There are 186 users in the forums

Trade?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by ddc58:
You mean you'd like the niners to get ripped off just like that raiders always do? If the NFL had a trade veto rule like in fantasy, then all of the raiders trades would get vetoed!

First the Raiders give, yes give, Randy Moss to the Patriots for...was it a 4th or 6th round pick? And then they trade their 1st (yet another for the Pats) to the Patriots for a guy in his contract year (read: rental)? How stupid are these people?

hey bro....we traded our second best receiver of all time (stat wise) and our huge playmaker (where as Randay wasn't making plays in Oakland)....also a player that helped our running game......all for a 5th round pick and Brandon Whiting.

some can think T.O. was bad for the team....well Moss quit on the Raiders...and atleast T.O. was still making plays, even though Jeff was his QB.

Jeez....

I'm SOOOOOOO sick of this one.

You make it sound like the were no special circumstances surrounding that one. You are leaving out the fact that TO was supposed to be a free agent, had filed a grievance with the league to be declared a free agent after the Niners traded to Baltimore him for a second round pick, and the NFL was afraid he would win the grievance which would open pandoras box with the CBA.

The NFL ASKED THE 49ERS AND EAGLES TO WORK OUT A DEAL BEFORE A DECISION COULD BE REACHED BY THE ARBITRATOR SO THE 49ERS LOST ALMOST ALL LEVERAGE.

THATS why the Niners ended up with so little. In actuality tho, they should have gotten NOTHING in return because TO was supposed to be a free agent.

LET....IT...GO...

oh I know...It was an imbarresment to the 49ers F.O. and I was laughing my arse off for the FO got what they deserved for trying to be slick...

I was just trying to let that other poster know that we f'd up on a trade as well....but more so we put our selves in a f'd up situation...

It shouldn't have came down to us trying to trade T.O.... we should have extended his contract when we had a chance....but that is for another thread....

the 49ers underestimated T.O.'s value to the team.....so, imo we handled it wrong.

Al Davis has said that he did not want to trade Randy for a 4th round pick...but that Lane Kifffin felt he couldn't work things out with Randy and that they would be fine without him....Al has said he regrets caving in for his coach.

again...imo, the Raiders underestimated Moss' *potential* value to the team... I think if they would have been alittle more patient, things could have worked out.

actually the problem with that whole scenario was that whiting was injured the previous year, so if we took him, gave him a physical, and he did not pass, then we could have sent back whiting and the 5th round pick and gotten a 3rd round pick in that draft.

so while there were a lot of special circumstances and all, the management completely blew it by taking the 5th and whiting instead of the 3rd. that is what is messed up about the value we would have gotten.

not to mention that had we lost TO via free agency we would almost certainly have gotten a 3rd at worst 4th in compensatory. but that ridiculous trade made it certain that we lost any chance of the compensatory.
and almost every analyst and football fan would agree that the patriots got the much better end of this trade. i for one am glad that we did not get seymour in this trade.
i'd rather not trade a 1st for a guy in his contract yr, rather build thru the draft, get Ndamukong Suh or Cody with one of our 1st's, there younger, and bigger.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Yah...our GM needs to be scrutnized.

How come we were willing to spend $80 million on a proven CB (nate clements), but we don't spend the money to find a proven franchise QB.

I rather find a CB from the draft, and trade/sign for a proven QB that can take this franchise to the next level. i.e. cutler

Couldn't of stated it better myself.
Originally posted by Johnster:

How come we were willing to spend $80 million on a proven CB (nate clements), but we don't spend the money to find a proven franchise QB.

I rather find a CB from the draft, and trade/sign for a proven QB that can take this franchise to the next level. i.e. cutler

X2
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

X2

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

X2

x4
NE got the better deal there. They are going to get a top 5 pick and a young player.
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

X2

x4
xINFINITY

[ Edited by TRAVELER_9ER on Sep 8, 2009 at 19:03:36 ]
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by dwats49:
How come the niners never pull off any trades. We all know that we need help on our pass rush, and now you have the raiders trading for richard seymore for a draft pick 2 years from now. "this is starting to piss me off"
i dont think management wants to win

You wouldn't think management wanted to win if they traded for Seymour and then next year aren't able to resign him because he is in the last year of his contract and decides to sign back with the pats.

That would be great. That would leave us with two headaches to deal with.

Teams like the Pats can pull off trades like the Seymour deal because they're dealing from a position of strength. Belichick knows when it's time to part ways with players...he understands while Seymour's still a good player, he's past his prime, therefore his value will continue to decline. Getting a #1 pick, even in the 2011 draft was an excellent deal for the Pats. Da Raidas are stuck with a guy who'll be a FA next year...and most likely won't sign with them. Why would Seymour want to play the rest of his career in Oakland...he won't, so this deal will be just the latest one to blow up in Al Davis' face.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
i'd rather not trade a 1st for a guy in his contract yr, rather build thru the draft, get Ndamukong Suh or Cody with one of our 1st's, there younger, and bigger.

LOL build through the draft!

Good one!
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Teams like the Pats can pull off trades like the Seymour deal because they're dealing from a position of strength. Belichick knows when it's time to part ways with players...he understands while Seymour's still a good player, he's past his prime, therefore his value will continue to decline. Getting a #1 pick, even in the 2011 draft was an excellent deal for the Pats. Da Raidas are stuck with a guy who'll be a FA next year...and most likely won't sign with them. Why would Seymour want to play the rest of his career in Oakland...he won't, so this deal will be just the latest one to blow up in Al Davis' face.

I wouldn't say Seymour is past his prime. he's 30 and had his career high in sacks last year with 8 in a 3-4 defense and usually is double teamed on run plays. NE obviously felt like they weren't going to be able to re-sign him and wanted some cap space but I wouldn't say his play has declined and probably won't for a few more years.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

LOL build through the draft!

Good one!

yeah so they don't sign a contract and hold all year long or get another Alex Smith unproven and pay him 24 Million upfront and wast 5 years on his ass !
Scott has not drafted very well in the first round there is no argument on my part there, but the guy can find some gems in the later rounds. However its for the 49ers to decide what think about his drafting skills.
Share 49ersWebzone