There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coach Sing! (Timeout convo)

im usually the conservative type of guy who think teams that save their timeouts until the last 2 min. are smart, but sing took it to a WHOLE.... NOTHA... LEVO.. it was amazing to see sing get the whole D together and motivate them to stop the cards
  • B650
  • Veteran
Yeah, that seemed like a turning point in the game. Very NBA-like, but I like it.
Originally posted by B650:
Yeah, that seemed like a turning point in the game. Very NBA-like, but I like it.

Haha I memba win Coach Sing called the TO, I was like come on now this isn't the NBA, but he's one of the few football coaches that can get away wit that, and actually use that time out for more than just tightening up a formation, or giving the team a breath and what not, man I love our Head Coach, and if our D keeps playin' like dis I'm gonna start loving our DC too.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
That's good coaching. Break the other team's momentum, settle your guys down, and get everybody on the same page. You see that strategy in basketball all the time because in basketball you have almost unlimited timeouts. In football, the conventional wisdom says you need to hoard your timeouts for the final minutes, but Singletary recognized the critical juncture of the game and spent the timeout wisely. Somebody wrote the other day that "Singletary makes good speeches, but can he coach?" I think that's your answer right there.
Anyone have video or a gif of that time-out? It sent shivers down my spine.
Originally posted by area49:
Anyone have video or a gif of that time-out? It sent shivers down my spine.

i thought it looked really cool but sending shivers down my spine is a little bit of a stretch. i'd like to know what he said tho thats for sure
Originally posted by Lifer:
That's good coaching. Break the other team's momentum, settle your guys down, and get everybody on the same page. You see that strategy in basketball all the time because in basketball you have almost unlimited timeouts. In football, the conventional wisdom says you need to hoard your timeouts for the final minutes, but Singletary recognized the critical juncture of the game and spent the timeout wisely. Somebody wrote the other day that "Singletary makes good speeches, but can he coach?" I think that's your answer right there.

It looked like he gave them a good tongue lashing & told them this is the game stop them now or else. I really like what Coach Singletary is showing so far!
Ya man I loved it. There seemed to be a defensive player giving up on every other play due to fatigue and you didn't see that at all after the TO.
  • SoCold
  • Veteran
I was going to start a thread about this. But mine was going to be titled ‘Singletary Rules!’
Also to be considered is that the bootcamp-like training camp served the defense well. Having been on the field for so much of the game, they had every reason to finally buckle. But Singletary's perspective in that time out and the fact that they already know how to work through pain and fatigue kept them sharp when faltering would have been perfectly understandable. If they can keep this up, they're definitely one of the best defenses in the league. Let's just hope our offense can help them out a bit more going forward.
If you want to talk about how good a coach Sing is, I'll give you another reason. When they drove that eighty yards to score with Frank on the flat. That route was there a few plays before and he was open. Singletary recognized that and I saw him tell Shaun Hill that on the sideline and on the very next play there he was open again and for the touchdown uncovered and untouched.
Originally posted by insanemike27:
If you want to talk about how good a coach Sing is, I'll give you another reason. When they drove that eighty yards to score with Frank on the flat. That route was there a few plays before and he was open. Singletary recognized that and I saw him tell Shaun Hill that on the sideline and on the very next play there he was open again and for the touchdown uncovered and untouched.

My friend and I pointed this exact same thing out during the game, or at least thats what we thought he was talking about.
Originally posted by B650:

It was also very Pee-Wee Football like, but I'm sure thats what made it work.
the timeout was awesome, but will we be saying the same thing if it happens next week? will it not be as awesome then?

I agree with whoever said it above, when gore scored the TD, he was open the two previous plays before that. Matter of fact, on some of the other passing plays during the game, he was open in the flat. Hill normally a check down master, kept trying to go deep.
Nolan did the same thing when he was the headcoach, but his was considered moronic. Fickle fans