There are 218 users in the forums

Defensive post-game analysis (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Someone else mentioned this....but, Franklin was a total force on 2nd and 3rd down...there were other people with me (non niner) fans that asked who #92 was...and I told them Abrayo. Fellas he was making huge pushes towards Warner...DOUBLE TEAMED!!!! It aint gonna show up in stats, but Franklin did what a prototype NT is supposed to do, and more....a huge plus...

Also Dre Bly was amazing the diving one haded swat on a Boldin out was rediculous!!!! He was balls out as our nickel...I love it!!!!!
Originally posted by NickV:
Our D kept us in the game

J.Smith
Parys
Willis
Manny

those guys came up huge!

A++++++++++++++++

You have to include Ray McDonald as well as the Secondary,Ray.M was getting pressure too and also got a sack.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Someone else mentioned this....but, Franklin was a total force on 2nd and 3rd down...there were other people with me (non niner) fans that asked who #92 was...and I told them Abrayo. Fellas he was making huge pushes towards Warner...DOUBLE TEAMED!!!! It aint gonna show up in stats, but Franklin did what a prototype NT is supposed to do, and more....a huge plus...

Also Dre Bly was amazing the diving one haded swat on a Boldin out was rediculous!!!! He was balls out as our nickel...I love it!!!!!

Yeah Franklin has been earning kudos, and in my opinion is an unsung hero of the defense yesterday.
Originally posted by verb1der:

Yeah Franklin has been earning kudos, and in my opinion is an unsung hero of the defense yesterday.

I actually meant 1st and 2nd down
Originally posted by Ether:
He was in part responsible for Nate giving up the long bomb to Urban. If he was slow in his coverage that could've been prevented. But other than that he was better than Roman for sure

rookie mistake. first year starting
The entire defense played well, I was surprised to see Franklin pushing the center/guards back into Warners lap a couple of times and Kentwan Balmer was getting double teamed with regularity, one leading to the game ending sack by Justin. Great defensive game planning by Manusky & co.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Props to Singletary for calling that defensive timeout! That was EXTREMELY smart.

Only someone who knows the game and actually played it , knows that when the defense is tired.

The hurry up was tiring the d' , and coach called the timeout, rallied the troops with his awesome speeches and they came through AGAINST THE NFC CHAMPS.

''Our formula is this; we go out and punch people in the mouth.''

My favorite niners coach since Walsh.

I gotta say that TO in the 3rd....is when the whole team responded not just our D that drive...it was equivelant to a basketball TO when the opposing team makes a run....they call TO to slow the momentum...thats exactly what Singletary did, and you dont see that much in football...but it was very effective, we were on the ropes...and that was just what the doctor ordered....props!!!!
Defense played great, they had a few hickups here and there. They seemed to tire out when the offense wasn't doing jack sh*t and going on their 3rd three and out. Combine that with the no huddle from AZ. Overall the defense impressed me big time.
Props to the D... Lawson played very well!
and much props to our secondary and Roman looked good...

[ Edited by SoCal9ers on Sep 14, 2009 at 18:31:49 ]
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by littleken:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by littleken:
It seems like after this huge victory, many of the 49ers fans got carried away and have set too high of an expectation for the 49ers secondary. The Cardinals' running game was not a threat for the 49ers and the Niners had just 7 man in the box in the most of the game. The team had double coverage on both wideouts all game long, which allows the Hightower to ben open underneath in almost every play. That is fine because Hightower is not a real threat. It was a good defensive game plan for Singletary and Manusky.

However, that scheme will not work for all teams. Teams with better running game will force the Niners to use 8 man in the box. And teams with a real threat with tightend, running back, full back as a receiver will force the Niners defense coverage to mix a little. The Niners defense is simply not a cover 2 based defense. You will see a lot of Michael Lewis close to the line of scrimmage in other games.

I still doubt Clements or any other corner's abilities to cover receivers one on one.
Actually, Spencer was one on one with Fitzgerald most of the time. If he can cover Fitzgerald, he can cover anyone.

I was one of those who asked that folks look back three years to when Spencer was fully healthy and was rated as one of the better young CBs in the league. Yesterday he played back to those ratings.

No. According to Matt Maiocco, Larry Fitzgerald had little success against Nate Clements again. Fiz had some catches when Clements was not on him. Also per Matt Barrows, Clements shut down Larry Fitzgerald most of the day. There are certainly plays when Spencer was one Fitz, but not many plays.

You got to be kidding me if you are saying that neither Clements and Spencer had safety help over the top. The Niners defense was playing soft coverage with safety over the top all day long.

Singletary himself said his CB's played physical(not soft) with the Cards WR's,go watch the game again

I meant the Niners play safe coverage. Corners play physically with the receivers with safety help over the top. As a result, the underneath coverage was 'soft', resulting in Hightower having a big day as a receiver coming out of the backfield.

[ Edited by littleken on Sep 15, 2009 at 10:13:17 ]

I still don't think Roman should be allowed to touch the field. The Fitzgerald TD: Roman over ran the underneath window. If he read it right, it would have been batted.
Originally posted by verb1der:

this might be Ray mac's year. So we had 2 linemen and 1 olb with a sack. Pretty good.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The entire defense played well, I was surprised to see Franklin pushing the center/guards back into Warners lap a couple of times and Kentwan Balmer was getting double teamed with regularity, one leading to the game ending sack by Justin. Great defensive game planning by Manusky & co.

From the reports that I have read Soap and Franklin played their roles well enough to contribute? McDonald and Balmer contributed as well. So it appears we had pretty consistent dline play. The LBs played well and the DBs also. All around defensive play. Looks like Manusky did well also.
Share 49ersWebzone