LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

Defensive post-game analysis (week 4)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
I don't ever recall Greg Manusky having any kind of pass rushing schemes that worked since he's been with the 49er's (2007). As a matter of fact, if you have any kind of memory at all, that's the year that the semi-solid 49er's defense seemed to have started regressing.

To wit: the 49er's after posting a 7-9 record in 2006 DROPPED to 5-11 in 2007 when Manusky became the Defensive Coordinator. 2008 Started out badly as well and it's when Mike Singletary took over the helm and salvaged a losing season.

Perhaps it was because of Singletary's motivation that accomplished this. But motivation alone only lasts for so long, you need well executed plays and schemes to continually make things work.

The 49er's don't exactly have a scoring machine, so they need a SOLID defense to keep things in check but that ain't gonna happen without some kind of QB pressure.

HOLD YOUR COLLECTIVE BREATHS ... It could be a long season!

When Singletary took over, defensive players were saying that they were playing better because Manusky instantly switched them from Nolan's hybrid D to a base 3-4. The defense played better, but the sacks still weren't there.

I don't blame Manusky, I blame Scotty Mac for not bringing in any pass rushers. We've failed to address this, which is just ridiculous for a 3-4 defense. It should've been priority #1 from the beginning. Just look at how bad San Diego's defense looked last season without Merriman. With him on the field, it opens things up for everyone.

I'm getting sick of watching our defense try to manufacture sacks. If we had pass rushers, that wouldn't be necessary.
Briggs is going to make this team. No doubt about it.
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
I don't ever recall Greg Manusky having any kind of pass rushing schemes that worked since he's been with the 49er's (2007). As a matter of fact, if you have any kind of memory at all, that's the year that the semi-solid 49er's defense seemed to have started regressing.

To wit: the 49er's after posting a 7-9 record in 2006 DROPPED to 5-11 in 2007 when Manusky became the Defensive Coordinator. 2008 Started out badly as well and it's when Mike Singletary took over the helm and salvaged a losing season.

Perhaps it was because of Singletary's motivation that accomplished this. But motivation alone only lasts for so long, you need well executed plays and schemes to continually make things work.

The 49er's don't exactly have a scoring machine, so they need a SOLID defense to keep things in check but that ain't gonna happen without some kind of QB pressure.

HOLD YOUR COLLECTIVE BREATHS ... It could be a long season!

When Singletary took over, defensive players were saying that they were playing better because Manusky instantly switched them from Nolan's hybrid D to a base 3-4. The defense played better, but the sacks still weren't there.

I don't blame Manusky, I blame Scotty Mac for not bringing in any pass rushers. We've failed to address this, which is just ridiculous for a 3-4 defense. It should've been priority #1 from the beginning. Just look at how bad San Diego's defense looked last season without Merriman. With him on the field, it opens things up for everyone.

I'm getting sick of watching our defense try to manufacture sacks. If we had pass rushers, that wouldn't be necessary.

Here's my problem. How is it that the Chargers 2nd and 3rd defensive stringers are ABLE to put a pass rush on our QB's? Are the 49er's that inept at drafting players that NON of them are as good as the Chargers?

The odds says that it doesn't happen. The Chargers couldn't have drafted a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers that are THAT good at pass rushing!

Watch the teams that implements the REAL pass rush. They don't just send one or two people ... they send an entire group and mix up their pass rushing schemes!
The 49er's have taken the the term VANILLA to the next level!

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Sep 5, 2009 at 12:37:04 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Who was it that forced a fumble yesterday when the announcers mentioned the Lawrence Taylor move? Anyone remember?
Share 49ersWebzone