LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 229 users in the forums

Why is everyone concerned w/Singletary & Raye's approach?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The Steelers couldn't run the ball last night. I think they finished the game with less then 35 yards rushing. They won because Ben Rothlesburger threw for 363 yards. It's good to control the clock with a power running game offense. However, you MUST have the ability to pass the ball all over the field if you want to win championships. This is a passing league.
I'm not worried about the passing game, I'm sure our offense will feature a lot of smashmouth, but we will throw the ball downfield as well, we have the weapons to develop an explosive passing game, our passing game will be more effective than people expect
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
This team doesn't have a strong enough defense to be paired with a low scoring offense. I hope the 49ers surprise us all and run a more wide open offense then we expect.

We also don't have a good enough quarterback or consistent enough pass protection to be throwing the ball all over the field.

Then we should have traded for Cutler/Peppers/Suggs. Singletary/Scotty chose not to make major player additions to the team and will pay the price at the end of the season if we don't make the playoffs.

Hey, and then Jed can fire McCloughan and hire you as GM..

• SANDMAN
  • Info N/A
I think the problem with that is our defense has been known to give up points. If we give up touchdown drives and can't manage to score with our grind it out style, we are in big trouble. It's tough to come back from a ten point hole when you use ball control and field position to win games. With a high powered offense like Arizona in our division, we better get ready for a shootout.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
This team doesn't have a strong enough defense to be paired with a low scoring offense. I hope the 49ers surprise us all and run a more wide open offense then we expect.

We also don't have a good enough quarterback or consistent enough pass protection to be throwing the ball all over the field.

Then we should have traded for Cutler/Peppers/Suggs. Singletary/Scotty chose not to make major player additions to the team and will pay the price at the end of the season if we don't make the playoffs.

I don't think we had the proper pieces to trade for Cutler/Peppers/Suggs. Plus, Suggs signed an extension and wants to be with the Ravens. Peppers wanted to go elsewhere but got franchised.
Let's be honest that's not a sexy attitude and frankly we've had that attitude for the past 4 years now without any success.
The Steelers couldn't run the ball last night. I think they finished the game with less then 35 yards rushing. They won because Ben Rothlesburger threw for 363 yards. It's good to control the clock with a power running game offense. However, you MUST have the ability to pass the ball all over the field if you want to win championships. This is a passing league.

Yeah, but the Steelers won the SuperBowl last year coming out of the regular season as only the 22nd best offense in the NFL (in YPG) and 20th in scoring.

What they had last year was the #1 overall defense in the NFL.

Also, what the Steelers generally showed last night and last year is that making the right play at the right time can be more important than attaining a high statistical average. The Titans kicked their butt pretty much all game, but they are the team that went home dissapointed.

The 49ers are capable of this. Part of it is just believing that you can and will do it. This seems to me to be what Singletary is trying to instill.

[ Edited by Xestenz on Sep 11, 2009 at 09:41:56 ]
Put it simply: I do hope Frank Gore turns out to be a monster this year and that he breaks Dickerson's record. At the same time, I hope for our defense to make people forget about the 2000 Ravens or the 1985 Bears. I just don't think that's realistic.

I think both Singletary and Raye did not caught up with times and have a vision that would be very good in the 70s but in today's NFL, it does not amount to more than just a few good slogans.

[ Edited by Brazilian49er on Sep 11, 2009 at 10:39:23 ]
Pounding the ball all the time is fine, but what happens when we get down in a game? You can't run the ball all the time if you're down in the 4th quarter, down by 2 scores. Let's hope Singletary and Raye's style will work. I'll give it a chance. Anything can be better than what we had with Hostler and Martz's throwing happy ass.

The Steelers were ranked 23rd in rushing last year. They rely heavily on Big Ben using that pump fake and moving the chains.

• fanoe
  • Info N/A
because if you are down 24-3 in the second half, its hard to catch up with a run first mentality, a qb that cant throw deep, an offense that is satisfied with field goals instead of touchdowns, no pass rush and a soft, "bend & most of the time break" defense.

The niners are built to be conservative competitive team, but not a winning team.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'm not tripping. Haven't even seen the offense yet for real so I can't complain til there is something to complain about. honestly i don't care how they win just win.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Why am I concerned with the Sing/Raye approach?,

1. Sing has never done this before.
2. Raye has never done this WELL before.

Its not gonna be pretty, people.
  • Black59Razor
  • Info N/A
I still don't understand why everyone is so caught up with the "60-40, run to pass" mentality thing. Every team in the NFL has that mentality because at the end of the day if we are running more, we must be winning and controlling the clock. There's a lot of people in this forum who seem to think that come Sunday all we're gonna see is 60 straight HB gut plays. [/b]
Originally posted by Black59Razor:
I still don't understand why everyone is so caught up with the "60-40, run to pass" mentality thing. Every team in the NFL has that mentality because at the end of the day if we are running more, we must be winning and controlling the clock. There's a lot of people in this forum who seem to think that come Sunday all we're gonna see is 60 straight HB gut plays. [/b]

I think it's more of the reporters reporting this literally. Usually, reporters put their two sense into everything to create some controversy but in this case, they can create more controversy if they report it literally without mentioning that it's really no big deal and this is almost every teams' goal.
Share 49ersWebzone