There are 221 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pd24:
I don't get this whole thing about more money. If he is good, the niners will take care of him in 2 years. they sid with Staley, Gore, and Harlson. The niners take care of good players. He should look at it as 16 million for 2 or 3 years and the nineres will most likely take care of the next contract.

I think there is more to it, I really think Deion convinced this kid he will never catch that many passes playing for Singletary and Raye and long term it will hurt him to get another contract and get more ad money and endorsements because he will only be catching 60 or 70 passes instead of 90 or 100 like he would on lets say, the Cowboys?
hey at least we're getting attention
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I don't know what's going to happen at this point? Can someone please answer me this question...

Why do so many people think Michael Crabtree will have the oppertunity to re-enter the 2010 NFL Draft? If anything, he doesn't sign, and the 49ers will trade him in an effort to get some value for him. Also, Does Crabtree have the option to reject the trade? He shouldn't get to choose where he goes. I just don't get it!

if he is traded, he isn't required to sign with that team, there is no contract being traded, and only his rights...

so if his rights are traded to a team, he still has the option to re-enter the draft, because he is not contractually obligated to that team, so now that team is out of whatever they traded to the 49er's to get his rights..

no team will trade for him unless they know they already have contract agreements with him...

I don't think it works that way. If he gets traded to another team that team will then have his rights until the 2011 draft. Thus, the hold his rights for the whole year. Then if he wants he can do the same thing all over again and then that team can trade his rights away to another team. I think.

WRONG, they will have his rights, right up until draft day (2010) just like we would if we didn't trade him. No team is going to trade for him unless they know he will sign and I think the only team that knows he would sign with them is the Cowboys and im sure they will just take there chances on drafting him.

The Cowboys won't be picking high enough to take him if he re-enters the draft. Crabtree should go no lower than the 15th pick. Dallas will be picking in the late 20's. But, your probably right about the draft rights if someone knows more about this please give your input.

i know plenty about it and just gave you more than input, i gave you facts.
If Deion was telling the truth (which I doubt) I suspect the 2 teams involved could be the Cowboys and Redskins. We all know Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder do not hesitate to pay top dollar for big name players! And there is a common link... DEION SANDERS!!! Also, we know the Redskins were suspected of tampering in the case of Albert Haynesworth.

Snyder doesn't pay for rookies though, as mentioned before I think it's gotta be Baltimore. But they probably inquired about a trade back when Mason retired and they had no WR's, and Deion played for them. But I respect baltimore and don't think they would pull any behind the scenes BS like Jerry Jones would, so their discussions probably ended with the trade deadline.
[ Edited by 5280High on Sep 16, 2009 at 11:37 AM ]
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by oz9er:
Originally posted by English:
I don't know what's going to happen at this point? Can someone please answer me this question...

Why do so many people think Michael Crabtree will have the oppertunity to re-enter the 2010 NFL Draft? If anything, he doesn't sign, and the 49ers will trade him in an effort to get some value for him. Also, Does Crabtree have the option to reject the trade? He shouldn't get to choose where he goes. I just don't get it!

if he is traded, he isn't required to sign with that team, there is no contract being traded, and only his rights...

so if his rights are traded to a team, he still has the option to re-enter the draft, because he is not contractually obligated to that team, so now that team is out of whatever they traded to the 49er's to get his rights..

no team will trade for him unless they know they already have contract agreements with him...

Surely no team can make contact with him, let alone have a contract agreement?-

teams have to come through us to work out any deals. no team can contact him or his agent or work him out prior to 12.00am draft day.

....except for the 2 NFL teams that Deion claimed contacted the Crabtree camp

If Deion was telling the truth (which I doubt) I suspect the 2 teams involved could be the Cowboys and Redskins. We all know Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder do not hesitate to pay top dollar for big name players! And there is a common link... DEION SANDERS!!! Also, we know the Redskins were suspected of tampering in the case of Albert Haynesworth.

I don't understand how anyone would think either the cowboys or redskins would be willing to pay top dollar to him. Crabtree will be at the mercy of the team he is traded to or drafted by. Why? Because he will no longer have the threat of a long term holdout. By the time next season begins he will be nearly 2 years removed from the game. He can't threat to sit out the season because the 2011 draft class may have a salary structure. This is the reason you will see more underclassmen players delcaring this year. This is already going to be a loaded draft.

That being said...Crabtree will sign with the niners!
[ Edited by dirtysouthniner on Sep 16, 2009 at 11:37 AM ]
I am getting nervous that York is about to compound the 49er's mistake here. The biggest error they can make now, in my humble judgment, is to sign this guy. Save the money and more wisely use it next year.

To spend $$$$$$$ on this guy for doing nothing, sends a malignant message to the other players who busted their butts all preseason. It will undermine their moral and thus threaten to impair their intensity on game day.
Wow i got warned for saying mm and the 9ers were making maddog and his argument look less intelligent when other people got away with calling him names. ridiculous and very frustrating.
Originally posted by alburns:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I thought we lost our rights to trade him?

We can trade him next march, but not until then

why March? at what point did we lose the ability to trade his rights. i mean on draft day we could have traded him. that happens all the time on draft day. im confused.

It would be a Sign & Trade, basically the other team agrees in principle to a contract with Crabs, we sign him to that contract and trade him to the team for what they are offering.

No team would trade simply for the "rights" to him unless there was tampering involved. They would require a contract to be in place, and Im sure there is some enforceable agreement to ensure the trade actually takes place once the contract is signed.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I don't think it works that way. If he gets traded to another team that team will then have his rights until the 2011 draft. Thus, the hold his rights for the whole year. Then if he wants he can do the same thing all over again and then that team can trade his rights away to another team. I think.

WRONG, they will have his rights, right up until draft day (2010) just like we would if we didn't trade him. No team is going to trade for him unless they know he will sign and I think the only team that knows he would sign with them is the Cowboys and im sure they will just take there chances on drafting him.

The Cowboys won't be picking high enough to take him if he re-enters the draft. Crabtree should go no lower than the 15th pick. Dallas will be picking in the late 20's. But, your probably right about the draft rights if someone knows more about this please give your input.

No disrespect, Mali. I just need to hear it from an additional party.

No disrespect, Mali. I just need to hear it from an additional party.

you dont follow espn or nfl network too often do you?

its been said plenty of times..

not to mention if you understand how the whole contract/rights system works within the NFL its pretty straightforward ..

also to the guy above who said he would be at the mercy of the team he is traded to, no, because again, unless that team already has a contract agreement in place with Crabtree, there is no way they risk giving anything up for him if there isnt an agreement already there...and he would be able to just sit for a month and wait for the 2010 draft..

however yes, he is at the mercy of the team who drafts him, however if he really is as stubborn as it seems, he could technically tell that team to f**k off as well, and trade him before next season's early trade deadline to a team that wants to pay him..
[ Edited by MaliCali on Sep 16, 2009 at 11:48 AM ]
do u think he wont sign cuz he knows jimmy raye and sing will run 1st then pass they said 60% run and 40% pass and of course he would want the ball right?
I really don't think a team would be willing to risk their first overall pick on him, maybe if they had 2 first rounders - but if the guy has been out of football for a year I'd be surprised to see an owner invest that much money with a team's first pick. Second pick, very different story.
Originally posted by 5280High:

It would be a Sign & Trade, basically the other team agrees in principle to a contract with Crabs, we sign him to that contract and trade him to the team for what they are offering.

No team would trade simply for the "rights" to him unless there was tampering involved. They would require a contract to be in place, and Im sure there is some enforceable agreement to ensure the trade actually takes place once the contract is signed.

I think it would go down like this:

1. Team X calls McCloughan and makes an acceptable trade offer.
2. The Niners give Team X permission to work-out contract terms with Crabtree.
3. The trade is completed.

I think the prime candidates for trade partners would be bottom of the 1st round teams looking for a playmaking WR but won't be within reach of the top 2010 prospects, assuming they're not scared off by Crabtree's act.
So Jed York on KNBR radio yesterday, openly extended an olive branch of peace to Craptree and his agent. Clearly Jed and 9ers are bending over backwords for this knocklehead.

So if Craptree and his agent don't accept that "face to face".... I say that indicate's once again Red Flags.

How many Red Flag signals does one need before they say, screw it?
Share 49ersWebzone