LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 362 users in the forums

Mark Roman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by hopeforniners:
I'm really tired of coaches sticking to older players, cause they think they make fewer mistakes. (eg: Bruce, Roman)
I'd like to find out how many times a young player made mistakes and how many times an older player just didnt make a play.
I'm not sold on the former being significantly higher than the former. You just dont notice the 2nd as much, cause they're just a step slower and so the older players look like the positioning was not there, rather than an younger player that just making an obvious mistake.
Oh how I miss the niner glory years.

I agree to a certain extent but Singletary has been willing to play the younger guys. How do you know Hudson is better than Roman? Maybe Hudson gets beat all the time in practice? There is a reason why he doesn't play.

yeah, you have good questions this.. u know? i dont like Roman anyway.. whatever
I'm really tired of coaches sticking to older players, cause they think they make fewer mistakes. (eg: Bruce, Roman)
I'd like to find out how many times a young player made mistakes and how many times an older player just didnt make a play.
I'm not sold on the former being significantly higher than the former. You just dont notice the 2nd as much, cause they're just a step slower and so the older players look like the positioning was not there, rather than an younger player that just making an obvious mistake.

I agree to a certain extent but Singletary has been willing to play the younger guys. How do you know Hudson is better than Roman? Maybe Hudson gets beat all the time in practice? There is a reason why he doesn't play.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I don't think Roman is as bad as everyone makes him out to be. If Singletary had the balls to bench Clements for Brown, I don't see why he wouldn't do the same with Roman/Hudson if he felt the need to.

Ah, common sense. Roman's position needs to be upgraded, but how do we do it now? Cutting someone just because we're mad at them without a planned fix ready to take over is not intelligent football.
Originally posted by fzrdave:
I don't think Roman is as bad as everyone makes him out to be. If Singletary had the balls to bench Clements for Brown, I don't see why he wouldn't do the same with Roman/Hudson if he felt the need to.

Ah, common sense. Roman's position needs to be upgraded, but how do we do it now? Cutting someone just because we're mad at them without a planned fix ready to take over is not intelligent football.

yea, keep him around until after we draft Berry.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A

I wish Clements was healthy so they could move him to SS, or nickel corner/back-up FS and SS. Then Roman could get cut and we could bring up Kory... wait the Dolphins already got him.

You see Zoners, that's having a plan in place before sh!tcanning someone. That way you move ahead instead of looking foolish. It's kind of like when John York just had to pink-slip Mariucci even though he didn't have any idea on who or how he could replace him. I think we all know how that turned out.
Reggie Smith needs to heal quickly because he would be getting playing time.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Reggie Smith needs to heal quickly because he would be getting playing time.

This really should be Roman's last year in a Niner uni.

That would be awesome ...

We just need Carolina to get back and tank the rest of their games.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I want to see him permanently bench Bruce and Roman. Both should never get on the field again.
Bruce needs to be replaced by Jones/Hill. And for Roman, I would say everyone on the roster including the big fellas in the o-line and d-line. Even they would be better.
I cant remember the last time Roman made an impact.

I can! It wasnt a positive impact though!

I wanted to talk about this play too.

There was only 1 WR on that side, and the Defense was in zone coverage. BUT, if there's only 1 WR on that side, he should have cheated over to the direction in which that WR was going to. Because other than that, there was no one else out there to guard. Imagine, he barely missed catching/batting that ball. If he was in better position, he would have had made a play on that ball. 3rd and 20!!! Are you kidding me? That looked almost as bad as the Raiders

Originally posted by E-49er:

The philly fan on "Invincible" with the cape is better than Mark Roman!!!

Roman never had "it" when he was younger and is worse now. I would play Hudson instead of Roman because Hudson is younger and more athletic than Roman. When was the last time Roman made a positive play for the 49ers?

When he knocked down the late pass attempt against Texans to give us a chance to get the ball back and score.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by E-49er:

The philly fan on "Invincible" with the cape is better than Mark Roman!!!

Roman never had "it" when he was younger and is worse now. I would play Hudson instead of Roman because Hudson is younger and more athletic than Roman. When was the last time Roman made a positive play for the 49ers?

When he knocked down the late pass attempt against Texans to give us a chance to get the ball back and score.

yes, exactly. If he doesn't bat that ball, slaton gets the first down and then some.
  • GORO
  • Veteran

I only said Hudson, cause Reggie Smith is injured. But Hudson, Smith, I'm sure will make a play that Roman has not been able to make in 3 years
Goldson appeared to do a good job with communicating the play calls. With Willis, we began having breakdowns and with Roman, we always had breakdowns. Give Goldson a few more games but he did a good job this last game.

And send Roman to the end of the bench...on the other side of the kicker.
I'm posting this here for all you guys that think certain players are expendable. I posted this in another thread and rather than going over it in another is alot of wasted effort. This shortens the process.

However I will ONCE AGAIN point out that you can NEVER have too many bodies on Defense. Nate went down for 6 to 8 weeks. So yeah let's just bench or cut Roman.

Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
we couldnt let spurlock go two weeks ago and keep sheets? i dont get it

Does anybody get it? What the bleep is Scot doing?

Sheets are we STILL on about Sheets?

Rossum > Sheets based on production.

What he CAN give you is by far the best information when deciding on who stays and who doesn't.

Rossum's value to the team cannot even be questioned.

Sheets could only do two things. Rossum could do FOUR. How anyone can justify cutting Rossum to bring Sheets up is beyond me.

But let's take this a step further. Before Crabtree signed Spurlock could have been let go (when Gore went down) and Sheets IMMEDIATELY brought up from the practice squad. Give both the Rookie Backs touches to see who the better guy actually is. Then when Gore comes back you send one to the PS.

This ENTIRE mass disaster could have been COMPLETELY circumvented by that ONE move.

Now I may be too harsh on McCloughan, since he relies on the Scouts to give him solid information to work from. No man can work a 53 man roster by being the only guy to break down film, Combine stats and practice data by himself without reliable Scouts. Not even Bill Walsh.

He made a number of solid moves(too any to count) but alot of that was being in the right place at the right time. Like watching a young Receiver from a small unranked school while in a hotel room. Some things the Gods of Fate are in complete control over.

But Scott has to take the heat on this since he put his stamp on it.

Shoot I could do this job with my eyes closed if they wanted someone cheap. The first rule I live by is "DON'T SHORTCHANGE YOUR BEST UNIT" and what is undoubtedly our best unit? Or I should say what is the order first to third?

1. Defense
2. Used to be ST.
3. Offense.

Now it's

1. Defense
2. Offense by default.
3. ST

And the reason is Scott either listened to the wrong info or lost his fool mind and cut the one guy that affects 2 out of 3 units in four different ways.

INFREAKINSANE.

*Edit* Shoulda known that I would forget about Robinson. Soon as I finished and signed off I go back and someone rants about keeping him and "he does absolutely nothing". Well gotta say that Robinson falls into 4 places on the team just like Rossum did. Excellent Gunner on ST. He's used as a Blocker on Punt team. He basically runs over guys when he HAS the rock and he can fill in as an extra blocker when the Line is playing like $4|T. So yeah why don't we cut that guy too. *ediT*

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone