LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

In Your Opinion, How Do We Look in the Trenches? (O-line and D-line)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9erThrowBack
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by PTulini:
I also think the combination of Kentwan Balmer and Ricky-Jean Francois could prove to be a good combination for us in the near future. I like the 49ers Defensive Line rotation.

Most every time I saw RJF in a game, he was getting double-teamed. I asked myself what opposing teams knew that some folks on this board didn't.

Balmer looked a lot better than last year, but occasionally inconsistent/raw. I think it's a matter of discipline; he needs to learn to control his space, do his assignment, and not let himself get suckered out of position. But he seems to have the strength, speed, and reaction parts down pretty good, at least for a one-year DL.
  • 9erThrowBack
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Xestenz:
I predict 5 guys on one side and 4 guys on the other.

That's the way it will look.

I predict 5 guys on one side and 3 guys on the other....

[ Edited by 9erThrowBack on Sep 8, 2009 at 18:34:28 ]
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
The immediate responses state the obvious:

We are exactly the same team as last year.

We can run block and stop the run with the best of them.

But we can't pass block well enough to make up for our lack of playmakers at the QB or receiving positions in order to execute big plays and/or on third and medium to long consistently.

So, drives that should have been field goals will be punts, and drives that should have been TDs will be FGs, meaning we will let teams we otherwise should be dominating hang around in games until they make a big play or two.

Which they will do, because on the other side of the ball, we don't have the pass rush to stop 3rd and long or any other big plays. So, even if we dominate total yards, rushing yards, TOP, and even turnovers, all the "important" stats, (other than points scored), we will end up losing or winning very close games because the other teams will get the big plays they need.

Especially the way the refs seem to be focused on calling PI on every play where a defender even looks at a WR. If the QBs have all day to throw the ball downfield because we can't put any pressure on them, our secondary will get burned by either big catches or big PI calls a half dozen times a game and it will likely be the difference in our opponent's ability to score.

Until we have better pass protection and pressure on the QB we will continue to struggle with key 3rd down plays on both sides of the ball.

Total Agreement ...good stuff Texas

The offensive linemen I expect to have a breakout 2009 NFL season is...

Quote:
WHAT OTHERS SAY: USC head coach Pete Carroll: "No doubt that Chilo has a chance to be a great football player. He has all the necessary attributes to become a dominating one-the right attitude, the right work habits, the right physical skills. He has quick feet for being such a big man and he also has tremendous explosiveness. I think he'll be one of those players who just keeps getting better and better. I like his fierce determination. He knows what he wants and he's working to reach that goal. There's no reason why he can't."

• dmatt
  • Veteran
both sides of the ball
run good, pass bad.
Originally posted by 9erThrowBack:
Originally posted by Xestenz:
I predict 5 guys on one side and 4 guys on the other.

That's the way it will look.

I predict 5 guys on one side and 3 guys on the other....

Hair splitter...

Of course, there will typically be 4 guys covering the opposing 5. We can call one a 'linebacker' but only in long yardage situations would we truly rush only 3...
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
The immediate responses state the obvious:

We are exactly the same team as last year.

We can run block and stop the run with the best of them.

But we can't pass block well enough to make up for our lack of playmakers at the QB or receiving positions in order to execute big plays and/or on third and medium to long consistently.

So, drives that should have been field goals will be punts, and drives that should have been TDs will be FGs, meaning we will let teams we otherwise should be dominating hang around in games until they make a big play or two.

Which they will do, because on the other side of the ball, we don't have the pass rush to stop 3rd and long or any other big plays. So, even if we dominate total yards, rushing yards, TOP, and even turnovers, all the "important" stats, (other than points scored), we will end up losing or winning very close games because the other teams will get the big plays they need.

Especially the way the refs seem to be focused on calling PI on every play where a defender even looks at a WR. If the QBs have all day to throw the ball downfield because we can't put any pressure on them, our secondary will get burned by either big catches or big PI calls a half dozen times a game and it will likely be the difference in our opponent's ability to score.

Until we have better pass protection and pressure on the QB we will continue to struggle with key 3rd down plays on both sides of the ball.

Post of the year. Dude are you near San Antonio?

Well, it just depends on your definition of "near". I'm in Austin, so I'm not that far (especially by Texas standards). And I'm having a few people over (a fellow zoner who is a good friend and a couple of zoners I don't know who are UT students) over for the first game. So, if you feel like talking a little drive, you'd be more than welcome.
Share 49ersWebzone