LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 146 users in the forums

The positive thinking Niner Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by BobS:
Why does a person get ripped in here for being realistic? Someone who "expects" that this current team win every game they play is unrealistic. From 1981 till Lawrence Phillips lack of blocking skills let Steve Young get his final concussion,
I thought the 49ers could win every game they played and they were capable of winning against any opponent. This group is going to be over matched many a time this year, realizing this and realizing this team's many short comings does not make a person any less of a fan than the guy who predicts Super Bowl every year.

So, Bob, how will you approach the Monday night game? Will you even watch it? The Cards ARE better than us so it's not worth watching, right? I assume you are a realist and therefore, assume that you expect the Niners to lose to the Cards on Monday, because that's a realistic thought process. I'm I not right?

And I'm not ripping you. I'm just interest in a honest reply. You or any other realist may answer this question.

I wish the game was on Monday night, but its not....

The second one is...
As fans, I would assume we would all WANT our team to win every game. Is that realistic to think or hope??? Maybe... Possibly, Possibly not.

Nobody expected the Miami Dolphins to go 11-5 last year after going 1-15 the year before that. The Detroit Lions went winless last season 0-16, does that mean Detroit fans should not even hope or expect to win at least one game?

The fact is, no matter how talented or untalented a team is, any given sunday, teams play to win. Fans cheer and root for their teams hoping they'll win. Some people expect their team to win.

Hearing some of you "realists" expecting our team to lose and fail miserably is kind of pathetic. I don't care if you've been around during the Montana days or Steve Young era, or any era, fans have the right to cheer and hope that their team suceeds. The negativity coming from some of you "realists" makes me think some of you root AGAINST the 49ers on sundays. Don't claim to be a realist if you're really a pessimist.
all of you people that think this team will fail will be eating some serious crow when the season ends! And i bet half of you negative thinkers will say oh i believed in this team all along....why is there so many haters on here hating just because i posted a positive thread? you don't have to post a response after all this thread is for the positive thinkers.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I have watched every game in the last 15 years except one I missed, the mid December 2006 game which was Alex Smith's finest hour against the Seahawks.
I was 2600 miles from home in a hotel room that didn't have NFL network and the local sports bar was closed for the night. I was going crazy catching the updates on ESPN. I say the watching streak was 15 years because I think that's how far back sport's bars covered all the games, I have had NFL package ever since it's inception.
I don't go anywhere other than formal events with out my 49er hat even during the 2-14 seasons. I once lost my a 49er hat on a roller coaster at Magic Mountain and did not do another thing until I found a gift shop selling another one.
Been a fan since the early 70's and dealt with the frustrations of the Rams dominating the division, and the play-offs losses the few times we did get there. Then the catch and the run of greatness 10 or more wins 17 straight seasons if you neglect the strike year. I still follow the team, watch every game, and get upset at losses like I did many years ago. Lowering my expectations has taken away the depression of losses, used to be if the team lost I would not watch any sports programs or listen to any until the next game. Back in the Montana & Young era I would not recover from losing in the play-offs until well after the Super Bowl. I expected the team to win every game it played. Anyone who has high expectations in this era is bound to be in for a disappointment. I have just changed mine. I expect wins when playing poor teams. Against above average teams I expect to at least have a fighting chance to the end. Against the elite teams I just hope we don't get embarrassed. Out of this current team I want to see signs of improvement in the weak areas even if they don't result in victories. I always bagged on those that made excuses for Alex Smith, but always retained hope that he would show improvement, and was very disappointed that he hasn't yet. I am realistic, I hope some day soon I am back to expecting victory in every game again like I used to in the days this team dominated the NFL.

[ Edited by BobS on Sep 7, 2009 at 21:15:44 ]
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Why does a person get ripped in here for being realistic? Someone who "expects" that this current team win every game they play is unrealistic. From 1981 till Lawrence Phillips lack of blocking skills let Steve Young get his final concussion,
I thought the 49ers could win every game they played and they were capable of winning against any opponent. This group is going to be over matched many a time this year, realizing this and realizing this team's many short comings does not make a person any less of a fan than the guy who predicts Super Bowl every year.

So, Bob, how will you approach the Monday night game? Will you even watch it? The Cards ARE better than us so it's not worth watching, right? I assume you are a realist and therefore, assume that you expect the Niners to lose to the Cards on Monday, because that's a realistic thought process. I'm I not right?

And I'm not ripping you. I'm just interest in a honest reply. You or any other realist may answer this question.

I wish the game was on Monday night, but its not....

My bad. Thinking about last season.
I have watched every game in the last 15 years except one I missed, the mid December 2006 game which was Alex Smith's finest hour against the Seahawks.
I was 2600 miles from home in a hotel room that didn't have NFL network and the local sports bar was closed for the night. I was going crazy catching the updates on ESPN. I say the watching streak was 15 years because I think that's how far back sport's bars covered all the games, I have had NFL package ever since it's inception.
I don't go anywhere other than formal events with out my 49er hat even during the 2-14 seasons. I once lost my a 49er hat on a roller coaster at Magic Mountain and did not do another thing until I found a gift shop selling another one.
Been a fan since the early 70's and dealt with the frustrations of the Rams dominating the division, and the play-offs losses the few times we did get there. Then the catch and the run of greatness 10 or more wins 17 straight seasons if you neglect the strike year. I still follow the team, watch every game, and get upset at losses like I did many years ago. Lowering my expectations has taken away the depression of losses, used to be if the team lost I would not watch any sports programs or listen to any until the next game. Back in the Montana & Young era I would not recover from losing in the play-offs until well after the Super Bowl. I expected the team to win every game it played. Anyone who has high expectations in this era is bound to be in for a disappointment. I have just changed mine. I expect wins when playing poor teams. Against above average teams I expect to at least have a fighting chance to the end. Against the elite teams I just hope we don't get embarrassed. Out of this current team I want to see signs of improvement in the weak areas even if they don't result in victories. I always bagged on those that made excuses for Alex Smith, but always retained hope that he would show improvement, and was very disappointed that he hasn't yet. I am realistic, I hope some day soon I am back to expecting victory in every game again like I used to in the days this team dominated the NFL.

Thanks, Bob. Glad to have you on board.
Enough of the preaching. As for myself, I hope sing work the kinks out and what ever happens this season, I would hope the Organization address our needs properly in the off season, THIS time. Amen

God bless the 49ers and the Fans.
  • derelict
  • Info N/A
First post here. Go NINERS!!! As for all the drama this is my take: What is really important is which jersey "I only own 2" should I wear to the Niner/Rams game October 4th....Young-8 or Norton-51?
Originally posted by derelict:
First post here. Go NINERS!!! As for all the drama this is my take: What is really important is which jersey "I only own 2" should I wear to the Niner/Rams game October 4th....Young-8 or Norton-51?

welcome to the 'zone!

I would go with the Young. You might also be able to find a Crabtree jersey for super cheap by then.

Young is more sure classic, but Norton's is more unique. You might be the only one in the stadium to sport that.

Young baby! Young!
Myself, I would wear the Young jersey. He was always one of my favorite players.
My red ruby pumps have been clicked hard and rose colored glasses are firmly in place. Ahem. The 9ers are going 16-0 and are going to achieve what the low rent Pats couldn't do 2 years ago. Win the Superbowl. Book it. Now if you'll excuse me the people who give me my meds are here.
I admit to being a realist. I want my team to always win but I realize that on any given sunday or monday that they may come up short. I do expect that my 49ERS will at least be in most games to the end. I realistically expect the team to go 7-9 or 8-8.

But here is my positive twist ...... we are starting the regular season 0-0 ...... no losses so far.

I will be happier with each additional win we acquire beyond my expectations ...... but will the optimists still remain calm after any losses we may incur. ??????

Here's to the team going 16-0 ...... may we all be able to deal with anything in between. GO NINERS.
THIS THREAD IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE, WHY WE WILL BE A BAD TEAM? Thread.

Worst Thread EVER.
Share 49ersWebzone