There are 206 users in the forums

Why does Shaun Hill ALWAYS suck in the 3rd quarter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
And I think most of us here are in agreement Hill is not GREAT at 3rd downs. He is pretty good though thus far as a starter when given a few seconds to throw the ball. That is why we are defending him against the annoying fans that come on this forum saying he totally sucks.

Yeah cause it's not annoying when certain fans do the same to Alex Smith. Not annoying at all.

Stop with the logic already! You're going to raise the standards of these boards.
Originally posted by Squirrel:
And I think most of us here are in agreement Hill is not GREAT at 3rd downs. He is pretty good though thus far as a starter when given a few seconds to throw the ball. That is why we are defending him against the annoying fans that come on this forum saying he totally sucks.

Yeah cause it's not annoying when certain fans do the same to Alex Smith. Not annoying at all.

Stop with the logic already! You're going to raise the standards of these boards.

Logic is that Alex Smith has done nothing but suck. Just look at the numbers.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Your hatred is pathetic, but I digress. This isn't about how bad Smith is (and he is), it's about how your beloved Second Coming of Joe Montana blows goats during the third quarter.

You, however, will probably never see that, since you are so firmly snuggled up in his jock.

It has to do with wins & losses. If Hill didn't pull that last drive out & score the TD, I wouldn't be defending him. Furthermore, if Smith was the starter I would be rooting for him to play well, despite what some of the partisans that like to have the "your quarterback" versus "my quarterback" attitude might think. I think some here noticed I was critical of Smith when he was blowing it in games, so they think I have it out for him or something. Nothing is further from the truth. I will be critical of Hill if he starts to stink it up, just as any starter that is costing them a win.
[ Edited by djfullshred on Sep 17, 2009 at 12:50 PM ]

Your hatred is pathetic, but I digress. This isn't about how bad Smith is (and he is), it's about how your beloved Second Coming of Joe Montana blows goats during the third quarter.

You, however, will probably never see that, since you are so firmly snuggled up in his jock.

All that matters is that Shuan Hill is 10-3 with the same team that Alex Smith is on.

It has to do with wins & losses. If Hill didn't pull that last drive out & score the TD, I wouldn't be defending him. Furthermore, if Smith was the starter I would be rooting for him to play well, despite what some of the partisans that like to have the "your quarterback" versus "my quarterback" attitude might think. I think some here noticed I was critical of Smith when he was blowing it in games, so they think I have it out for him or something. Nothing is further from the truth. I will be critical of Hill if he starts to stink it up, just as any starter that is costing them a win.

I feel you. I'm just f**king around at this point, I just wanna see wins on the board, don't give half a f**k who the QB is.

Ya know, not that anyone cares; but, I lose a little respect for posters every time they make weak personal attacks like this.

Back to the subject at hand...

I'd rather have a QB that rocks in the 4th quarter but slumps in the 3rd then the other way around.

All that matters is that Shuan Hill is 10-3 with the same team that Alex Smith is on.

Changing the rules, huh? Because, clearly, you're not evaluating Hill and Smith on the same level.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Ya know, not that anyone cares; but, I lose a little respect for posters every time they make weak personal attacks like this.

Back to the subject at hand...

I'd rather have a QB that rocks in the 4th quarter but slumps in the 3rd then the other way around.

I'm not looking for respect. I'm pointing out what I see as a legitimate flaw in any argument about our quarterbacks that Joecool tries to make: He is so clearly enamored with Hill that it blinds him to the simple facts that have been reported over and over about Hill's backup.
I mean yeah Cool does ride hill's nuts pretty hard, but thats who he backs. cant fault a brotha for that.

With hill i just say this, why does shaun suck until the 4th quarter. But another statment then a question. Hill needs to score TD's in the first 3 quarters, because trust me when i say teams will notice that he may play strong in the 4th quarter and when teams get wind of this there goes our season.

I wanna see hill manage and SCORE, in the game. I aint gonna diss him yet, because he did win the first game for us. But most teams wont wait around like the Cards did.

Because Cool liking or not, hill was the king of 3 and outs on Sunday. and wait till we play a team that capitalizes on turnovers, and 3 and outs, and they'll eat us up. So i hope he improves after all this talk about seattle, cause in a way, hill's the same as he said about them, can make some good plays, but he is who we thought he was.

Go niners, and i cant wait till sunday.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Sep 17, 2009 at 2:29 PM ]

Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I mean yeah Cool does ride hill's nuts pretty hard, but thats who he backs. cant fault a brotha for that.

With hill i just say this, why does shaun suck until the 4th quarter. But another statment then a question. Hill needs to score TD's in the first 3 quarters, because trust me when i say teams will notice that he may play strong in the 4th quarter and when teams get wind of this there goes our season.

I wanna see hill manage and SCORE, in the game. I aint gonna diss him yet, because he did win the first game for us. But most teams wont wait around like the Cards did.

Because Cool liking or not, hill was the king of 3 and outs on Sunday. and wait till we play a team that capitalizes on turnovers, and 3 and outs, and they'll eat us up. So i hope he improves after all this talk about seattle, cause in a way, hill's the same as he said about them, can make some good plays, but he is who we thought he was.

Wow, now that's just ignorant. Here's the run-down...

13 O possessions.

8 3-&-outs (Doesn't look good in the stat book; but lets look at the facts)

1st 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 15 Hill completes for 13.
2nd 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 13 Hill completes for 12.
3rd 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 20 AZ crushes the pocket and forces a fumble.
4th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 6 Incompletion. Now that's on Hill!
5th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 9 and a run is called.
6th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 9 and Hill gets sacked.

Were running out the clock at this time...
7th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 7 and a run is called.
8th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 2 and a run is called.

Now if you count the INC, Fumble, and Sack against Hill then 3 of the 8 were his fault. I don't blame the guy for completing passes on 3rd and long or for the OC calling run plays...

Looking at the 13 posessions we had on O, I don't know how anyone can call Hill "the king of 3 and outs" when only 3 are his fault...
*sigh*

Hey guys, just so you know... Hill's record as a starter is 8-3. Which is pretty good.

He is also undefeated at home so far... which, again, is nothing to complain about.

Maybe it's time to whine about some of our worse players and coaches, huh?

NO?

Okay, have it your way, then.

13 O possessions.

1st 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 15 Hill completes for 13. (not a first down)
2nd 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 13 Hill completes for 12. (not a first down)
3rd 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 20 AZ crushes the pocket and forces a fumble.(held onto the ball too long)
4th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 6 Incompletion. Now that's on Hill! (you got it)
5th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 9 and a run is called. (maybe not his fault but read below)
6th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 9 and Hill gets sacked. (held on the ball too long)

7th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 7 and a run is called. (maybe not his fault)
8th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 2 and a run is called. (maybe not his fault)

Now if you count the INC, Fumble, and Sack against Hill then 3 of the 8 were his fault. I don't blame the guy for completing passes on 3rd and long or for the OC calling run plays...

Looking at the 13 posessions we had on O, I don't know how anyone can call Hill "the king of 3 and outs" when only 3 are his fault...

Brotha D, wuz goin on, it's been a while. Nice try, but i do wanna thank you for actually proving my point. Now i would have made comments by each down, so make sure u read the parenthesis.

Now on the plays of 3 and whatever, his job is to get a first down. That wasnt achieved so that does fall on the qb. It was a passing play called not run. On the running plays, you cant knock them because i also ask you, we didnt have one drive that was all run. The run is supposed to be the focus, but the passes completed to keep opposing defenses off their game.

When he does get a chance to throw, he has to make the most of the opportunity. if it gets to third down, or 4th where we have to kick then honestly at least one of those downs was a passing play that got nothing or not much.

Bomb to bruce was good, but for the rest of the game, i dont know what you were watching, but he threw behind, over, and too short to receivers. Almosst all his passes where within 15 yards. Do you realize that a reason VD didnt have over 50 yards, and a ton of catches, is probably because defenses know that Davis will be hills no.1 target. and if you shut him down then u create desperation.

ON that drive that he scored, he was efficient for what he does best, short, quick accurate throws within 15 yards, and he drove us to a TD. But why cant he do it in quarter 1, 2, and 3.

I aint knocking hill cause he got a win, but at the same time i say lets be realistic, on what actually went down. not what you do or dont want to see.
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
he's best when he can freelance. he doesn't always have the freedom to call audibles if the plan is to pound the rock come heck or high water. in third the third quarter against the cards, the plan, apparently, was to run run run, eat minutes and where down the defense for the fourth quarter.

13 O possessions.

1st 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 15 Hill completes for 13. (not a first down)
2nd 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 13 Hill completes for 12. (not a first down)
3rd 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 20 AZ crushes the pocket and forces a fumble.(held onto the ball too long)
4th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 6 Incompletion. Now that's on Hill! (you got it)
5th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 9 and a run is called. (maybe not his fault but read below)
6th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 9 and Hill gets sacked. (held on the ball too long)

7th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 7 and a run is called. (maybe not his fault)
8th 3-&-Out: Its 3rd and 2 and a run is called. (maybe not his fault)

Brotha D, wuz goin on, it's been a while. Nice try, but i do wanna thank you for actually proving my point. Now i would have made comments by each down, so make sure u read the parenthesis.

Now on the plays of 3 and whatever, his job is to get a first down. That wasnt achieved so that does fall on the qb. It was a passing play called not run. On the running plays, you cant knock them because i also ask you, we didnt have one drive that was all run. The run is supposed to be the focus, but the passes completed to keep opposing defenses off their game.

When he does get a chance to throw, he has to make the most of the opportunity. if it gets to third down, or 4th where we have to kick then honestly at least one of those downs was a passing play that got nothing or not much.

Bomb to bruce was good, but for the rest of the game, i dont know what you were watching, but he threw behind, over, and too short to receivers. Almosst all his passes where within 15 yards. Do you realize that a reason VD didnt have over 50 yards, and a ton of catches, is probably because defenses know that Davis will be hills no.1 target. and if you shut him down then u create desperation.

ON that drive that he scored, he was efficient for what he does best, short, quick accurate throws within 15 yards, and he drove us to a TD. But why cant he do it in quarter 1, 2, and 3.

I aint knocking hill cause he got a win, but at the same time i say lets be realistic, on what actually went down. not what you do or dont want to see.

OK, let's be realistic. Hill needs to be sharper for sure. No doubt about it. But king of 3 & outs? That is not realistic either bro.

My realistic opinion is the guy played above average football. Not crappy football. Not great football. But pretty decent in a game where there is no disagreement the O-line got completely manhandled. Now I am not making excuse because of the O-line...because there really are no excuses needed for a QB coming off a win with an 89 QB rating. I am not a stats tell the whole story kind of guy, but for sure they tell part of the story.
Share 49ersWebzone