There are 170 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why is everyone concerned w/Singletary & Raye's approach?

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm not worried about the passing game, I'm sure our offense will feature a lot of smashmouth, but we will throw the ball downfield as well, we have the weapons to develop an explosive passing game, our passing game will be more effective than people expect

How far downfield? 15 to 20 yards. That's what our QB is effective at.
MS's underlying coaching philosophy is to run and control the ball and time of possession, to make the QB position simply one of game management and of course to rely on a great defense to keep the other team from scoring much and to give the ball back to the offense so they can continue to grind out the clock.

If there are physical deficiencies, motivation and spiritual intervention will overcome them.

1. Running, ball control and all that relies on the OL dominating the defense. Does anyone see that happening against the better teams?

2. The QB will be required to operate in a system that is not fooling the defense. That is more, not less, difficult for the QB! There is huge pressure to complete that pass or punt. There will be blitzes.

3. With no pass rush and the inability to get off the field, will it be the 9ers who are controlling the clock and grinding it out? Likely it will be the opposition, having the lead and keeping the ball.

4. Can MS motivate NFL players to the extent that they can overcome any limitations that they or the system may have?

5. If the team does fall somewhat flat, and MS's system looks to be unrealistic, will he be given more seasons and more drafts to get a bunch of dominating players?

Or, will they just end it and go for someone who promises to put some points on the board?
I for one am tired of trying to find diamonds in the rough coaches
Coach Sing is good and all that but why is it that we always gotta be the team who experiments. Bring in a solid HC like Shanny or Holmgren who know what they are doing and are not afraid of big FA pick ups.

Personally regardless if coach Sing takes us to the friggin playoffs. Fire him and bring mike shanahan back home. With his offense scheme we can have 2- 1,000 rushers and he knows about QBs and so forth.

Lets bring back the niners to what they used to be instead of the crap we got now.
-
Concern basically stems from past history...several years of losing seasons, all of them preceded by a new system, coordinator, starting QB, or some other new variable that didn't work out very well. This year we also have a lot of new variables that will make or break the season.

[ Edited by djfullshred on Sep 11, 2009 at 14:47:22 ]
Originally posted by Delinquentwayz:
I for one am tired of trying to find diamonds in the rough coaches
Coach Sing is good and all that but why is it that we always gotta be the team who experiments. Bring in a solid HC like Shanny or Holmgren who know what they are doing and are not afraid of big FA pick ups.

Personally regardless if coach Sing takes us to the friggin playoffs. Fire him and bring mike shanahan back home. With his offense scheme we can have 2- 1,000 rushers and he knows about QBs and so forth.

Lets bring back the niners to what they used to be instead of the crap we got now.
-

Here's the problem with bringing in "hot" coaching candidates.

They rarely will take you the Superbowl. No HC has won the Superbowl with two different teams and only 5 HCs in the history of the NFL have ever taken two different teams to the SB.

What does that tell ya?

-9fA
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Its because:

(1) its not the tradition here in terms of the championship teams

(2) the fans don't have a trust factor with Raye given his history

(3) fans and media have misconstrued Singletary's early comment that he wanted to be able to run the ball when they had to and when the other team knew they were going to run.

(4) People get too wrapped up in the numbers. Does anyone really think they're going to run the ball 60% of the time? Raye can say that but at most 55% is probably a more realistic goal and if he had said 55/45 there probably would not be as much debate about it. But suppose they run 66 plays in a game: a 60/40 run-pass ratio would represent about 39-40 run/26-27 pass; a 55/45 ratio is about 36 run/30 pass so you're really talking about 3-4 plays per game.

(5) There's been a lot of bad offense around here. Like Singletary says, show me.
What did you guys do with all that lotto money cause you sure act like you know the future. Why dont we all relax watch the first damn game then put our two cents in wow.
IMHO, as tru 9er fans know . We are a team emphasized on the qb. Since raye came out and said we are a run based offense, most still write about our o line, hill a bit, and the rest of our defense. But within the same notion knowing that if we can't stretch the field then at some point the o is doomed. Hopefully hill regardless of arm strength will put TD's on the board. He does that and gore just may get over 1800+yds. Even tho I know he wants to try and top 2000;)

Regardless of opinions, playing the cards will determine how much better we really are. I don't care what anyone says, we don't produce and our d wins games for us, we are in for a loooooong season.

I got faith tho. Go niners with a less complicated offense;)
my own concern is when we fall behind in games, we will have no ability to get back in the game with our passing offense
Originally posted by HearstFan:
I think people are nervous and skeptical (including myself) for several reasons:

1. The Steelers and Cards made the superbowl as passing teams, beating the run dominant teams in the playoffs -- showing the vulnerability of run dominant teams in the big games.

Actually they both Got to the SB Running the ball.
Wille paker was the #1 rusher in the playoffs while edge was #2
  • rob28
  • Veteran
the niners are the type of team you can beat in the first half if you score a couple td's early. they wont be able to catch up because they dont have a qb and wr's that threaten anybody.
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
I personally think a team that can run but not pass won't go far, because it can't adjust.
Despite comments like "run 60 percent of the time," I think the coaching staff is ultimately aiming for balance and effectiveness in both the land and air attack.
We can win with a dominant run game but, hopefully, when we get to the playoffs, our passing game will have come of age to do what we need to do.