There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

22 points in 8 "meaningful" quarters

In the 8 quarters (the first half of each game) where any starters or even backups who might have any impact on this team played in the preseason against anything resembling regular NFL competition we have exactly 22 points.

2 TDs (one with a missed extra point), and 3 FGs. That's 11 points a game guys.

If you really want to be generous, you can give them the Sheets TD in the 3rd quarter of the Cowboys game too since that's the game where starters play the most. But that game with only 10 seconds left in the 3rd quarter and wasn't really against starters or even first string backups.

Even with the 85 Bears defense, that won't get it done.

The preseason may not count, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter. We have look inept on offense. We have had zero return game which means we are going the length of the field almost every time, and it is a herculean effort for us to pick up a 2-3 first downs to just get into better field position or to have even a shot at a FG.

If not for some penalties going our way, we might not have even scored as much as we have. And that worries me even more. From all the preseason games I've seen, they seem to be call PI like crazy this year. And we don't anyone stretching the D who can even take advantage of those calls. Meanwhile, our secondary is likely to get burned by ticky tack calls a lot because we have some gamblers back there.

We'll see in a week if there is any truth to those who say we are saving the "real" offense for the regular season. But it sure looks like we are going to struggle mightily to score points.

If we can't figure out how to put up at least 20-24 points a game, even a stellar defense and running game won't be enough for many Ws.
Now, that's a scary stat! And against the Cardinals at their stadium is gonna be tough to beat. They love to throw, probably throw more towards Clements to get TDs, I bet. He may have held Fitz to below avg. stats last season, but looks like Clements either lost a step or isn't make good on-field decisions.
Its the preseason. After last nights game I watched the denver game again. I am convinced the play calling will not be the same for the regular season. Against the raiders the niners seemed to be running the same running play in both directions over and over. The difference in these plays were the personnel.

I don't expect to score 30 pts per game but the niners will be decent with Hill at qb. When Alex was in there the run to pass ratio was still run heavy. I expect the same if not better total numbers than last year in regards to total yards and more importantly points per game.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Yes, I am worried. And defensively, we haven't played that great either. We don't tend to give up too many big plays, but we also can't get ouf defense off the field. Sound familiar?
Originally posted by fryet:
Yes, I am worried. And defensively, we haven't played that great either. We don't tend to give up too many big plays, but we also can't get ouf defense off the field. Sound familiar?

You should be worried - you can't just pound the rock with no threat of a real passing attack. Alex Smith may not be the answer fine he is to prone to injury and was not a number one pick - Fine but let me be clear Shaun Hill is a scrub - Always has been and always will be. He has a noodle for an arm and is slow runner. He is the 2nd coming of Steve Bono - Nate Davis may be to raw (don't think he is the answer either) I will say this we would have been better off getting Garcia back for 2 years and hoping Davis develops vs what we have now - We may win 9 games but we will not make the playoffs with Shaun Hill as the QB.
this team will continue to be mediocre at best without a legit QB. done and done. Get ready for another sub .500 season.
The refs supposedly getting all P.I happy bothers me. Yeah, make it even tougher for the CB to defend the pass. The league has got it's head up it's a$$ when it comes to officiating.
We'll see come a week from Sunday? You judge a football team in 4ths, so after the first four games if we are 2- or 3-1 great news, if we are 1-3 or 0-4 then you can hit the panic button? It all starts next week, the wild ride begins!
with below average DBs n absolutely zero passrush, teams will have a field day in the air against us. Especially the cards. Then on offense we're gonna be pussies n run a lot. Running is not gonna work when u r down. Oh my goodness we are gonna get kill against the cards. Then lose many games against other teams. I cant see us winning more than 5 games. Damn we're gonna have another losing season losing
The 9ers have some glaring holes and scoring is just one of the more obvious ones. I'm afraid it might be a long season, but I'm going to remain optimistic until I've seen some regular season games first.
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
We'll see come a week from Sunday? You judge a football team in 4ths, so after the first four games if we are 2- or 3-1 great news, if we are 1-3 or 0-4 then you can hit the panic button? It all starts next week, the wild ride begins!

But, if you remember, didn't we start out a few seasons 2-0, 2-1? Then we would lose 6 to 8 games in a row.. I think how we play the games (win or lose) in the first couple will tell us how we will be.. Don't get me wrong, I always prefer us to win, but hitting the panic button shouldn't always be based on whether or not we are 0-3..

To the OP, I like how you looked at more of the first stringers to see how we played.. Our 3-1 preseason record is a bit misleading.. However, one thing I took away from the Eagles game when they were showcasing Vick, was when McNabb didn't like the flow of the drive.. Granted Shaun Hill isn't McNabb, but I do believe you need to give your QB the ability to get into the flow of the game..

I know Hill getting hurt would not have been good, but I would've liked to see him in longer than the normal allotted time.. I think the fact he was named starter might have shocked him a bit.. He's used to backing up, coming in when someone goes down.. He needed more time with the guys to get his confidence and drive going..

[ Edited by djb49 on Sep 5, 2009 at 17:36:57 ]
Originally posted by Sugatis:
Originally posted by fryet:

You should be worried - you can't just pound the rock with no threat of a real passing attack. Alex Smith may not be the answer fine he is to prone to injury and was not a number one pick - Fine but let me be clear Shaun Hill is a scrub - Always has been and always will be. He has a noodle for an arm and is slow runner. He is the 2nd coming of Steve Bono - Nate Davis may be to raw (don't think he is the answer either) I will say this we would have been better off getting Garcia back for 2 years and hoping Davis develops vs what we have now - We may win 9 games but we will not make the playoffs with Shaun Hill as the QB.