LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

The positive thinking Niner Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Interesting thread...

The self proclaimed realists need to remember something. Your perception of reality is not the correct perception. It's simply yours.

Reality is simply what you choose to believe. There is no right or wrong. Each person's reality is what is right for them.

Of course, we all have the freedom to choose what we believe. We have the freedom to choose to see the positive side, or the negative side in any situation. There is no correct side, or real side, because each person's perceprion is different.

Think back to before the start of the season two years ago. How many crazy optimists were predicting the Giants would have the run they had? Let alone end up beating a team in the Superbowl, that up until that point was undefeated.

"Realists" would have told them to take off the Blue colored glasses... You know, optimism is fine, but that was just "unrealistic". Eli Manning was a bum, and the only reason he was picked number 1 was because of his brothers name. Blah, blah, blah, blah. What a slap in the face that season must have been to the "realists" who knew better.

Your opinion, your beliefs, and your reality are your own. You have every right to make all of your choices about how you view things accordingly. However, your reality, does not have to be someone else's reality.

Some of us prefer to see the bright side of life. Some see challenges as problems, and some see challenges as opportunites. Given the choice, I'm glad to live on the positive side. While those around me b***h about their lives, their wives, their jobs, and their team, I smile and move forward. Always looking for the next opportunity to get better, and grow.

The 49ers have alot of challenges ahead of them. They probably don't have all the players they would like to have, at every position. There are other teams that have had better success with the players on their roster than the 49ers have had with theirs. Their is a new offensive system again. A new head coach...

There is also alot of opportunity for growth for the team too. There is much to be excitied about. Frank Gore is healthy and the coaches plan to ride him. Coffee looks to be a solid backup. Vernon Davis is going to get an opportunity to break out. Singletary appears to have put a fighter mentality into the team.

I can't say that I expect to win every game. I know that I will certainly cheer for the team to win every game.

You can choose to think negatively or positively before every game. Personally I enjoy a game much more when I'm not pouting, or complaing how bad we are going to get beat, before the game even starts. But hey, to each their own.
Originally posted by 49erFan:
Interesting thread...

The self proclaimed realists need to remember something. Your perception of reality is not the correct perception. It's simply yours.

Reality is simply what you choose to believe. There is no right or wrong. Each person's reality is what is right for them.

Of course, we all have the freedom to choose what we believe. We have the freedom to choose to see the positive side, or the negative side in any situation. There is no correct side, or real side, because each person's perceprion is different.

Think back to before the start of the season two years ago. How many crazy optimists were predicting the Giants would have the run they had? Let alone end up beating a team in the Superbowl, that up until that point was undefeated.

"Realists" would have told them to take off the Blue colored glasses... You know, optimism is fine, but that was just "unrealistic". Eli Manning was a bum, and the only reason he was picked number 1 was because of his brothers name. Blah, blah, blah, blah. What a slap in the face that season must have been to the "realists" who knew better.

Your opinion, your beliefs, and your reality are your own. You have every right to make all of your choices about how you view things accordingly. However, your reality, does not have to be someone else's reality.

Some of us prefer to see the bright side of life. Some see challenges as problems, and some see challenges as opportunites. Given the choice, I'm glad to live on the positive side. While those around me b***h about their lives, their wives, their jobs, and their team, I smile and move forward. Always looking for the next opportunity to get better, and grow.

The 49ers have alot of challenges ahead of them. They probably don't have all the players they would like to have, at every position. There are other teams that have had better success with the players on their roster than the 49ers have had with theirs. Their is a new offensive system again. A new head coach...

There is also alot of opportunity for growth for the team too. There is much to be excitied about. Frank Gore is healthy and the coaches plan to ride him. Coffee looks to be a solid backup. Vernon Davis is going to get an opportunity to break out. Singletary appears to have put a fighter mentality into the team.

I can't say that I expect to win every game. I know that I will certainly cheer for the team to win every game.

You can choose to think negatively or positively before every game. Personally I enjoy a game much more when I'm not pouting, or complaing how bad we are going to get beat, before the game even starts. But hey, to each their own.

Interesting thread...

• whole49yards
  • Info N/A
I don't know it looks kinda bad, we just can't because of a Qb with a rating of what--85-87. Can't do it, can play with em , can't win with em, can't coach em.

Wait, let me get my stats out,--just a second -- there here someplace....
Well believe you me, we don't got a chance. I mean I've seen this team when it was good, I mean they won, I--HMMMmm. never mind.

I love this team and can't wait for the battles ahead--GO NINERS!!!
I love this coach, and He is going to make this team winners.

Sorry for the enthusiasm, and blind faith--but it works for me..
Interesting thread...

So let me get this straight. When I see Alex Smith over throw a receiver, hold on to the ball until he gets sacked - Or - when I see what seems to be a Pass Rush and it's NOT working .. It's only my perception of what's actually happening? And IF Kurt Warner happens to throw for over 200 yards against the 49er's this weekend ... that's only going to be in my imagination?

And if they happen to beat the Cards ... that would also be unrealistic and would only be my perception of how the game went.

Hmmmm? Whadayaknow? I'm seeing things! I hope I'm not the only one!

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Sep 9, 2009 at 00:58:33 ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Interesting thread...

So let me get this straight. When I see Alex Smith over throw a receiver, hold on to the ball until he gets sacked - Or - when I see what seems to be a Pass Rush and it's NOT working .. It's only my perception of what's actually happening? And IF Kurt Warner happens to throw for over 200 yards against the 49er's this weekend ... that's only going to be in my imagination?

And if they happen to beat the Cards ... that would also be unrealistic and would only be my perception of how the game went.

His post was great except for that one line.

Stop focusing on the negative!
There is some confusion as to what is non-beneficial "negativity."

Phrasing and parlance plays a big part in the perception of "negative" vs "positive."

Person A might say, "We suck, we are going to lose AGAIN. We are not talented enough and there is nothing coach 'positive' can do about it. This sucks."

Person B might say, "I don't think our players are as good as the other teams players, its going to be tough to win this year. I hope I'm wrong."

The first person throws insults at the team, and acts openly as an antagonistic agent.
He is attaching unnecessary negativity to a statement he believes to be true.

The second person is simply stating his opinion. He does not embitter his statement with gratuitous negativity.

Many on this board appreciate having the freedom to openly state their opinion as to the status of their team.
Others instigate inflammatory responses to "negativity" in general, because of their gratuitously negative posts, exacerbating the appearance of an overtly negative atmosphere on the board in general.

This poster tried to create this thread to address the issue of gratuitous negativity I believe.

He was not suggesting that, "nobody should say what they think if it is negative."

Sometimes, emotions go overboard. And people will attack another poster for being too positive or negative.

If you say, "Nate Davis looks GREAT." You will get a response about your apparent excess positivity.
Likewise, if you say, "We looked HORRIBLE in the preseason," you will get a response about excess negativity.

Neither poster should be afraid to post adjectives, but they should both be aware that the words they use will be interpreted in a literal context.

To some, the word, "GREAT" will mean, "a Hall-of-Fame bound player."
To some, the word, "HORRIBLE" will mean, "the worst team in the league."

Although I agree that there is too much excess "negativity" on the board in general, certain words should not be interpreted as pejoratives for an "unrealistic" fan.

In other words, when people use the words above, they are mostly expressing EMOTION. They are not writing a legal document.

A certain amount of leeway needs to be allowed.

If I say, "Nate Davis looked great," it doesn't mean I think he is the next Joe Montana.
If I say, "Balmer looked good," it doesn't mean I think he will be an All-Pro.
If I say, "The play calling was horrible," it doesn't mean I think we will lose all our games.

The inflammatory posts are created because of an overreaction to simple emotional posts.
They represent a certain frustration in general, which is then directed towards whomever is perceived of as being "unrealistic."

Those who are deemed "unrealistic," whether negative or positive, are attacked.

The truth is that, most of the time, they are just being emotional.

Frustration attacks excitement, and excitement attacks frustration. Some people destroy themselves by going back and forth like this with their own inner dialogue. It can create depression.

For the sake of the board, please, lets not depress ourselves, and just enjoy the season.

Everybody, although some may not perceive it that way, enjoys watching the team and wants them to win.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Interesting thread...

It seems in your attempt to use sarcasm you missed the point.

Let's use the first pre-season game as an example. Some posters saw Alex overthrow Morgan. Some posters saw Morgan miss a catch he should have made(albeit not perfectly placed). Either side can "claim" their position is correct, however, it only has to be correct for them, not anyone else...

As for the "seeing things" comment... I didn't claim anyone was seeing things, so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

To further clarify my point for you, I'll use another example.

Two people with the exact same set of circumstances lose their job they have had for 10 years.

One says, "this sucks, I didn't like this job but I don't know anything else, I'll never get another job." He ends up becoming depressed, on medication, and not actively looking for work.

The other says, "this sucks, but I didn't like this job anyway. At least now I can have the time to go look for a job I'll be happier in". He ends up actively looking for work, or perhaps into schooling for a new line of work.

One person saw an impossiblby horrible situation, the other saw an opportunity for something better.

Are ya with me now?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Person A might say, "We suck, we are going to lose AGAIN. We are not talented enough and there is nothing coach 'positive' can do about it. This sucks."

Person B might say, "I don't think our players are as good as the other teams players, its going to be tough to win this year. I hope I'm wrong."

Here again, is a great example of what I was trying to get across.

Person A, expects to lose.

Person B, recognizes it will be tough to win, but expresses hope.

It's about perception. We are all entitled to percieve an upcoming game or the season anyway we wish. Anyone claiming themselves to be a realist, well... that again, is just their own perception.
  • whole49yards
  • Info N/A
Well said 49erfan.

But I just want to cheer for my team. I feel as though I have learned more than I need to know and now am stuck with having learned something I will probably never use.

Blissfully unaware--thats my moto!

Aloha, and GO NINERS!!!

• zero
  • Veteran
Whisenhunt says nobody in the league has done as well covering Larry Fitzgerald as 49ers CB Nate Clements.

This from MM's twitter

All that comes to mind is this

funny
Interesting, I'm watching the new America's Game ep of the 2008 Steelers and I just heard Tomlin say to this to his players in the locker room before the start of Superbowl XLIII:

"We won't play perfect, we'll play PHYSICAL."

Actually... in a ways our team IS IDENTICAL to the Steelers before they landed Roelsberger. -I.e. run-based team (with an established runner, journeyman QB, and wide-receivers on the fringe) with an old-school/stoic coach (Cowher), and a defense searching for an identity that managed to get to the playoffs for numerous years in a mediocre division (NFC NORTH).

Originally posted by zero:
Whisenhunt says nobody in the league has done as well covering Larry Fitzgerald as 49ers CB Nate Clements.

As much as Nate's performances have been mediocre, he's actually been able to shut Boldin/Fitz down like nobody else in the league. -As the Whise said, it comes from familiarity.

-If you cross out the JTO turnover fest in week one of 2008, every 49ers/Cards game has been close for over the past 3-4 years, and Fitz hasn't had a signature 'beat-down' on us yet which establishes/separates which team is the worst. -I'm talking the types of games the 49ers had against the Falcons in the late 80's to mid 90's where Jerry Rice would average 3 TDs per meeting.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 9, 2009 at 19:02:59 ]
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
knbr at 8pm-9pm pac time tonight (wed.),The 49ers Insiders show,with game announcer Ted Robinson.

www.knbr.com
Playoffs...then Division title.

Go Niners
Share 49ersWebzone