LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Does Ricky-Jean Make 53

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Ricky-Jean Make 53

Well I think it's safe to say he is going to make the team. Now the question is, can he replace Franklin? I know it's only been two pre-season games, but this kid has been a beast. Our defense doesn't look any less dominate when he's in there. If I was Franklin, I would be at 49ers head quarters first thing tomorrow morning to sign my contract before they decide they don't need me. RJF has single handedly taken away any leverage Franklin may have had....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Aug 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM ]
To answer the question...yes. On a side note, I see lots of depth on this team in general, never a bad sign for a team looking to go to the playoffs.
Since RJF has been our NT all throughout training camp, and we may or may not re-sign Franklin long-term, isn't he in the running to get a lot of playing time as a potential starter or rotating guy?
Of course he makes the team. He's the backup NT and he's played great all camp and in preseason. It's crazy to me that people think he won't make it.
i was wondering who was dumb enough to ask this question then i saw it was a thread from 2009 of september
For the record this was an old thread started back in 2009.

I just used the title because it's an attention grabber.

I wonder what the Niner staff is thinking about RJF and Franklin right now? I would definitly consider locking RJF up to a longer term deal.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i was wondering who was dumb enough to ask this question then i saw it was a thread from 2009 of september

+1

I was like, WTF!?!?! Then I saw the post was from last year

P.S. - Yes, he makes the team.
[ Edited by olapac on Aug 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM ]
This shouldn't even be a question IMO. RJF was shown this preseason that he is a legit NT. He isn't great by any means, but he is a lock for the 53.

Smith, Franklin, Soap are obviously the starters. We all know the role RayMac plays as he is usually the first guy off the bench for the starters. Either to spell Smith (ya right) or Soap and then he's also a big part of their nickel/passing down package.
RJF is easily the most talented of the guys after that. I don't think he'll see alot of playing time if Franklin stays healthy though.

He WILL make the 53. The Niners don't have any other legit NTs. Franklin and RFJ are it.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Even though Jean has played well - we still need Franklin. You need depth at lines to win in this league and we don't have anyone behind Jean. Soap is eh - and if Jean can be give Franklin a breather - it makes overall play of Franklin and our D that much better.
yes, especially now because he's playing well and that chump Balmer is gone.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Aug 22, 2010 at 9:13 PM ]

I think he'll be Franklin's backup this season. I hope the Niners can budget Franklin longer term though...
I'm surprised this is even a topic of discussion. I think it's a clear cut yes. I can't imagine any scenario (barring a major injury) where RJF doesn't make the active squad.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mug0mug:
I'm surprised this is even a topic of discussion. I think it's a clear cut yes. I can't imagine any scenario (barring a major injury) where RJF doesn't make the active squad.

The thread is from last sept.
This thread is great. It is proof of how he dug deep, dedicated himself into getting in NFL shape and got his life in order off the field. Went from barely making the team in 09 to becoming a real up and coming star on the D-line.

Very impressive preseason thus far for RJF
He may start next year if we dont sign Franklin

Could we play them together this season

RJF - Franklin - Smith

Share 49ersWebzone