LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 156 users in the forums

Why does Shaun Hill ALWAYS suck in the 3rd quarter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex Smith crew Checking in on this thread.

I told my buddy during that shaun hill fumble review before halftime.. If alex smith was in, there would have been no fumble.

He would have rolled right, and threw it out of bounds.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I told my buddy during that shaun hill fumble review before halftime.. If alex smith was in, there would have been no fumble.

Troll.
Well he sucked in that last 3rd quarter, cuz the O-line didn't show up till the 4th, ie Shaun didn't suck in the 3rd, the O-Line did.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Troll.

nope just an observation. I also think Alex smith would have checked it down more, rather than throwing deep passes that were terrible throws, a few times morgan, or gore or someone was open short and would have had a medium gain.

So I think Shaun is suffering from Alex syndrome, he is putting too much pressure on himself (especially this preseason it seemed like) and screwing up.
The reason he "sucks" in the third qtr, is becasue he is over rated on by the fan base.
He is a decent backup but nothing more, but unfortunately, he may be the best that we have on the team.

On his lone Td pass, a play or two before, he had Gore open in the same flare route.

But he helped in getting us a victory but if he doesnt step it up, he will not be starting for long. Im pretty sure if he is struggling, Singletary is not gonna take long to pull the plug on his ass.

Troll.

The last season Smith played as starter, he fumbled six times in the seven games he played.

And what is an "Alex Smith crew"? That sounds pretty wierd.

[ Edited by djfullshred on Sep 15, 2009 at 15:23:15 ]
Originally posted by BigMar:
Because he has to rest his "noodle arm" for the 4th quarter?

Not trying to be rude or something, but.....are you a jerk?
Shaun Hill's passer rating by quarter in 2008:

1st Quarter - 106.0
2nd Quarter - 85.3
3rd Quarter - 49.7
4th Quarter - 101.3

Shaun Hill's passer rating by quarter in Week 1 of 2009:

1st Quarter - 83.8
2nd Quarter - 93.3
3rd Quarter - 39.6
4th Quarter - 108.5

It really is remarkable. I guarantee this is the biggest dip in the league for any quarterback for any one quarter. If he could fix his third quarter, he'd be a top 10 QB, easy.
Originally posted by T83RR:

1st Quarter - 106.0
2nd Quarter - 85.3
3rd Quarter - 49.7
4th Quarter - 101.3

1st Quarter - 83.8
2nd Quarter - 93.3
3rd Quarter - 39.6
4th Quarter - 108.5

It really is remarkable. I guarantee this is the biggest dip in the league for any quarterback for any one quarter. If he could fix his third quarter, he'd be a top 10 QB, easy.

I know this is understatment of the century, but all around if players on this team can avoid the valleys & drop offs during a game, this team would be something. Hopefully Singletary can sort this uneveness out with a bunch of these guys. Not sure in the past consistancy was really emphasized like you know it is now with the new coach. For example, when he called that timeout when the defense was starting to go into the tank...then lo & behold, they played inspired the rest of the game. I was really impressed by how the players responded to him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Annnnd you can prove this how???

I could also say that if Smith was in, we wouldn't have came close to winning that game. but then by saying that I would just complete a circle that you and me could go round and round in without no proof whatsoever to any statement.

Troll.

Wait. You're calling someone a troll because they post something about the second-string quarterback in a thread called "Why does Shaun Hill ALWAYS suck in the 3rd quarter?" Seriously? That's rich, Cool.

I guess you can't handle the fact that the Second Coming of Joe Montana does truly suck in the third quarter.
That guy IS a troll.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Annnnd you can prove this how???

I could also say that if Smith was in, we wouldn't have came close to winning that game. but then by saying that I would just complete a circle that you and me could go round and round in without no proof whatsoever to any statement.

Certainly it sounds a lot more like fanboy talk than any kind of analysis based upon Smith's past performance in the NFL. The implication from this poster is that Alex Smith is decisive under pressure, and usually makes the right decision. If that was true, he would still be a starter, and his overall QB stats wouldn't be so poor.
Originally posted by djfullshred:

1st Quarter - 106.0
2nd Quarter - 85.3
3rd Quarter - 49.7
4th Quarter - 101.3

1st Quarter - 83.8
2nd Quarter - 93.3
3rd Quarter - 39.6
4th Quarter - 108.5

I know this is understatment of the century, but all around if players on this team can avoid the valleys & drop offs during a game, this team would be something. Hopefully Singletary can sort this uneveness out with a bunch of these guys. Not sure in the past consistancy was really emphasized like you know it is now with the new coach. For example, when he called that timeout when the defense was starting to go into the tank...then lo & behold, they played inspired the rest of the game. I was really impressed by how the players responded to him.

Can someone please alert Raye of this please? He may want to make a 1/2-time adjustment, work on some short passing coming out of the gate, get him into a rhythm, etc. and give him more then a couple passes in the 3rd Q.

1st Quarter - 106.0
2nd Quarter - 85.3
3rd Quarter - 49.7
4th Quarter - 101.3

1st Quarter - 83.8
2nd Quarter - 93.3
3rd Quarter - 39.6
4th Quarter - 108.5

If you're going to look at his 1 game in 2009 then you better look at his 3 games in 2007...

1st Quarter - 86.4
2nd Quarter - 90.7
3rd Quarter - 123.7
4th Quarter - 98.1

Link

[ Edited by D_Niner on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:00 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone