There are 187 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
He will lose to much money if he sits out till next year. He's not dumb enough to do that. Atleast I think he isn't.

I think we might all be surprised.
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
Originally posted by Ricethefngoat:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Don't pay him. He'll learn his lesson the hard way. And lose out on 15 mill guaranteed like an idiot.

If he wants to sit out the entire season and re-enter the draft, i say let him. He won't get picked till the 2nd round, if that. And then he'll look like a dumbass and get paid somewhere in the $500,000 range.

No way we lose out on a number 1 WR. how could you want that to happen over a few million dollars that u will never see anyway. If we lose this guy then next year were down to B.Jones J.Morgan and J.Hill as our future, none of which have ever been anywhere close to being concidered the caliber of player Crabtree is concidered to have the potential of being. If we do not come up w/ a contract it will be viewed as a failure for the organization. Add incentives to his contract that can get him top 5 money and give him money somewhere around 7~8 spot. If we dont sign him we would probably need another wr next yr. N with Crabtree Gore will not have to keep dealing w/ 8 man fronts

I so agree with you man. They need to get him signed asap. The 49ers Front Office has gotten too much bad press over the years. You guys can use the ego/diva argument all you want but the point is you have to get your top picks signed. The 49ers were lucky to land a player with that kind of talent at the tenth spot. I hope they end this madness once and for all. The worst thing they could do is tell Crabtree screw you, you aren't worth it. They need to come to a compromise.

So let's say they do that.

At the 11th hour, they say, you know what, as a reward for holding out of all of training camp, we are going to give you DHB salary.

Next year, we draft a player as the Nth pick in the draft. He wants to be paid as the Nth +2 pick.

His argument is simple, he is the baddest bad boy on this side of the Mississippi, we really need him (he is right) and we have the money to pay him (he is also right).

Oh, but we have another 1st round draft pick who wants the same thing. On and on it goes.

Yes, we will be able to sign these picks too. But how many years will we be able to do this?

Its called "salary cap."

Eventually, we will run into cap problems because of this horrible precedent we set for this one, oh so special, daisy of a player.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by joefosho:
Pay the guy and this over with already.

We do not negotiate with terrorist ;p

Yeah, we're making a stand!

Here's a novel idea for McCloughan and company. How about making this a quality franchise so players won't be able to hold us up in the future like Crabtree is attempting to do now. Let's make this an exciting destination for players to go to. Crabtree has every right to do what he is doing. Is it any wonder that the two longest hold-outs belonged to the Bengals and us? It's the company we keep that puts us in the situation we are currently in. Crabtree should have been in four weeks ago catching passes in a Mike Shanahan offense.

how does he have a right, he hasnt proven anything in the league, he hasnt practiced, and he wants more than the 7th pick, give me a break, he is a joke if he thinks we will cave.

So please dont defend him, he decided to holdout, not the other way around, we didnt ask him to.

and 16M guaranteed sounds good to me.

So this is really all about pride and self preservation. We are making a stand, not in the interest of getting better, but in the interest of making sure McCloughan and company are looked upon favorably when they have to go looking for other jobs. See, they will be looking. McCloughan got an unbelievable reprieve, then tossed that out the window with the ridiculously premature and unwarranted hiring of a guy that obviously thinks we play in a mother freaking cold weather environment where passing is impossible and people are actually pacified by some bull crap run at all costs offense.

If we cave in, McCloughan will be black balled by everybody except old man Al, so he has to toe the line and defend this stupid "slotting" method that isn't official and really only serves the best interests of those other than him. However, I would expect McCloughan to point the finger back at Paraag and act as if he had nothing to do with it just like he has pretty much used Nolan as a scapegoat and avoided any acceptance of responsibility for the outlandish situation that we are currently now in.

Here's a novel idea for McCloughan and company. How about making this a quality franchise so players won't be able to hold us up in the future like Crabtree is attempting to do now. Let's make this an exciting destination for players to go to. Crabtree has every right to do what he is doing. Is it any wonder that the two longest hold-outs belonged to the Bengals and us? It's the company we keep that puts us in the situation we are currently in. Crabtree should have been in four weeks ago catching passes in a Mike Shanahan offense.

how does he have a right, he hasnt proven anything in the league, he hasnt practiced, and he wants more than the 7th pick, give me a break, he is a joke if he thinks we will cave.

So please dont defend him, he decided to holdout, not the other way around, we didnt ask him to.

well, we did give 70 million to nate clements, and 50 million to alex smith...so...

But seriously. I'm glad sing is stepp'n up and saying..."we'll move on, we dont revolve around one player, we are a team" If he gets here, he gets here..if not...see ya" I love it.

My fear is that when he does sign, if he does, and he ever does well....we'll have to cheer him...although he wont deserve it. How in the world is he ever going to be liked by any of this fan base...no body wants him anymore. Just let him sit out and get drafted by someone else next year.....oh well....we got nate davis, and glenn coffee
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

well, we did give 70 million to nate clements, and 50 million to alex smith...so...

But seriously. I'm glad sing is stepp'n up and saying..."we'll move on, we dont revolve around one player, we are a team" If he gets here, he gets here..if not...see ya" I love it.

My fear is that when he does sign, if he does, and he ever does well....we'll have to cheer him...although he wont deserve it. How in the world is he ever going to be liked by any of this fan base...no body wants him anymore. Just let him sit out and get drafted by someone else next year.....oh well....we got nate davis, and glenn coffee

that is false I know lots of people that still want him
Originally posted by backontop:

Ban this guy and get this over with already.

Yayyyyyyyy!
What's to discuss with this pinhead Ctree?

Let him sit, trade his rights just before the next draft for a #2, package a 1 and the new 2, get a franchise QB to bookend with Nate, AND SAVE A TON OF MONEY.

This guy will be a cancer, an ongoing one. I would love to watch him cry next year when most teams won't want to take a chance on him and he goes low in rnd 1 or even 2nd. A total pihead, hate this guy and all I know of him is he is greedy beyond any other rookie that has signed. Oh wait; that would be ALL the rookies.

Hope he goes away and we don't have to hear about him any more..

Ctree su*ks, Ctree su*ks........

NINERS 2009!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Yayyyyyyyy!

Let him sit, trade his rights just before the next draft for a #2, package a 1 and the new 2, get a franchise QB to bookend with Nate, AND SAVE A TON OF MONEY.

This guy will be a cancer, an ongoing one. I would love to watch him cry next year when most teams won't want to take a chance on him and he goes low in rnd 1 or even 2nd. A total pihead, hate this guy and all I know of him is he is greedy beyond any other rookie that has signed. Oh wait; that would be ALL the rookies.

NINERS 2009!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. Best post on this subject. Niners should trade his rights before the draft next year and get what they really need. A QB and a Pass rush !!!!
I guess it's the audacity and ego I resent the most, that believes they're owed so much dough when they haven't proven a single thing in the big leagues yet. I think the Bengals should be equally, if n ot more pi$$ed with that tub of lard Smith. He's the perfect example; 40 lbs overweight, shows what a head case he was at the combine and beyond, yet still has that audacious attitude to hold out demand more money! Then, he's so fat, he goes out and breaks his foot! Precious!

MadDog keeps falling back to the argument that's it's just "negotiations", or that it's Parker's genius strategy, etc, etc. What negotiations? What strategy? It's just been dead air for weeks. No negotiations. And what, a strategy to have your guy blow millions, generate fan hate, lose out on valuable training and potentially waste his first year, even if he should finally sign? Brilliant. I, like MadDog, am in awe.

And I certainly don't get those of you who would be willing to "just pay the guy already". First, it ain't coming out of your checking account, so easy for you to say. And second, but most important, Crabs is trying to hold our beloved teamn hostage, and just on principle, we should stick to the fair offer that's been sitting there from the start. If he wanted to make all that extra dough, he could have signed at the beginning, but inserted incentive clauses that would actually EARN him that money. What a concept.

It may be a blessing if he does hold out the entire season, cause I guarantee, no matter what contract he does sign, he'll want to renegotiate before it expires and will carry the Diva attitude all thru his career, unless he miraculously grows up. Then,, he could be someone else's headache. At this point, I would love to see his career on some other team start with less money than he's being offerred now, losing this year's salary, and then go the way of Mike Williams. If he signs with us, he'd better be an angel and catch virtually everything thrown his way before I'll be able to forgive him for this ridiculous holdout.

Was that too strong?
Originally posted by jogr49:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Yayyyyyyyy!

NINERS 2009!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. Best post on this subject. Niners should trade his rights before the draft next year and get what they really need. A QB and a Pass rush !!!!

You got it bro.. Seems so clear, don't it? We could do MAJOR damage in the draft next year with maybe 3 #1s, or 2 #1, 2 #2, etc..

Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
He will lose to much money if he sits out till next year. He's not dumb enough to do that. Atleast I think he isn't.

I think we might all be surprised.

I agree with you on that. Some of us might be surprised about what he is willing to do.

I think Crabtree has visions of playing for the Cowboys.

After hearing about a training camp nicknamed "Junction Boy's 2."
After seeing preseason games where we put poor numbers for our receivers.
After seeing Tony Romo's accuracy and play making ability.
After seeing the Cowboys new stadium and hearing about our old one.

He's thinking "Man, I would look good in a Cowboy's uniform. I would put up bigger numbers, have more endorsements. All I have to do is wait a year."

He has several connections to the Cowboys, and yes its against league rules, but seriously how are they going to stop him from talking to Cowboys team insiders like Deion Sanders, Irvin, etc. And who can stop those insiders from talking to decision makers in the front office?

And you know what? Who can blame him for thinking it?

But seriously, he's probably thinking that any team that picks him next year, will give him better numbers than this team.

A year long holdout would be less than surprising at this point.

You fail.
Another Crabtree update Maybe a good sign

Adam Schefter updated us yesterday on the Michael Crabtree contract talks via his blog. "These negotiations always could change quickly, but there are zero signs that the 'relationship' is thawing at all. In fact, it's just the opposite. As much as ever, it looks like Crabtree's holdout has the potential to last a long time -- well into the season and beyond."

But there may be some hope that this thing will end eventually. Within a breakdown of the situation on his blog for the Santa Rosa Press Democrat Niners beat writer Matt Maiocco notes that multiple team sources have told him that Crabtree has taken up residency in the South Bay area, which runs contrary to what someone who is entrenched for a long holdout would do.

Then again, maybe he just likes the area and he'll get a job in a boutique somewhere.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am mad like everyone else......but I got a question and not because im giving in but let's say if he is really that good(like mcshay and Kiper and everyone else says) and if ....had the 4th or 5th pick last year would we have paid him Big! I say Yes!!! But because we got sooooo lucky and got him at 10th...we going to be cheap!
just a thought.

I do not agree with you on this sir. I believe he would of pulled this on any team that was picking 10. So If we over pay crabs what will we have to pay our 2 draft picks next year?
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
Originally posted by Ricethefngoat:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Don't pay him. He'll learn his lesson the hard way. And lose out on 15 mill guaranteed like an idiot.

If he wants to sit out the entire season and re-enter the draft, i say let him. He won't get picked till the 2nd round, if that. And then he'll look like a dumbass and get paid somewhere in the $500,000 range.

No way we lose out on a number 1 WR. how could you want that to happen over a few million dollars that u will never see anyway. If we lose this guy then next year were down to B.Jones J.Morgan and J.Hill as our future, none of which have ever been anywhere close to being concidered the caliber of player Crabtree is concidered to have the potential of being. If we do not come up w/ a contract it will be viewed as a failure for the organization. Add incentives to his contract that can get him top 5 money and give him money somewhere around 7~8 spot. If we dont sign him we would probably need another wr next yr. N with Crabtree Gore will not have to keep dealing w/ 8 man fronts

I so agree with you man. They need to get him signed asap. The 49ers Front Office has gotten too much bad press over the years. You guys can use the ego/diva argument all you want but the point is you have to get your top picks signed. The 49ers were lucky to land a player with that kind of talent at the tenth spot. I hope they end this madness once and for all. The worst thing they could do is tell Crabtree screw you, you aren't worth it. They need to come to a compromise.

Don't you guys get it? If we cave and give Crabtree #7 money, (and yes it will be caving), we will be the laughing stock of the league. Remember how we all laughed at the Raiders when they gave that D Lineman, (was it Kelly?), a $55 million deal? We cave to Crabtree that is us! Not to mention that both of our 1st round picks next year will just do what Crabtree did to us and it will happen for YEARS to come.

If you want the 49ers to be respected, then they need to stand up to Crabtree. Period.
Share 49ersWebzone