There are 234 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After hearing Deion's rant on NFLN I really wish some of our old players like Rice or Young would come out and stand up for this organization and to say that he is making a huge mistake by not being in camp.
Crabtree will sign soon...
  • TheChosenOne
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by altadenaniner:
At this point if Crabtree doesn't sign I'm okay with it. The guy is too much of a distraction.

that
Originally posted by GoNiners:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Does anyone honestly (be honest now) believe that he would be thrilled to sign a 10th overall slotted contract, and would do so? Especially after seeing a temporary injury push him down the board, and get passed by DHB.

This contract problem was obvious a long time ago, so I don't see why people are so upset to this date. This is not a normal 10th overall selection, it surely wasn't on draft day, and it won't magically become one just because we want it to.

The Niners are going to have to craft a creative contract to get this done, and if not, I think he simply walks away.

P.S. Once again, I don't understand the anger. I think if you put yourself in Crabtree's shoes as one of the dominant players entering the draft, seeing your stock drop due to a temporary injury, personally knowing that you should have been the first WR picked if not for that temporary injury, see that player who undeservedly jump you receive a massively overinflated salary, only to see him stink it up in camps and preseason games, hear of interest from other teams who are willing to throw down big money on you, and are interested in you as their first rounder next year, and think that you can prove the doubters wrong....why would you want to sign a fully-slotted 10th overall contract.

People are way too overemotional. He simply thinks he deserves better, and I believe he has a good case.

Furious response in 5,4,3,2,1...go!

Wait, one final note: If Crabtree was willing to sign for one dollar less than DHB before Monroe and Raji signed, the Niners were the ones who screwed up. The 8th and 9th slots were not closed until late in the negotiation game. The Niners could have not "broken the slot" if they gave Crabtree one less dollar than DHB. Of course, we will never know what each side offered, if Crabtree wanted more, if the Niners offered something more than now before Monroe and Raji signed, etc.

I see what you're saying but there was a reason teams passed on him. Whether it was because of his foot or him being immature and a drama queen. If all the teams knew he was that damn good they would've drafted him higher but he wasn't. He needs to know this is how the draft works, you're drafted where you are and that's that. Yes he's a hell of a WR and has a load of talent and he needs to prove that on the field instead of holding out for more money. Prove you're worth the s**t load of money on the field first.

Couple notes: The "drama queen" or "diva" comment came from Eric Mangini, who is a tool. Texas Tech coach Mike Leach came right out and tore the Browns apart for this characterization. It may be true, or false, but it simply their perspective. However, people have tended to latch onto this characterization as if came from the mouth of Jesus, not one of the least liked people in the NFL.

As for proving you're worth the money, that is not how the current rookie salary structure works. None of the rookies have proven anything, so you would have to punish the entire rookie class with that statement.

Almost nobody on the planet could perceive Crabtree dropping to ten back in February. And, he probably wouldn't have dropped if not for a temp injury. So, to me, I think he's got a case to say, "Look, this thing is healed, I am the same player that everyone was hyped about and projected in the top 5 picks, and I am worth more than the 10th overall selection."

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 8, 2009 at 14:46:06 ]
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

how do you figure?
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Does anyone honestly (be honest now) believe that he would be thrilled to sign a 10th overall slotted contract, and would do so? Especially after seeing a temporary injury push him down the board, and get passed by DHB.

This contract problem was obvious a long time ago, so I don't see why people are so upset to this date. This is not a normal 10th overall selection, it surely wasn't on draft day, and it won't magically become one just because we want it to.

The Niners are going to have to craft a creative contract to get this done, and if not, I think he simply walks away.

P.S. Once again, I don't understand the anger. I think if you put yourself in Crabtree's shoes as one of the dominant players entering the draft, seeing your stock drop due to a temporary injury, personally knowing that you should have been the first WR picked if not for that temporary injury, see that player who undeservedly jump you receive a massively overinflated salary, only to see him stink it up in camps and preseason games, hear of interest from other teams who are willing to throw down big money on you, and are interested in you as their first rounder next year, and think that you can prove the doubters wrong....why would you want to sign a fully-slotted 10th overall contract.

People are way too overemotional. He simply thinks he deserves better, and I believe he has a good case.

Furious response in 5,4,3,2,1...go!

Wait, one final note: If Crabtree was willing to sign for one dollar less than DHB before Monroe and Raji signed, the Niners were the ones who screwed up. The 8th and 9th slots were not closed until late in the negotiation game. The Niners could have not "broken the slot" if they gave Crabtree one less dollar than DHB. Of course, we will never know what each side offered, if Crabtree wanted more, if the Niners offered something more than now before Monroe and Raji signed, etc.

Crabtree would have signed before either of those guys. He was intending to wait for DHB to sign so he would know how much to ask for.

DHB signed early, and the other two later. The window was opened for a massively inflated 10th overall salary that would not have "busted" the slot.

dude
Does anyone else think that MadDog is on Eugene Parker and Crabtree's payroll? I've not seen anyone else defend him on these message boards. Perhaps they're trying to cast Crabtree in a positive light and make the Niners front office look like the villains here. I've not seen anything other than pro-Crabtree/Parker propaganda spewing from MadDog this past month or two.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jimbagg:
The stakes are about to get serious for Crabtree. To this point, holding out has cost him nothing (except skipping Singletary's brutal TC). But beginning Sunday, September 13, he loses 1/17th of his potential 2009 salary. That's a big number. He can't replace those dollars with a comparable job.

I expect him to sign within the next 72 hours. All this bull from Deion Sanders, etc is a last gasp negotiating strategy. Time favors the Niners and seriously hurts Crabtree. McCloughan, Crabtree and Eugene Parker all know this.

The Niners are handling this perfectly. No negative comments directed toward Crabtree. I foresee a 2-part response by the club. First, sign Crabtree. Second, and ONLY after Crabtree is signed, the club will be ruthless in going after some draft pick compensation for the obvious tampering. But that is being kept under wraps for now, in order to maintain a positive environment for Crabtree to sign.

If Crabtree's holdout continues into the regular season, through Week 3 or so, it becomes more likely that the Niners would find a "pre-existing physical issue", so that they could PUP him through Week 6, then drop a player to add him to the 53-man roster. Crabtree could then have time to learn the playbook and be a productive contributor to the 53-man roster.

Oh, my friend, you are seeing things under one lens. I think Crabtree has the Niners equally in a bad spot. If Sanders is being truthful, and nobody seems to be claiming he is not, then the news that teams were willing to pay Crabtree a mega salary only undercuts the Niners' position.

The Niners are the ones in trouble, if this deal does not go down over the next few days. Crabtree seems like a proud guy, and he could use all of the negative press as a motivational tool to be ready for next year's draft, or sign off on a trade and mega salary deal before the draft.

The Niners have a mediocre WR group, and losing a top college talent like Crabtree would be a big blow to the organization, even if it meant saving face, and money. Saving face doesn't win games. And, their money hasn't produced a winning team.

I will say that I believe the league will secretly become involved in the contract negotiations in the next couple of days. The last thing they want is a nasty year, uncertainty going into the draft season next year, and all of the problems associated with potential tampering issues.

Keep drinking the kool aid maddog. The niners won't break on this and they shouldn't. Crabtree will never make back the money he will lose by sitting out this year.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Does anyone else think that MadDog is on Eugene Parker and Crabtree's payroll? I've not seen anyone else defend him on these message boards. Perhaps they're trying to cast Crabtree in a positive light and make the Niners front office look like the villains here. I've not seen anything other than pro-Crabtree/Parker propaganda spewing from MadDog this past month or two.

MadDog is swinging from Cashtree's branches
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
NT Khalif Mitchell has been released by the Niners. They now have an open spot on the practice squad. They seem to be clearing a space on the roster. Maybe for Crabtree.....maybe not

god damnit he was my favorite player on the ps. we shouldve dumped collins.

Originally posted by DonJulio:

more like his berries.
Originally posted by GoNiners:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

how do you figure?

49ers just cut mitchell off the practice squad...

NO MadDog is a Crabtrees advisor.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by DonJulio:

more like his berries.

I am being paid handsomely.

In actuality, there are no villains here. It is a contract negotiation. People have assigned the parts for this drama, as if it was a play, and Crabtree and Parker have consistently been targeted as Satan and the Goat.

In recap: no villains, no evil people, no baby killers. Simply a contract negotiation. And, a fascinating one, at that.
Share 49ersWebzone