LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 358 users in the forums

Jason Hill speaks after the game....weird situation.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The only way I see us keeping Hill in the long run is if we decide to keep him over Spurlock. But since they seem to see some value in Spurlock as the taser guy he has a good chance of sticking around. Sooooo we could keep 7 receivers if we cut Rossum and use Spurlock as a returner.

But I'm also hoping that Hill has just seen less reps because it gave the other receivers an opportunity and we know what we have in him, again I don't know. But I think it would be a mistake to let him go and keep Spurlock just so he could work the ineffective taser.
Hill > Spurlock, Battle, Zeigler
I remember when Sullivan treated Lellie this way.....this is a much more agregious situation.

Our general manager cant pick players, our coaching staff has been incomoetent for almost a decade and looks more and more likely to continue that trend, our owners can't pick competent leaders, we cant even get a beast like Michael Crabtree signed insteae acting like we don't need him which is completely bullsh*t.... we need him desperately.

I'm sick and tired of losing.
  • mildmanneredrg
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by obx49:
How sad is it that we all see Hill as a potential starter while the coaches see him as camp fodder? It shows how pathetic this once proud franchise has become...What a shame.

Yes, I'm sure everyone on this board has the expert eye and years of experience evaluating players to do a much better job than professionals in the NFL. We have nothing to go on with Jason Hill other than some good performances at the end of the year when most teams have already given up on the season.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Hill makes the team, too, but to act like he is what's going to elevate the 49ers to a Super Bowl is crazy. Why don't we let the team play a couple of games before we give up on the season? Oh, and by the way, when we don't go 1-15 like some have suggested, you should be banned from this board. Since you seem so eager to want to fire our whole staff because they don't do things according to your plan, if your win prediction doesn't come true, shouldn't you be "fired" as well?
Please, please keep Jason Hill!!!!!!!!
All this b*tching and moaning over speculations.
Its Sullivan's fault he has favorites... and he likes to pick who are the WR that join the team. Remember when it was leaked that some of the staff was upset that Brandon Jones was signed? I bet its that a-hole Sullivan. He likes to influence the coaches IMO about the WR and stuff and I hope Sing sees pass that and makes his own decision.
Wait til the cuts, then have you'll have legitimate b***hing to do.
IMO Spurlock > Hill. Still, Hill is a player and they should and can keep him.

He should make the cut with Jones out and Crabtree unsigned. I'm not worried about what next. It is a long season, and someone is bound to get hurt... if not on our team then on another.
wow the way people are reacting youd think Hill is the missing link to push us over the top. If this is the reaction just based on speculation its gonna be hilarious to see what happens if he gets cut lol.

but lets add somthing meaningful to this thread. lets see whos ahead of Hill/Spurlock.

Bruce
Morgan
Jones
Battle
Hill/Spurlock or both stay?

Either way 1) were a running team. 2) even if he makes the team hes teh fifth WR. even with Jones out Battle will get the call in the slot. Again he wont exactly be making that big a difference. and if Crabtree signs he gets pushed even further down. I know folks have a soft spot for him but Fire Sing for cutting Hill??? seriously?

every time J Hill caught the ball last season he was looking to hit someone! He better not get cut! I'll be really pissed!
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
wow the way people are reacting youd think Hill is the missing link to push us over the top. If this is the reaction just based on speculation its gonna be hilarious to see what happens if he gets cut lol.

but lets add somthing meaningful to this thread. lets see whos ahead of Hill/Spurlock.

Bruce
Morgan
Jones
Battle

Either way 1) were a running team. 2) even if he makes the team hes teh fifth WR. even with Jones out Battle will get the call in the slot. Again he wont exactly be making that big a difference. and if Crabtree signs he gets pushed even further down. I know folks have a soft spot for him but Fire Sing for cutting Hill??? seriously?

we don't need him in every play...but I think Shaun would love it if Jason came in on 3rd and longs....Jason is a pretty reliable receiver on 3rd downs.... we can use that, even if we are a running team.....also, Jason is a pretty good blocker (showed that again last night). He also did great on special teams....helped Spurlock for a great return yesterday.

I would rather Hill make the team over these players...

Micheal Robinson
Allen Rossum
Eric Green
Ziegler
Spurlock

and hell I would rather have our Long Snapper Brian Jennings get more time at TE and save a roster spot by not keeping Pascoe or that rookie on the active roster...Practice squad fine.

I thought I read some where that the best 53 players would make the team.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:

Bruce
Morgan
Jones
Battle

Firing Sing not ruthless enough for ya?

But you're right. We need 6 and it seems to me the odd man out is Zeigler. He has practice squad eligibility and he's the weakest(literal) link in the receiving corps. Getting hurt never help.
Originally posted by luis1985:
Its Sullivan's fault he has favorites... and he likes to pick who are the WR that join the team. Remember when it was leaked that some of the staff was upset that Brandon Jones was signed? I bet its that a-hole Sullivan. He likes to influence the coaches IMO about the WR and stuff and I hope Sing sees pass that and makes his own decision.

f**k Sullivan, he suppose to be this great guru and we haven't had a reciever with over 1000 yards since TO, which he had nothing to do with. He is so over hyped.

I'm so tired of losing its not even funny. If we have a losing record by mid season, I might find something else to do with my Sundays. I am far to frustrated.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Wow! I can't believe the panic! And the venom!!

Hill won't get cut. With Brandon Jones injured but pretty much assured a roster spot, carrying 6 receivers means we only have 5 actually available. Since Ziegler got injured and still has practice squad eligibility, it seems awfully likely to me he'll be the one to go.

But if it is Hill, what makes you think a whole bunch of teams will be clamoring for his services and that he will somehow become an instant star with them? He hasn't exactly set the world on fire with us. (And there were complaints when he was drafted in the 3rd round, that his talent was 3rd round, but his college performance never had been. Hmm...) He did show some promise after Nolan got canned last year. And I think a lot of us assumed he benefited from a fresh start.

But what happened to that "fresh start" that has him speculating that maybe he'll need another "fresh start" nine months later? Could it be, as the Matts and others have reported, that he hasn't been that impressive in camp? To those who complain that Singletary (or maybe Sullivan) is playing favorites, remember how Singletary handled an offensive coordinator last year who definitely WAS playing favorites!

If anything, reports from around Ninerland have been pretty consistent from both players and reporters that Singletary has been remarkably direct with everyone, and like it or not, you know where you stand with him.

So when Jason Hill starts popping off with comments like "maybe they don't like me", I suspect that means maybe they don't like aspects of his game, or his study habits or his practice habits--all things that we on the outside are not privy to. (As Jm Mora said "You don't know...and you'll never know"!)

Personally, if Singletary and his staff decides that it comes down to Hill or Spurlock, whichever way they decide is probably a more informed decision than any you or I could have made.
Share 49ersWebzone