There are 318 users in the forums

Should Nate Davis be the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Nate Davis be the back-up QB behind Shaun Hill?

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Yeah let's throw a rookie QB in there not ready to go because it worked so well last time. Seriously, you guys are so far beyond whack it is not even funny anymore, it is just plain pathetic. But I digress...please feel free to continue with the knee jerk reactionary rhetoric.

Naming Nate Davis as the backup QB is throwing him in??? I didn't know holding a clipboard and listening to plays through the headset on the sidelines was throwing someone in. ?????

YES it IS throwing him in. Look at last year and the year before that. How many injuries did Hill sustain in that 2 year period? It's not a question of IF Hill is injured. It's a question of when and if he'll be able to play. If not your choice of QB2 takes the next game or hell may even take over if Hill is knocked out of the game.

Freakin Einstein we got here folks.

~Ceadder

And if that were the scenario, Alex Smith would do SOoOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOo much better.

Okay BM, I will DARE you to find one article where Hill was just so much better than Smith that it necessitated giving him QB1.

If you can, then I will back off this ignorant opinion that Davis will outplay Smith against 1st and 2nd teamers.

Cause to be honest playing against scrubs fighting for a roster spot is not even close in level of competition.

~Ceadder

i am a smith guy, but i think davis might be able to outplay him. based on his poise. second if he can outplay smith, he can outplay hill also. based on hill is still a waste of our time just getting us by and no better than smith. at least smith would make the d's not stack the box as much....
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
hill ftw.... btw..first game of the season and we're seriously debating this?

cuz his preseason and his first game performances were garbage. game 1 at least davis didnt have to come from behind. people are debating this because hills performance all though 1 win. is not good. and the 1 win had 1 good drive. imo hes like shaq hitting free throws ( nfl drives), hes a pro and should do it easy, but no. hes like 1-40 for drives in 2009
[ Edited by fan49 on Sep 17, 2009 at 10:10 AM ]
yes, time to officially give up on Smith. Waste of time and money.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
This kid's better than Alex Smith IMO. He's played well throughout the preseason, I don't remember Alex Smith playing this well in his preseason days. I say put him in as our backup. Alex Smith can be third string.

Right, and while we at it, why don't we just "feed a couple more christians to the lions".
Do this now, and we can all have plenty of time to say we "thought Davis was gonna be something special, but why did they rush him".

not to mention alex was better than hill in preseason. just not way better.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Here we go... Nate Davis > Alex Smith

Right. Seriously man I think Nate will be good one day but this is a hopeless discussion. You're a typical reactionary fan. I find them in every fan base. I have friends who are raider fans and when Andrew Walter had a good pre season everyone clamored for him. What happened? 2-14.

I'm just saying I agree with you that Nate is good but you have to put things in perspective. It's like saying Brit Miller is better than Moran Norris or Jo Jon Finley is better than VD. It's senseless. With your logic we should just start Davis and bench Hill too. Cmon man get real.

Regardless of what happened in the preseason, you can't deny the fact and history that Alex Smith stinks it up every time he's on the field. Nate Davis has all the skills and qualities that your beloved Alex Smith has, but Davis is much better.

He's got the big arm, the mobility, but unlike Alex Smith, Davis actually has pocket presence and accuracy. He's not afraid to throw the ball away if there is no play. Alex Smith scrambles around and rolls to his right every time he sees a little pressure and makes a poor decision with the ball.

All I'm saying is Nate Davis has a lot more upside and potential than Alex Smith. We've all seen what Alex Smith can do, (not much). Nate Davis is better than Alex Smith IMO.

While it is not my hard and fast philosophy, in this case I think the lineup is as it should be. Nate needs to sit a while. I don't think he is some kind of moron, but his learning issues admittedly slow him down a little.

I would prefer that when/if Hill has to come out of the game, it's ruined young Alex who takes the beating and heat for what I believe would be essentially the same results, rather then putting that on Davis who has shown some potential, but clearly not enough to be starting after any given play essentially.
I think everything is fine the way it is now, we have 3 capable qb's but this upcoming draft will let us know a lot about the future of the qb position on this team, there are a lot of good qb's coming out...........
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
This kid's better than Alex Smith IMO. He's played well throughout the preseason, I don't remember Alex Smith playing this well in his preseason days. I say put him in as our backup. Alex Smith can be third string.

Right, and while we at it, why don't we just "feed a couple more christians to the lions".
Do this now, and we can all have plenty of time to say we "thought Davis was gonna be something special, but why did they rush him".

not to mention alex was better than hill in preseason. just not way better.

LOL from what I remember Alex thew like 2 interceptions a game until he finally led a TD drive (and he didn't even throw a TD pass due to his next-level mastery in the overthrow).
I'd say, trade Smith if we could and bring back Huard. But to answer if Davis should be #2... I'll go with No, not right now. Lets let the kid sit and develop for at least a year.
I think putting Davis in as #2 has some good points. He won't be rushed as long as Hill is not permanently injured, but say Hill needs a spell because equipment malfunction or something where he needs to come out for a few plays. This will give a chance for Davis to get comfortable and a feel for coming in with no pressure. Like if the niners got way in points (I know fat chance) or if the niners get blown out, put him in instead of smith. Just like walsh did with Montana-put him in the game in certain situations so that he feels no pressure to produce, but just play and get used to the level of play, build his confidence.
From 49er Insider today...

"The 49ers apparently spent more than 15 hours with him and were convinced he could learn a pro offense. They've also made special provisions for him such as running pass and run sets with the offense after practice so he can visualize plays. For his part, Davis said he hopes to learn the offense by the end of his rookie season.

The choosing of Davis and the special provisions the organization made for him showed a foresight lacking in most organizations. Most teams probably figured he wasn't worth the hassle. But they not only recognized his talent but were organized enough to put a program in place for his learning style."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=47847#ixzz0RPFF8NPi

I'm hoping this committment means he will be the 49ers QB of the future and that they can spend those 2 first rounders on other positions.

• carl
  • Veteran
No.

Unless of course everyone we play is backups/scrubs playing soft zones. Then I think he'd be great.
Ultimately, but not just yet. He needs some more time to develop before he could be a legitimate quality #2 QB that can come into games and win them for you.
Is Alex even healthy yet?
Originally posted by domesik:
From 49er Insider today...

"The 49ers apparently spent more than 15 hours with him and were convinced he could learn a pro offense. They've also made special provisions for him such as running pass and run sets with the offense after practice so he can visualize plays. For his part, Davis said he hopes to learn the offense by the end of his rookie season.

The choosing of Davis and the special provisions the organization made for him showed a foresight lacking in most organizations. Most teams probably figured he wasn't worth the hassle. But they not only recognized his talent but were organized enough to put a program in place for his learning style."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=47847#ixzz0RPFF8NPi

I'm hoping this committment means he will be the 49ers QB of the future and that they can spend those 2 first rounders on other positions.

that would be bad ass.......

The guy does not need to be manning.....

He just needs to be electric and Clutch when the run game stalls.

To many people confuse a learning disability with a Functional intelligence problem.

No one is going to put the guy in a pressure situation were he has one week to find every single hole in a defense , like the do Manning.

Whats really strikes me is , the 49ers Drafted a QB because they thought he was Brilliant and bought in to all the hype about his college class room prowess..... That guy gets flat up confused Week in and week out on the football field when he actually has to play and not carry a clipboard.

so i flat love that the 49ers are putting hte playbook in form that He can best learn, They should prob do the same thing for Smith since he has Yet to be able to actually function in a live game with any consistency..
Everyone remember the Shaun Hill vs Nate Davis debates. These were dark times indeed.
Share 49ersWebzone