There are 250 users in the forums

(Updated)Diyral Briggs passes through waivers...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Collins is important on the practice squad right now because the 49ers do not want to work Bruce and Battle hard in every practice. That leaves only Hill, Morgan and Spurlock to run routes. With Zeigler out with an ankle sprain, that leaves Collins as the only other receiver for practice time.

Remember, it isn't just training camp that needs extra players. In season practices need extras as well to keep the starters fresh.

You don't really need to have a full practice squad so he's not really a "placeholder", but Collins can be the tackling dummy on the scout team.

No my point was that the 49ers need extra receivers to run drills.

Bruce won't practice everyday, or at least not a full practice because they are saving him for games. Battle has an arthritic knee that flares up on over-use.

That leaves Morgan, Hill and Spurlock as the only healthy receivers for practice. So Collins, and Zeigler when his ankle heals, are there to spread the work load for practice.

Practice squads are not just places to stash players you want to save for the future. They are extra players whose sole job it is to give relief for the regular roster. Most practice squad players never make a game day roster.

That is what Collins may be since Zeigler has an ankle sprain that may takes several weeks to heal. Once Zeigler is healthy, Collins may be cut. That kind of thing happens every year on every team.
Brit Miller for starting FB!

Sheets for backup RB (after he learns how to block)!

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
The only one I don't get is Dobson Collins? Did we see anything out of him in the preseason? I know Maurice Price even had that 33 yard catch. http://www.49ers.com/team/roster/Dobson-Collins/a452de10-29c2-42ff-bdee-97edf8fab393

I guess he has some potential but you think we could have used that on another position not so stacked.

Okay, well how bout Zeigler? You think that we could have let him go since he's on(what I think) his final year as PS eligible? We have MORE THAN ENOUGH players at that position. And should Crabs finally pull his head out of his rectum, +1. I think that we could and SHOULD have moved on from the Zeigler follies. He may or may not be solid, but personally I think that PS spots should be filled with guys that have more potential to MAKE the team. Of course this kinda fits Collins as well but I would like to see Zeigler catch on with SOMEBODY rather than spend the rest of his short career on any PS. And that includes ours.

~Ceadder

Collins is important on the practice squad right now because the 49ers do not want to work Bruce and Battle hard in every practice. That leaves only Hill, Morgan and Spurlock to run routes. With Zeigler out with an ankle sprain, that leaves Collins as the only other receiver for practice time.

Remember, it isn't just training camp that needs extra players. In season practices need extras as well to keep the starters fresh.

I understand what a Practice Squad is.

But again do we need TWO players that fill the WR role? It's not like someone else like Miller can't fill that role in practice. So keeping Zeigler is a waste of time imho. We could have filled his spot with someone else of left it open in the even that Crabs had Rectacranial Inversion Therapy and signs the offer.

~Ceadder
On the surface, keeping two WR's on the PS might seem like overkill...but, when you consider that Crabtree may not ever see the field, it makes more sense. Dobson made steady progress, and they see more potential in him than some of the others. Zeigler made sense because the man can flat-out catch. He's not the all-around WR they'll keep on the active roster at this point, hence back on the PS. Just like with RB's, catching the ball isn't enough. You've got to be able to block as well, particularly in a run-first offense.

As for Briggs, he could be a sleeper guy...he played at Bowling Green, not exactly a football mecca, but the guy's got skills. He needs to get a little stronger, then he could really turn into a beast.
Share 49ersWebzone