There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Keeping Greg Manusky, how do we do it?

Originally posted by ninerempire25:
What this guy has done with defense is amazing.

Was thinking how in the hell are we gonna get any pressure on Warner ??

Manusky ran some good schemes. If the 49ers defense keeps playing the way they did the 2nd half of last year. Unfortunately I see Manusky getting looked at by other teams.

Who's idea was it when on a few plays I saw all the D-lineman standing up to pass rush Warner ??

it may be one game it may be early but i had the same feeling as yours at one moment in the second half
i said to myself "i hope he's commited to sing for a few years in this rebuilding mode"
strange feeling i hope i'm wrong
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Lets not get too ahead of ourselves here...

-9fA

I'll second the motion.

Warner did not play well all pre-season.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

-9fA

I'll second the motion.

Too bad, too sad for Warner.
if necessary, we can hire Dick Jauron next year as a DC..because he wont be in buffalo any more
Originally posted by GORO:
I thought the same thing, if the Niner defense leads us to the playoffs his name will be mentioned for the openings in Dallas, Washington, Buffalo and a few others

Well, I hope he can stay with us for a few years more, but if he really gets head coaching offers from other teams and Dallas is one of those teams looking for a new head coach, that means Wade Philipps would be available and we could hire him as our new defensive coordinator.

We would have some sort of continuity on defense this way, because Manusky is a Philipps disciple (coached under him in San Diego) and as I understand it he brought Philipps 3-4 flavour with him to the Niners.

And although Wade Philipps may not be a good head coach (I think he was a horrible fit in Dallas and might have done better elsewhere), he was a terrific defensive coordinator in San Diego and his Dallas defenses also did well.

But with Mike Singletary being a defensive head coach, I think he may not get as much recognition initially for his work (Remember? All the guys who left us for head coaching jobs were on the offensive side) and could stay a little longer, which would be perfectly fine with me

-9fA

He will have to make us a top 5 defense to go be a head coach next year. I hope he gets to stay around for a couple more years at least.

-9fA

-9fA
Originally posted by King49er:
shhhh

Billy Davis called a MUCH better defense! Plus he was tutored by Dick Lebaeu (sp?) He definitely should get a look for anyone wanting a new head coach next year.
Originally posted by ninerempire25:
What this guy has done with defense is amazing.

Was thinking how in the hell are we gonna get any pressure on Warner ??

Manusky ran some good schemes. If the 49ers defense keeps playing the way they did the 2nd half of last year. Unfortunately I see Manusky getting looked at by other teams.

Who's idea was it when on a few plays I saw all the D-lineman standing up to pass rush Warner ??

Yeah we went into that odd line formation a few times. It confused me, cause I thought there was a rule that stated so many guys had to have a hand down, but there were a few plays when none of our linemen had a hand down. There was also a few times toward the end of the game when the Cards would line up and our Dline stood around until the last second to show how they were lining up and put a hand on the ground.

Im not complaining in light of the results. That standing no hands in the dirt formation worked well each time it was used.
He called a nice game. With the D completely in his control we seem to play with more intensity and creativity. I like it. But we're really jumping to gun to think that after one game that teams are going to be sniffing around for him.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

-9fA

I'll second the motion.

Too bad, too sad for Warner.

The dude aint gonna survive the season. He's another year older, and had hip surgery during the offseason... which many believe is still affecting him (along with a new offensive coordinator). A couple of more beatings like the 49ers gave him, and Matt Leinart will be playing.
  • BigRon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mex49:
Does he know Offense

He knows Offense well enough to defend against it for one game
Originally posted by Mex49:
Does he know Offense

How many head coaches dont "know offense"??? Many! Thats why they hire OCs. There are lots of defensive-minded Head Coaches.... It would suck if they took Manusky from us though!
As soon as Manusky had that millstone Nolan removed from around his neck, his defense became much better. I was really impressed with the pass rush and the play of the defensive backs yesterday. I see good things coming for Manusky.