LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 196 users in the forums

Why does Shaun Hill ALWAYS suck in the 3rd quarter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
Is it because the opposing teams adjust after the half or what? I don't understand why he totally bombs every time in the 3rd, and then starts to pick it up again around the beginning of the 4th quarter. Any theories?
[/code]

Look at his 07 stats he had a 123.7 QB rate in the 3rd quarter back then. This tells me it's not Shaun; but, more the play calling...
that was over what 2 games?

Something happens after the half with the 49ers offense. I cant explain it. Playcalling is abysmal, nobody executes their assignments.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
Is it because the opposing teams adjust after the half or what? I don't understand why he totally bombs every time in the 3rd, and then starts to pick it up again around the beginning of the 4th quarter. Any theories?

Look at his 07 stats he had a 123.7 QB rate in the 3rd quarter back then. This tells me it's not Shaun; but, more the play calling...

that was over what 2 games?

Something happens after the half with the 49ers offense. I cant explain it. Playcalling is abysmal, nobody executes their assignments.

3 actually; but, folks on here are getting all bent out of shape after only 1 game in 2009...
Because he has to rest his "noodle arm" for the 4th quarter?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Don't know, but it keeps happening. Oh well! His numbers in the 4th quarter make up for it.

Its only a matter of time though, he needs to be consistent.

he is consistant... for three quaters, and all of preseason he was garbage..... the inconsistancy comes from 1 good drive.
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Don't know, but it keeps happening. Oh well! His numbers in the 4th quarter make up for it.

Its only a matter of time though, he needs to be consistent.

he is consistant... for three quaters, and all of preseason he was garbage..... the inconsistancy comes from 1 good drive.

its because defenses figure him out. Now dont get me wrong i give him credit for that fourth quarter game. But i know for a fact that in no way can we go the entire season with him maybe throwing a TD in the 4th quarter. We gave every opportunity to arizona and they couldnt get it done. The rest of the teams we play i can assure you watched yesterdays game, and know that if they turn it into a scoring fest, then we cant even compare.

Go niners tho, and good job to hill in the 4th
IDK why he always sucks in the third quarter. I was just watching the game again and man he almost threw that interception in the 3rd while we were still down. If they had picked that off...
Beats the hell out of me. I rather have finish strong than blow the game in the end with a fumble or pic.
I wouldn't blame it all on Shaun, but our o-line also never seems to find rhythm in the passing game until the 4th quarter. We also have to take into account the fact that Sunday was the first game since like week 10 of the 2008 season in which our (starting) o-line was fully intact.

As long as the line stays healthy, the chemistry will continue to grow, and things will determine beyond game-planning as to who really belongs on the field, and who doesn't at each individual position.

Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Well I rather him suck in the 3rd then suck in the 4th like Tim Rattay.

But Hill is not our QB of the future. He is a placeholder until Nate Davis is ready.

Seems to be the best hope at this point

I'll vouch for this sentiment as well.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 15, 2009 at 01:29:02 ]
Maybe he loads up on carbs at half time and has the afternoon lull.

It's better than sucking in the 4th.
did anyone notice the playcalling in the 3rd quarter? I think they had like 2 passes... but I would have to rewatch it again... It is obvious Hill is still shaking off some rust, since he wasn't even hitting his dinks and dunks throughout the game...
Doesn't he like to have a Halftime Hot Link and a brew? He just has The Itis when we come out for the third quarter.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
did anyone notice the playcalling in the 3rd quarter? I think they had like 2 passes... but I would have to rewatch it again... It is obvious Hill is still shaking off some rust, since he wasn't even hitting his dinks and dunks throughout the game...

from page 2

Originally posted by Afrikan:
well it might also be the playcalling....

in the 3rd qtr

1st drive

run, run, pass (the one where that 6'8 guy knocked down the pass), punt
they knew we had to pass and that is why that guy jumped up....any other down..he really couldn't take the chance of leaving his feet...

2nd drive

run, run, run, punt

now this is an important part of the game, and our playcalling..... after those useless drives of us basically playing not to lose...... the Cards drive down field and score a TD.... so now after we have been trying to run ALL day with no avail... the score is tied......and everybody and they momma knew we were going to come out passing.....so what do we do....

3rd drive.

pass, pass (deep pass call for some reason), pass, punt

this was the 3rd qtr.....so Hill allowed one passing opportunity in 5 play calls, to start the 3rd qtr.......then he was asked to throw 3 straight times when everyone knew we had to start passing now....

either way he struggled for one series really in the 3rd qtr.

but he came back in the 4th qtr and had a 8 minute 80yard TD drive to take the lead and put us up by 4pts, after the Cards had the lead.

he could've choked in any part of that whole drive and we could have lost.....but he didn't and we got a TD, like so many of the Zoners have been asking for this whole preseason.

hopefully Raye opens up at home next week or the home crowd will boo him out the stadium.

All I ask is he allows our QBs and WRs to get some early passes to get into rhythm like Walsh use to.....these could be our "running" plays
Somebody has been pulling their pants down at half time.......
Share 49ersWebzone