LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 323 users in the forums

Singletary names VD offensive Captain (Full list of captains inside)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by kingairta:
It's a tool Coach is using to try to get the best out of Davis. It's classic. If it works like Coach thinks it will Davis will live upto his hype. If it doesn't work what's lost? Absolutely nothing.

Well, if you're going to name 6 captains, Frank Gore should be one of them. I don't think he's too pleased with that. So you have the risk of pissing off our real captain.

Just because your ego wouldn't let it slide doesn't mean Franks wouldn't. Like I said if he succeeds it's best for the team. If Davis fails what is lost? Absolutely nothing.

People are putting way too much into this team captian crud.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
It's a tool Coach is using to try to get the best out of Davis. It's classic. If it works like Coach thinks it will Davis will live upto his hype. If it doesn't work what's lost? Absolutely nothing.

Well, if you're going to name 6 captains, Frank Gore should be one of them. I don't think he's too pleased with that. So you have the risk of pissing off our real captain.

Just because your ego wouldn't let it slide doesn't mean Franks wouldn't. Like I said if he succeeds it's best for the team. If Davis fails what is lost? Absolutely nothing.

People are putting way too much into this team captian crud.

Like I said, a lot of players might take it personally that someone who has a temper and has been immature in the past is being named a captain, including Frank Gore. Is that not a lot to lose?

And my ego would let it slide. I'd play even harder and lead by example so maybe next year I can be named a captain. I'm just saying that if you're going to name captains, make sure you know what the hell you're doing, because I'd be pretty pissed if Vernon was named captain and I was on his team working my tail off and producing, while he's out there being called for dumb penalties and showboating after every 5-yard completion. I understand the logic behind making him captain. He might actually grow up because of it, but there's some risk there. We'll see what happens.

[ Edited by B650 on Sep 12, 2009 at 15:09:12 ]
Originally posted by popalpo:
Quote:
Ridiculous. Sing has bumbled almost every decision he has made so far. Way to show support for your starting QB, Sing. Hey, I'm sure Gore is also impressed that you are counting on him to lead this offense, yet think that an overrated, self-hyped, loudmouth, malcontent is the "real" leader. This is just so, "wanna be father figure and warm hearted tough guy." Quit trying to be an amateur psychologist and and try being a professional coach. The resentment will be thick in the locker room.
Quote:

You think that a man that has to manage grown millionaire men with egos from all different backgrounds, doesn't have to play psychologist? This is part of his job description! Everyone knows that gore is the leader of this team. Davis has all the potential in the world. Physically he overmatched any obstacle. Even his work ethic is as strong as anyone in the league. Which could be said the same for his passion fir the game! This could be a great way to bring out the mental focus which could be the only thing holding him back from meeting his true potential. On paper thus seems like a brilliant move.

Potential? We're still talking about his guys potential? Ummm, he is what he is. All Sing is doing now is disrespecting other players that have actually been GOOD pieces of this organization. All Sing has done is, effectively, told everybody within shouting distance that being a captain of the 49ers doesn't mean crap. He has told every future 49er that puts on that "C" for him that it is a cheap designation that only means something to players that he is trying to be a father figure to. He has disrespected every hard working professional in that locker room. Heck, I feel disrespected because I work my ass off watching this clown embarrass my franchise year after year. Where the heck is my "C", daddy?

Nolan's asinine "Captain for every position" was more logical and that was a tremendous joke. Spare me the "brilliant move" defense. Sing seems to be completely enamored with himself. He shuts out media access like some kind of paranoid book burner. He cheapens what should be important team designations out of some kind of selfish need. He disrespects our legacy as a franchise by trying to turn us into some third rate Chicago Bear spin off. I've had enough of him already. Get Shanny in here right now. Don't wait a game. Right freaking now. The joke is on us.

"I want winners!" was now obviously a contrived declaration made to get "Scotty" (boy, I can't stand referring to a grown man as that) and the media all moist over him. If he wanted winners, he wouldn't give the team loser the big "C."

I want a freaking coach

16 games.
Share 49ersWebzone