There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Power running

Originally posted by Mex49:
Chief, my iPhone is having problems.
I get what you are saying, but my point and everybody else watching with me is that our coaching staph was the problem. You can't declare yourself a power anything and then shy away from an easy opportunity to make your mark (4th and inches).
I think the coaches failed in the eyes of the players. I'm not speaking for them but the lack of trust is undeniable

Please gimme some of what you're smoking...pretty sure we won the game
  • Mex49
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
I get what you are saying, but my point and everybody else watching with me is that our coaching staph was the problem. You can't declare yourself a power anything and then shy away from an easy opportunity to make your mark (4th and inches).
I think the coaches failed in the eyes of the players. I'm not speaking for them but the lack of trust is undeniable

Please gimme some of what you're smoking...pretty sure we won the game

You can get it at any self respecting clinic. Just tell them you get head aches

I'm certain the defensive players were quite happy with that decision. I on the other hand was yelling and stomping about the house when they didn't go for it.

Singletary was actually showing faith in the team. He didn't panic and didn't believe they needed to take that big of a risk at that point in the game. He must have believed they would have their shot later...and he was right.
You are crazy the only play was to punt. The oline couldnt move anyone .. You dont go for it on your own side of the field. The coaches did fine great chalenge by sing early, and even though i didnt like the time out in the second half it seemed to get there attention and they made the plays. The play calling was alittle too conservitive but that may open up after the first two games when Raye knows what he can do with the players. RELAX they won.
WTF?

Game is on the line in 4th quarter. 9ers are at their 5 yards line and hand the ball to Gore 3 consecutive times, with Gore almost getting tackled in the end zone for a Cardinal safety?

WTF!

• PierceHolt
  • Info N/A
It's fairly obvious what happened, imo. The defense stuffed eight men in the box and run-blitzed on almost every first-down and second-down play. It's difficult for any offense to run in that situation.

When the Niners finally started passing the ball, the Cards clearly weren't prepared, and the Niners were able to move the ball (albeit sporadically).

After 4 months of Singletary repeating "We're going to run the ball," is it any surprise that defenses are completely geared to stopping the run? Duh. Maybe a few first-down play-action passes might help? Just a guess.
IMO Gore should have had more playing time in the preseason, however the cards D was more than prepared to stop our running game. Still, the Niners held thier own against a pretty good defense and and explosive offense and came away with a win.
Here's my 2 cents.

If you come out saying all offseason that you're going to be a POWER RUNNING TEAM then expect teams to target your running game.

A running offense featuring Gore will get stopped all day when the D is prepared for it.

A passing offense offers more options more targets.

You have to mix it up. Keep the defense guessing. You must be balanced. This is the pros not high school football.
Originally posted by mcbeevy:
Here's my 2 cents.

If you come out saying all offseason that you're going to be a POWER RUNNING TEAM then expect teams to target your running game.

A running offense featuring Gore will get stopped all day when the D is prepared for it.

A passing offense offers more options more targets.

You have to mix it up. Keep the defense guessing. You must be balanced. This is the pros not high school football.

If you eat,sleep,dream, practice you are a power running team, they should have had a little better results than what we saw in the Cards game.

If running is supposed to be our bread and butter.... someone forgot to butter the bread.
It's one game, fellas.

One game against our main NFC West rival and the defending NFC champs in their own house...and we came out with a win.

No, it wasn't pretty and yes we obviously need a lot of work on offense (and you can bet the coaching staff will at least try to make the necessary adjustments), but you can't ignore the fact that this team found a way to win.

So, a little patience is required here while they iron out some of the wrinkles...in the meantime, like Jeff Kent so beautifully said years ago, "Enjoy the game!"

Originally posted by GoFD74:
It's one game, fellas.

One game against our main NFC West rival and the defending NFC champs in their own house...and we came out with a win.

No, it wasn't pretty and yes we obviously need a lot of work on offense (and you can bet the coaching staff will at least try to make the necessary adjustments), but you can't ignore the fact that this team found a way to win.

So, a little patience is required here while they iron out some of the wrinkles...in the meantime, like Jeff Kent so beautifully said years ago, "Enjoy the game!"

Well said.