There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

In Your Opinion, How Do We Look in the Trenches? (O-line and D-line)

The old saying goes... "Games are won and lost in the trenches." At this point, How do the 49ers shape up right now?

I know we haven't played any meaningful games yet, but I do feel good about our depth on both sides of the football.

What are your thoughts?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Seems like both sides are good when running is involved, pass blocking and pass rushing could stand some improvement.
OL:
Run blocking - above average
Pass blocking - below average
Short yardage/goal line - way below average

DL:
Run defense - slightly above average
Pass rush - average (thanks to Smith)
Playing on the other side of the LOS - below average

Season Prediction: 7-9 or 8-8
I think going into the season its the same old story.

Pass Blocking needs work
Run Blocking is the offense's strength

Pass Rush is almost nonexistent
Run Defense is solid
Originally posted by BobS:
Seems like both sides are good when running is involved, pass blocking and pass rushing could stand some improvement.

Agreed.
I feel our Dline has improved over the last two games, or at least looked better. We seem to be having some serious Oline issues still, which is worrisome. I think we have given up 3-4 sacks per game, which if carried over to the regular season, would equate to 50+ sacks...
Originally posted by NCommand:
OL:
Run blocking - above average
Pass blocking - below average

DL:
Run defense - slightly above average
Pass rush - average (thanks to Smith)
Playing on the other side of the LOS - below average

Season Prediction: 7-9 or 8-8

I actually think our offensive line will be much improved in short yardage and goal line situations this year. That appeared to be one of Coach Singletary's primary focuses this off-season.

[ Edited by PTulini on Sep 7, 2009 at 21:37:00 ]
I also think the combination of Kentwan Balmer and Ricky-Jean Francois could prove to be a good combination for us in the near future. I like the 49ers Defensive Line rotation.

[ Edited by PTulini on Sep 7, 2009 at 22:06:40 ]
I like our offensive line a lot. the ol in preseason had sims at rt and baas was out. with snyder and baas our ol should be good and i like our depth with pashos signing.
Originally posted by PTulini:
I also think the combination of Kentwan Balmer and Ricky-Jean Francois could prove to be a good combination for us in the near future. I like the 49ers Defensive Line rotation.

I really like those two guys on our defensive line. The O-line I think will become better in pass protection & short yardage as they get time to play & gel. Our lines could become driving force of this team.
Imo our Run O is decent, our run D is decent. Every other aspect our lines suck.
  • 9erfaninSydney
  • Info N/A
As long as Barry Sims is not playing our o-line is solid.
Starting w/OL, I'd say we're looking pretty good. The group of Staley - Baas - Heitmann - Rachal - Snyder is a good one. In Wragge and Wallace, you've got two guys who can play C and OG. While I'm not much of a Sims fan, he can play both LT and RT. Pashos signing was huge...the guy's very solid and is an excellent OL addition.

On the DL, I think the infusion of Evans and RJF will pay dividends. DE was very solid for the 'Skins...no reason to think he'll be otherwise with us. I like RJF's youthful enthusiasm and athleticism. I've had many LSU fans say he's really a diamond in the rough. I'm expecting Balmer to emerge...he should make a discernible impact on the DL this year. Franklin & Sopoaga aren't the long-term answer at NT, but collectively they should do a serviceable job. Justin Smith is the dude...and with more help, he should be even more effective. McDonald's a bit of a mystery...if 100%, he's a player, but I'm not sure he's really close to that after the 2nd surgery on the same knee.
allot of you reaching for the stars. our o-line is still suspect. they will have their moments. same with the d-line. i still see only 1 pass rusher & thats smith.
Originally posted by PTulini:

Rotation sounds cool but they need a dominant player and not just a bunch of average bodies. Too early to tell how either will pan out but I hope Balmer plays well enough to take the job from Soap.

The o line just hans't shwon that they can get that short yardage or goal line type of push. Hopefully this part of the o line has been improved. the run blocking definitely impressed during pre season.