LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Singletary names VD offensive Captain (Full list of captains inside)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
I would've named Frank Gore captain.
To be honest, we all know who the leaders of this team are. It really doesn't matter if they have a "C" stitched to their uni. IE: Gore is the leader of the offense, yet he possesses no C. This is to give Vernon some responsibility and a project of Sing's to elevate VD's play. Let's just hope it works.
Singletary announced 6 team captains.

Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes, Eric Heitmann, Justin Smith, Michael Robinson, and.....Vernon Davis.

apparently VD has been working like crazy this offseason, and actually deserved it. im excited to see the new and improved VD this year. if Sing is impressed, we should see results.
I donk know about Davis but the others strike me as real leaders. But it does sound as though Vern has earned it

Wasn't Roman one of the captains last year?
  • carl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
To be honest, we all know who the leaders of this team are. It really doesn't matter if they have a "C" stitched to their uni. IE: Gore is the leader of the offense, yet he possesses no C. This is to give Vernon some responsibility and a project of Sing's to elevate VD's play. Let's just hope it works.

well said.
Ridiculous. Sing has bumbled almost every decision he has made so far. Way to show support for your starting QB, Sing. Hey, I'm sure Gore is also impressed that you are counting on him to lead this offense, yet think that an overrated, self-hyped, loudmouth, malcontent is the "real" leader. This is just so, "wanna be father figure and warm hearted tough guy." Quit trying to be an amateur psychologist and and try being a professional coach. The resentment will be thick in the locker room.

[ Edited by singfan on Sep 12, 2009 at 08:34:20 ]
Quote:
Ridiculous. Sing has bumbled almost every decision he has made so far. Way to show support for your starting QB, Sing. Hey, I'm sure Gore is also impressed that you are counting on him to lead this offense, yet think that an overrated, self-hyped, loudmouth, malcontent is the "real" leader. This is just so, "wanna be father figure and warm hearted tough guy." Quit trying to be an amateur psychologist and and try being a professional coach. The resentment will be thick in the locker room.
Quote:

You think that a man that has to manage grown millionaire men with egos from all different backgrounds, doesn't have to play psychologist? This is part of his job description! Everyone knows that gore is the leader of this team. Davis has all the potential in the world. Physically he overmatched any obstacle. Even his work ethic is as strong as anyone in the league. Which could be said the same for his passion fir the game! This could be a great way to bring out the mental focus which could be the only thing holding him back from meeting his true potential. On paper thus seems like a brilliant move.
Originally posted by singfan:

wow, way to blow this WAY out of proportion.

Hill and Gore have been team captains before. you think because they didnt get it this year, it means he doesnt like them anymore, or respect their work ethic? please. theyre grown men. if the way they play on the field is going to be affected by whether or not they were named a "team captain", then they werent mature enough to be one anyways.

he chose the 6 guys who he felt represented relentless hard work and physical toughness this offseason, which he is stressing on the whole team. VD said his goal was to become a team captain this year by improving himself greatly this offseason, and sing saw him literally step everything up all summer long and work for it. he isnt disrespecting gore or hill.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I think he is trying to get Davis to mature by making him a leader. When a person is a leader, they know they can't act as a child, because they are supposed to set an example for everyone else. So far, it appears to be working, however if VD does not live up to it, he could lead the team in the wrong direction. Let's hope this works.
because he wanted to see if we could make more threads about it than about Michael Crabtree. Almost there!

• krizay
  • Veteran

[ Edited by krizay on Sep 12, 2009 at 12:53:17 ]
It's a tool Coach is using to try to get the best out of Davis. It's classic. If it works like Coach thinks it will Davis will live upto his hype. If it doesn't work what's lost? Absolutely nothing.
Coach was a professional motivator. Making Davis a Captain is a tool to build him up. Give him some responsibility. It's a classic tool used to develop leaders/character. If it works Davis will live up to the hype. If he fails what will the team lose?

As for slighting Hill and Gore I bet you a sixpack that Coach talked to them and explained why and they are behind it 100%.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingairta:
It's a tool Coach is using to try to get the best out of Davis. It's classic. If it works like Coach thinks it will Davis will live upto his hype. If it doesn't work what's lost? Absolutely nothing.

Well, if you're going to name 6 captains, Frank Gore should be one of them. I don't think he's too pleased with that. So you have the risk of pissing off our real captain.
Originally posted by singfan:

ok singfan
Share 49ersWebzone