There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cornerback situation

Is it me or would we have a better secondary with Bly and Briwn as our corners? The more I closely each Clements the more I am convinced that he should be moved to FS now. I don't agree that he is just taking it easy and getting constantly burnt simply cause it's the preseason. Good corners shut receivers down no matter the situation, it's what they do. He has lost a step and it's time to get quicker guys on the edge
It's time to find a better #1 CB
Clements had his strengths, but he aws never the shutdown corner that we thought we were getting. That's pretty evident. We overpaid for him and now he's not even as good as when he first got here!. Hopefully we won't fold and overpay for craptree too (sorry, had to get that in) But seriously, all the excuses that's it's preseason don't hold water. Clements has looked very average since last year and we may be better off moving him to safety and soon, or he's gonna get burned alot more this season.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Clements had his strengths, but he aws never the shutdown corner that we thought we were getting. That's pretty evident. We overpaid for him and now he's not even as good as when he first got here!. Hopefully we won't fold and overpay for craptree too (sorry, had to get that in) But seriously, all the excuses that's it's preseason don't hold water. Clements has looked very average since last year and we may be better off moving him to safety and soon, or he's gonna get burned alot more this season.

yea dre bly has covered better than him so far. T. BROWN FTW!!!
We will be looking for a new CB in 2011. Nate's contract will be getting large at that point and a replacement will be found.
sounds crazy to bench a guy making this much, but i totally agree. the game when he got injured against the jets last year, the secondary did extremely well imo
eh...our defensive backfiel actually looks very promising to me. Goldson, Smith,Brown ,Spencer looking like they all definetly belong. Hudson and Taylor look like they have value. Bly and Lewis top vets. Its nate everyone seems to be worrying so much about. I dunno though im not too worried. i think round game 4 if hes still in the same funk then we can easily switch spencer or brown to his spot and improve play. its not a situation...as of yet. you guys wanna have things to worry about. worry about our pass protection. our pass rush. on crabtree lol
Originally posted by northshore:
Is it me or would we have a better secondary with Bly and Briwn as our corners? The more I closely each Clements the more I am convinced that he should be moved to FS now. I don't agree that he is just taking it easy and getting constantly burnt simply cause it's the preseason. Good corners shut receivers down no matter the situation, it's what they do. He has lost a step and it's time to get quicker guys on the edge

Its just you....as Singletary named kept Clements as one starter and named Spencer as the other with Bly and Brown backing them up.
  • Sigmund1
  • Info N/A
I agree...Dre Bly had a pretty good preseason, and a proven veteran. He should start over Spencer.
This team has some problems, but backfield depth is not chief among them.
Now imagine if we had any semblance of a 4 man rush. That secondary would be scary good.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Now imagine if we had any semblance of a 4 man rush. That secondary would be scary good.

Your assuming that Clements has not lost a step and will no longer get tourched in the long ball.

Let's hope that assumption is correct.

I guarantee you The Cards will make every effort to go deep, over the top against Clements until he proves otherwise, since Clements appears to have a problem right now.
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Your assuming that Clements has not lost a step and will no longer get tourched in the long ball.

Let's hope that assumption is correct.

I guarantee you The Cards will make every effort to go deep, over the top against Clements until he proves otherwise, since Clements appears to have a problem right now.

i'm assuming the Pass rush covers up his mistakes by getting to the QB fast enough.
  • 49forLyfe
  • Info N/A
a few weeks ago i posted "will clements be unseated" and i think the ENTIRE bashed me and told me i was crazy. He is the best corner we have..... BULLSHHHH. He is burnt toast. Looks like ya man lockdown aint locking down nothing but some BIGG $$$$... He suck imo. To me it don"t matter who plays corner. Just someone who can stick by their man. I said in my post that he wolud be asked to take a huge pay cut to remain or just simply get cut. Bly Brown & obviosly Spencer looks just fine to me buttt aka LOCKDOWN is a joke and will exposed this season.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Everybody needs to chill on Clements. He has not lost a step, nor has he forgotten how to play the position. Yes, he made some silly mistakes in practice games but that doesn't mean he is junk. Players frequently use these games to try different things. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Singletary knows what he is getting with Clements and he is obviously not worried.

Clements is one of the better corners in the league. He has never been in the class of a Champ Bailey but he is not chopped liver either. He IS one of the very best CBs in the league in run support. That is what you get with Nate Clements. He will get beat on a few occasions but so does even Champ Bailey on occasions.