LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 323 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I dont think they did that bad. The line was getting worked because AZ stacked the box. They know that we dont have a passing game, and we have been saying that Gore was going to be the work horse. I think we showed that we can pass the ball to make big plays.
Originally posted by 5xChamp:
Originally posted by btak49:
Baas may not be the answer at LG. He was getting his butt whooped!

It may be that he's alittle rusty?

also, the few plays i saw the G's had no chance. they shot the gap and where through it as the ball was snapped, they can not move fast enough. we need to implement hard counts, and change it up regularly.
  • diehard68
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by trellblaze1:
Originally posted by diehard68:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by kstolai:
Raye is a joke. He is not an OC. He is a joke.

Pure and simple.

I think it's funny that people believe that any OC would have success with no blocking. Especially one who's plays are completely dependent on timing.

Ray may not indeed be a good OC, but that's not what was evident today. Anytime the opposing DLine is paying rent in your backfield your offense is going to look bad...

Did you notice how the pass protection improved on our TD drive? That's because we spread the field! The playcalling was responsible for a great part of the o-line struggle.

I think the Cards D had lost a little steam nearing the end of that drive.

Don't get me wrong...i don't care for the playcalling either but it's not the biggest of my worries.

Baas might as well have been grass today. Rachal wasn't far behind except for a few good plays...

I'm not concerned with the play calling on the big drive when they scored... they drove, kept their defense on the field, kept making first downs and scored. That's the kind of drive we gotta see. I'm more concerned about the playcalling on the last two possessions when it was absoultely critical to keep possession and maintain a drive.

THREE RUNS UP THE MIDDLE??!! FROM THE 3??!! How uninspired is that? I hate it when you work so hard to get a lead and then become ridiculously conservative when yo try to keep it. And then with 3 mins left we needed to keep the ball in our possession... one first down is all we needed. and what, THREE RUNS UP THE MIDDLE AGAIN!!?? We damn near gave them a chance to take the game away from us.

We need to learn to get aggressive when we have a lead and go for the juggular. Don't give teams a chance to get back into it.

I see where you're coming from concerning the last drive but I my head keeps going back to the talent level. How creative can you get with these guys? With the exception of a couple of proven vets and a few youngsters with potential, these guys are NOT THAT GOOD. Three runs up the middle seems bad...until you get a sack inside your own 20 trying to pass....or throw an interception. Based on the 1st three quarters, these things were very likely to happen.

Yeah, I get it, but we had the one drive. If we did that once we could move the ball again. That drive was all about quick drops, short passes & Hill not giving the blitz time to get to him. Why not do things like that again? I just can't stand the mentality of playing to not lose instead of playing to win!
  • trellblaze1
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by joey82:
I don't know why I am bothering....

Look we haven't had a top 15 offense in half a decade. We weren't a top offense last year nor have we done anything this off season to reasonably believe that we would be a top offense again.

This is what we are going to do. Run the ball, not turn the ball over, avoid giving up the big play and win the game with our defense and special teams. If you don't like that I suggest following another team this season.

This isn't an offense that is going to score 35 points, and you are foolish if you expect that. If our offense doesn't turn the ball over and gives us 17-24 points a game we are going to be in good shape to win a lot of games this year.

We beat a team that went to the superbowl last year in their own house.

So relax and enjoy the win fellas. Stop being unreasonable expecting us to light up the scoreboard every week like the saints because it isn't happening.

Dude!! Don't you get it? Genius playcalling will cancel out lack of talent! If your playcalling is Walsh status, you don't even need an offensive line to execute. Walsh was THAT good at playcalling - he didn't need an offensive line. Martz was good enough to only need 3 1/2 linemen. Walsh also didn't need Montana. Nope...could've opened up the playbook with Kyle Boller and still had the same success. I don't know why Raye didn't just open it up and air it out with Shaun Hill/Young Morgan/Aging Bruce. Our O would be much better if we PASS PASS PASS without ANY thought as to who we're passing with. No...it's all about playcalling. THAT'S gonna decide weather we win or lose. A few months ago it was all about who started at QB - Hill or Smith...but no...NOW it's all about playcalling. Forget EVERYTHING ELSE and make sure we fire Raye and get a playcaller who can call us to the superbowl...
1 good possesion

Hill...YUCK!!

He had a few nice throws but you could tell he just dont have zip on his passes alot of them were LOW!

The oline....Where did they go?
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by kstolai:
Raye is a joke. He is not an OC. He is a joke.

Pure and simple.

I think it's funny that people believe that any OC would have success with no blocking. Especially one who's plays are completely dependent on timing.

Ray may not indeed be a good OC, but that's not what was evident today. Anytime the opposing DLine is paying rent in your backfield your offense is going to look bad...

Did you notice how the pass protection improved on our TD drive? That's because we spread the field! The playcalling was responsible for a great part of the o-line struggle.

The oline was responsible for the bad oline play. Raye only calls the plays, he cannot get out there and execute it for them.

There a lot more involved than just execution. When you line up in the I, the guys are gonna stack the box and it will be harder to block.

yeah it is all raye fault if he fails to make adjustments! If the D is getting constant pressure( which they did), then your start calling plays to get hill on the move or get frank running outside, which Raye failed to do! Yeha we won, yeha I'm happy, but this wont fly!!!

Its painfully obvious....Raye might know football, but he doesn't know play calling. Take that to the bank.

Yep. Sometimes you have to know when to fold em'. Our running game wasn't working and the dedication to the running game almost cost us. Raye and Sing need to learn that.

I don't think they were overdedicated to the run. They were just attempting to establish the run and get some kind of rythm. The only time I thought that we were overly dedicated to the run was at the end of the game when we were pushed back on our 2 yard-line and we ran the three run plays up the middle. But other than that I think you are all overreacting about the playcalling.

What about when we ran it 3 times in a row for a 3 and out and punt to the Cards and give them decent field position and they took the lead. We had momentum and completely gave it up and it almost cost us the game. I dont think I'm overreacting, I really think we were forcing the run.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fan49:
any way u look at it its not rayes fault, the line did play garbage. but also hills arm was not threatning at all so they just went out and tried to shut down gore. and they did. hill will hurt us later in the season due to his arm period.

Hill tested this team deep in the first half and tried later in the 3rd. What it seemed to me was that Hill tested the field and later found a rhythm in the underneath zones. Sure we might end up losing a few games but whether its due to Hill's arm I don't believe it at all, maybe decision making, yes, but because of his arm, I don't buy it.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for tohara3.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by joey82:
I don't know why I am bothering....

Look we haven't had a top 15 offense in half a decade. We weren't a top offense last year nor have we done anything this off season to reasonably believe that we would be a top offense again.

This is what we are going to do. Run the ball, not turn the ball over, avoid giving up the big play and win the game with our defense and special teams. If you don't like that I suggest following another team this season.

This isn't an offense that is going to score 35 points, and you are foolish if you expect that. If our offense doesn't turn the ball over and gives us 17-24 points a game we are going to be in good shape to win a lot of games this year.

We beat a team that went to the superbowl last year in their own house.

So relax and enjoy the win fellas. Stop being unreasonable expecting us to light up the scoreboard every week like the saints because it isn't happening.

People need to read this post and then read it three more times.

Very, very good post! I will be with this team on the edge of my couch every sunday cheering my a$$ off!
And proprs to JMo

Dude got open alot Hill needs to hit him
Joe Montana and Steve Young had some shtty games too...but in the end they won.

And no I'm not comparing Hill to either of them but bottom line is it doesnt matter how you win...as long as you win. I remember in 07 everyone hated on Smith after he pretty much single handedly won that game. Hill did the same thing today so he should deserve the same credit. Was it perfect? No. But did we win? Yes.

[ Edited by LambdaChi49 on Sep 13, 2009 at 17:48:42 ]

LOL,,,The Niners could win their 6th Super Bowl and the fans here would find a reason to complain about something....
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
FACT: Shaun Hill did not throw a single interception in this game, nor did he make a crappy throw that came even close to an INT, things looked horrible, but as usual they came together, and Shaun is the only starting QB in the NFC West this week that hasn't thrown an interception.

Despite his attempt to do so by throwing to guys with 3 red shirts around them. UGH!
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by 5xChamp:
Originally posted by btak49:
Baas may not be the answer at LG. He was getting his butt whooped!

It may be that he's alittle rusty?

also, the few plays i saw the G's had no chance. they shot the gap and where through it as the ball was snapped, they can not move fast enough. we need to implement hard counts, and change it up regularly.

Yeah you hit it right on the nail, Hill needs to get creative with that snap count. Dockett is known for getting a fast jumps and guessing the count alot. I hope Coach Sing fixes this problem fast!
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Joe Montana and Steve Young had some shtty games too...but in the end they won.

And no I'm not comparing Hill to either of them but bottom line is it doesnt matter how you win...as long as you win. I remember in 07 everyone hated on Smith after he pretty much single handedly won that game. Hill did the same thing today so he should deserve the same credit. Was it perfect? No. But did we win? Yes.

good edit job, my head was going to explode. i couldn't tell what you were doing.
Originally posted by Native49erFan:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
FACT: Shaun Hill did not throw a single interception in this game, nor did he make a crappy throw that came even close to an INT, things looked horrible, but as usual they came together, and Shaun is the only starting QB in the NFC West this week that hasn't thrown an interception.

Despite his attempt to do so by throwing to guys with 3 red shirts around them. UGH!

2 on the GW drive non the less
Share 49ersWebzone