pass to setup the run just to keep the D honest. He didn't in AZ and Singletary said he will address it. I believe him.

It also had to do with the blocking schemes that were called for those plays. A few other posters noticed that during run plays there was no straight on run you over and take you out of the play type of blocking but rather pulls on just about every run play called. Let the OLine do their job and mess some people up. Is that not the reason they did the nutcracker drill?

Idk.We might just see that in week 2.The 4th qtr last drive,we mixed it up pretty good.I agree catching them off guard especially early in the game would be great especially later in the season.Sing got his work cut out and our 2 T/E would be a great weapon if they can get them the ball properly.But like you said a good pass to open the game and the run game from jump would be great
I'm starting to think that the Double Tight just won't work well for us. Gore seems to be more comfortable with a FB to follow.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm starting to think that the Double Tight just won't work well for us. Gore seems to be more comfortable with a FB to follow.

I think the double tight end set with Vernon and Delanie would be the most dangerious and effective anytime the 9ers are in the Red Zone..... opposition can't cover both of them within the 20 yard end zone line.

Can you spell TOUCHDOWN!